1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Revisit - Spotting Scope recommendation

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GBatch_25, Apr 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

I am looking for a new or lightly used spotting scope. I want an objective size of at least 60mm and a zoom magnification that will make range targets at 100 yds EASILY seen. My vision isn't the best so I want quality optics. I see Nikon and Leupold make good products and a few months ago, some on here recommended names I'd never heard of.

Feel free to recommend options for me and / or tell me your experience. If you have something for sale that might fit the bill, let me know.

Gene in Illinois

2. kenf

kenf Active Member

Check out the Vortex line- they have excellent glass. Their Viper line is better than the old VX-III line.

3. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Leupold, Nikon, I like Kowa, Zeiss, Leica are all good spotting scope.

4. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Alpen is VERY good and an excellent value. Leupold has the best warranty and is also a good value. If you ain't shoot'n 500 meter paper with a .22, you really don't need to spend more than $400.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

My brother in law has a Swift he paid 125 for and it's as good as my fancy Redfield.

You can look through all of them in one of the good stores if one is near you. Sportsmen's Warehouse, Cabela's, Bass Pro, etc.

New lower cost optics are as effective as older expensive ones.

Hint: look at the business end, not the eyepiece. The less you see of your reflection the better the optic is at light transmission. If, on examination, you see 10 percent of your image the scope is transmitting 90.

HM

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

7. BustClays

BustClays Member

I have a great Bushnell Elite Spotting Scope. 45 degree head, Fully multicoated, Phase corrected and ED Glass. 20X-60X, 80mm Objective. Comes with field case, camera adapter and 22X wide field lens. Brand new cost on-line for everything would be $1166.00 I will ship to you for half of that, $583. If you are interested, let me know and I will send pictures. Original box and papers.
    Bob

8. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

BustClays:
    Check PM.

Gene in Illinois

9. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Thanks for the suggestions and offers. I took BustClays up on his offer. Should be able to see a mosquito at 100 yds. <:)

Thx

Gene in Illinois

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.