1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Revolution of Math

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by BRGII, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Fifty Years of Math 1959-2009 (in the USA )

Last week I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl took my $ 2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters , but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried. Why do I tell you this? Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s:

1. Teaching Math In 1950s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit ?

2. Teaching Math In 1960s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

3. Teaching Math In 1970s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

4. Teaching Math In 1980s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching Math In 1990s

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers, and if you feel like crying, it's ok.)

6. Teaching Math In 2009

Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100. El costo de la producciones es $80. Cuanto dinero ha hecho?

2. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

Now that would not be funny if it were'nt true.

You forgot the carbon credit part.

tom

3. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

As a teacher, the above strikes a cord. I teach Industrial arts at the high school level, many of my students need to be taugh to read a ruler. However they are taking Algebra and trig as 10th graders but they would struggle to make change for a dollar or determine the square feet that a 4'x8' foot sheet of plaster board would cover! As teachers, at least in my school district we are working to infuse math and reading in to every class be it academic or arts.

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Lot of presumtions there, the first being that everyone acceled in mathematics twenty (or fifty) years ago ... not true. The second being that mathematics are not taught in today's public school system ... also not true. The irony here is that you expected to find intelect at Burger King.

Opportunities for quality education are as good today as they ever have been, it is up to the students (and their parents) to take advantage of this. And then of course there is a matter of genetics .... not every person is born with the mental horsepower that they need. This doesn't mean they cannot be a useful member of society.

Now can anyone explain l'Hopital's rule and the Laplace transform in the context of entering the frequency domain? Also define the imaginary number. If you don't have a clue what I'm talking about then perhaps your mathematical abilities aren't as advanced as you thought.

5. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

I think you mean Bernoulli’s rule...

and how many times do you work with harmonic oscillators...

Remember the old proverb of wetting the rock, aka….back splatter....

6. wolfram

If you can't explain it now EE, you didn't master it. Kind of like the girl that can't make change or the guy that doesn't know how to do a unit conversion. So which is more useful, sharing knowledege or humilating someone? Here is a hint, I never made any money with the humiliation thing.

7. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Wolfy buddy, I hope your shoulder isn't to sore to shoot, after all the back patting. R

8. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Back when I started college, engineering students were required to take a three week course on "Using a Slide-Rule" For all you youngsters, that was pre-Texas Instrument Calculators. Now today's students can get a more accurate answer with a solar calculator, and they still don't know how to make change. Our system just isn't working as it should. We're stuck in that mode, "press #1 for English" #2 for Spanish" or what ever language your area happens to be overun with. Let's get our schools back to basics.

9. wolfram

So you think it is okay to pass judgements such as lazy, stupid, the schools suck etc. when it come to people that don't have the mathematic skills you do but its not okay when someone points out your own shortcomings in that field. Ironically you even use the same excuse the less learned do, I just don't/won't use that stuff so therefore mastery isn't important. But I do love the ending Obama remark, geez is that all you got? Why don't you fall back on 'poopy pants' or something equally relevant?

10. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

Most can relate to a shooter at “our” club’s that are engineers, or some rocket science type that can’t load dam shot shell with a single stage MED loader…they are just one of the Forest Gump’s of the world..

11. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

A thousand pardons …..MEC…………..not MED….even if some on here are on too many meds…..

12. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Is there a possiblity or correlation between the guys that can't make the oz. gram etc. conversions and the guys that own the Krieghoffs that have blown up? Bulge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.