1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Revolver or Semi Auto

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Specht, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Which is your choice for home protection? I lean towards revolvers as I've had and practiced with both and had every semi auto I've ever owned jam at least once during time on the range. What's your choice?

2. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

for home defense: revolver because it is less likely to jam. In addition, this is for self-defense, not to go on the offensive and make the inside of your home look like swiss cheese so having a semi-auto with high capacity does not make sense.

.357 is my choice

3. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Pistol grip pump shotgun with the shortest legal factory barrel is first on my list. Revolver is 2nd. Find a way to practice firing in the dark. That is how I learned not to carry .357 magnums in my snub nose. The two foot long ball of white fire from a snub nose with magnums leaves you blind for several seconds when you shoot in the dark. Federal .38 hollow points have a small orange flash that lets you see to make a second shot if you need to or run away if you can. That is much better tactically, even though it is inferior ballistically. Smith and Wesson makes some 8 shot revolvers if you are worried about enough ammo. All of the studies I have read in "GUNS AND WEAPONS FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT" state almost all civilian gun battles are over in a few seconds and do not require many shots.

4. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Three firearms, stashed conveniently around the house.....one, an 870 with extended magazine and eighteen inch barrel loaded with 1 1/4 ounce of sixes...don't want to go through several walls. Two, a Ruger 10-22 with CCI Velocitors, a red dot and light/laser...more for coyotes but not too bad. Three, an old but solid Charter Arms bulldog, 44 special loaded with the old Federal swc hollowpoints, soft, soft, soft.

The 44 is in a single gun vault with fingertip keypad, loaded. The 10-22 is somewhere close and available but with the loaded 25 round magazine on a shelf within easy reach and the 870 is also handy with the shells in a sidesaddle and a stock sleeve.

When the grandkids are around, the 44 is unloaded.

Wife has a Model 19 loaded with wadcutters locatged in a place easy to get, hard for someone else to find.

Probably not what a lot of people like to hear, but it works for us (or at least I think it will)...we have shot all of them a lot (another 870, in a TB, has been my trap gun for 375000 shots and 37 years, long enough to get real familiar with it as well as crack the frame). I know these are not performance center items or Les Baer's specials but these are what I like.

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Mossberg 500 with 18.5 inch barrel.

6. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

A smaller dawg and a short barrel shotgun along the lines of a model 12 (racking sound) with a 1 1/4 load of sixes works well.

dave

7. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

.45 Kimber auto. and a Browning 9mm in the nightstand. Both have night sights.

8. Loyac

Loyac Member

sernv99... I totally agree with having a revolver for home defense. But a .357 indoors with no ear protection? You can do a lot of damage with 38 +P loads and keep your hearing to boot. john

9. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

Revolver...
    There is nothing as familiar or as easy to use as a Smith revolver and you don't have to chase down the brass when on the range.
    A wide variety of calibers [22 to 45] and easy to use speed loaders or in the case of 9mm and 45 models the great invention of full or half moon clips.

10. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

You first have to look at where you live. In the counrty, in town or apartments. In the country you don't have to worry about a bullet going through your walls and hitting someone or someones house. In town and apartments you do. With a pistol you have one piece of lead going after the invador. With a shotgun you have a large number going after him. I have a 870 20" barrel with bird shot. Why? If your in the dark in someones home and you hear a pump shotgun being loaded its going to scare the hell out of you. Bird shot will not go through sheetrock, insulation and another sheet of sheetrock. That will keep the family member on the other side of the wall safe from being shot. My local police dept did a home defence class and they built a wall and showed how a bullet went through it all, buck shot did the same but bird shot didn't go through all the wall but was stopped by the second sheetrock.

11. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Reliability, go with a revolver. If you nare worried abour "home invasions" where you live,you most likely should think of a high capacity semi-auto for a backup. In cases of "home invasion" you most likely will have to deal with multiple assailants.

Phil Berkowitz

12. capvan

capvan Active Member

What I've always liked in this never-ending quest is my S&W revolver. The biggest advantage in a high stress situation is there's none of this "where is the safety" nonsense. You take the gun out of it's hiding place, point it, pull the trigger and it goes bang. Repeat. The other option with a semi auto is just to leave the safety always "off", but people just can't seem to accept this.

just my 2 cents...your mileage will vary.

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Glock 17 with jacketed hollow points ... The only automatics I have never had jam are this Glock and a Walther PPKS ... I have revolvers but they are kept in the safe and shot at the range when I go, if I go ... I also carry this Glock 17-9 for personal protection and have it with me at all times ... When it really matters make mine a Glock ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. Tydaws

Tydaws Member

In my opinion, you should shoot what you are comfortable with and what you shoot well. No Les Baer or Ed Brown piece of iron will make up for practice and being EXTREMELY familiar and comfortable with your specific weapon. Sure, some have advantages over others and we could make reccomendations all day as to what would be best for different applications. However, equipment is no substitute for practice and familiarity. As for me, its a XDM 40 with a Sig tactical light, laser combo on the night stand. Loaded with 16+1 rounds of Hornady TAP. Over 3000 rounds and yet to jam.

15. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I just recently decided to have a protecion on each floor of the house rather than just the night stand in the bedroom. I live in the burbs of Chicago and there was a recent forced entry when everyone is in the home early evening the residents were all killed. We new a man that cleaned windows for a living that was beaten to death in his home by home invaders not 5 miles from our home. Always kept a gun in the night stand but now theres one on every floor thats locked and loaded. Need to get a revolver to replace the semiauto

16. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Owned and used most over the years but the DA revolver has become the gun of choice for me: simple, no safety, no magazine, no slide, no stovepipes, no jam procedure, just point and pull. Experts need not argue, my choice.

17. bn12gg

bn12gg TS Member

.02 Pump 12g shotgun. My friend had a couple punks
    breaking into his house. When they heard that pump go
    "shuck" they screamed "shotgun" and took off running.
    Fair warning in my opinion. Also, I'm uncomfortable
    with large caliber center fire penetration thru walls.

Again, .02

David

18. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

I like and use a hammerless .22Mag revolver. It is like an old instamatic camera,point and shoot. It is devistating at close range and usually doesn't leave the "target" so you will not hurt the friendlies in the house. In the use of deadly force in a home invasion,situational awareness is most important,be familiar with the weapon and what your family will likely do in that situation, in fact have a plan. Don't shoot fast, shoot well.
    Wayne

19. dverna

dverna Active Member

It is an old argument. Either will do the job IF you know how to use them.

Most people are pretty pathetic with a handgun. I cannot count the number of times I have seen people who cannot hold a 6" group at 7 yards under relaxed range conditions.

Whatever you use - USE IT!!! That means practice. If you are not putting at least 2000 rounds a year through a pistol, you will not be a very good shot. Add the pressure of having to fight for your life, and things go south real quick.

Home defense for me is two Mossberg 500's - one on each floor. I managed an Expert rating in Bullseye, and can shoot a handgun well, so I think I would do OK with a pistol. But why use a bow saw when I have a chainsaw readily at hand - so the pump shotgun is the way to go for me.

I carry a Kahr most of the time because of its trigger (same pull on every shot), no safety, and reliability. I prefer to carry a spare mag that is easily concealed in my left pocket. At times, I carry an XD but it is bulkier. The XD has the same attributes as the Kahr in a less expensive package. Both guns sit loaded near the bed at night; but the "plan" is to get to the shotguns if possible.

Don Verna

20. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Since the response time of our local police is measured with a calendar...I figured my wife and I needed a self defense gun both of us were ok with. Secondly it needed to be where we could get to it ... fast.

I chose a 18.5 inch Mossberg pump gun with extended magazine and a clamp on Mag-light on the barrel. It shoots where the light shines. I use #6 shot for the first 2 then #4 buckshot for the last 3.

We hang the gun on a horizontal rack on the wall near our bed. I took my wife out to a friends farm (at night) and had her practice loading (chambering) the first shell and shooting a target 15 FEET away with the flashlight, in the dark. It's harder than you think it is! But now she and I are comfortable with the process and the gun.

I keep a Kimber .45 with Crimson Trace laser sights on it as a personal carry gun and it sits in the drawer in the living room when I'm home. Never had a feed problem with the gun.

Bob Schultz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.