1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

REVISED: FS M1 CARBINE

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by gdbabin, Aug 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

0   0   0

I have a Quality Hardware original U.S. government M1 Carbine I purchased through the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) a couple of years ago. It's a vintage WWII model complete with 30-round magazine, sling, oiler and purchase documentation. CMP no longer has these U.S. made weapons available.

It was an impulse buy when a co-worker who knew I liked guns asked if I wanted one as he was ordering one for himself. I've only shot it once and know I won't use it in the future. It is in great shape, runs well and shoots straight.

I'm wondering if someone might be interested in trading for a quality digital SLR camera they might have sitting in the closet that isn't being used anymore.

I'll post pictures tomorrow--and yes, they'll be camera phone pics as I don't have a better camera-- yet.

Guy Babin

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

0   0   0

I have a Korean Conflict Carbine made by Inland. It will be the very last fun thing in my gun safe to go away for whatever reason. Just way too much fun to be without and I keep thinking it just might be nice when handy in the home late at night too.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Is there a cash option price on the gun? I have a camera but not wanting to part with it. I am however mildly interested in your Carbine.---Matt

4. 682LINY

682LINY Member

0   0   0

Hello Guy,,, will you be at Westy Hogan???,,,mite like to make an offer on carbine or have a SLR to trade down there,,,,Billy

5. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

0   0   0

Billy,

I'll be at the Westy most certainly, and will bring the Carbine with.

Matt, Cash options considered, but not set (yet).

Bob,

I do love the intrinsic value of owning a piece of history, so I understand. I'm just not much of a collector of anything and wonder about the value of having it there in my safe without any attention.

Guy B

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

0   0   0

Guy,
    I have a Cannon Rebel if you are interested.
    Don Verna

7. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

0   0   0

gdbabin , Make sure you know the value of your carbine. I think it is worth much more than most cameras unless you are seeking a really professional grade camera. The carbine will increase in value. They have really shot up in value the last 10 years while cameras have steadily declined. You can get a nice camera for a couple hundred bucks. Try finding a carbine for that. The CMP sold the carbines for a fraction of their value on the open market.

8. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

0   0   0

Thanks for the advice Jerry, I'll be careful to make an educated and fair deal.

Guy

9. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

0   0   0

Does your Carbine have a flat or round bolt, what kind of safety? There are plenty of people on here that could get a pretty close value for you with a couple of good pictures. I do thing the market is not as strong as it was a few years ago but good ones still bring pretty good money. The forum linked above has some good info.

10. laura!

laura! Member

0   0   0

I was recently checking out (window shopping) digital SLR cameras and was pleasantly surprised at how they've dropped in price. Of course, you add in lenses and it still aint cheap. I don't think any of them will work with my dusty 45 lenses :(

11. grntitan

0   0   0

Guy--What "JerryP" said is very true. Without having seens pics or seeing it in person, you can get one hell of a photography setup with the value of that gun if its a nice one. I'm not calling you stupid just wanting (like Jerry) you to be careful. Those type of collector type weapons are getting harder to find. Not that i'm poor but after researching a short time i've priced myself out of the picture. Thank you anyway and good luck with your trade.---Matt

12. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

0   0   0

It's easy to confuse the CMP with the DCM. The CMP replaced the DCM and does still sell surplus Military rifles. They know when they have a valuable piece and will auction it off rather than sell it for average price. The DCM didn't bother with sorting them out and there were a lot of bargains to be had for next to nothing.

You really should have someone look at your carbine that knows carbines and will give you an honest evaluation of yours before you do anything.

The prices at the CMP these days are getting a little stiff especially when they are sorting the choice ones out.

BTW the CMP is also a privately owned......no, no.. not really owned....I should say privately managed company......another non-profit nonetheless. It's quite different than the DCM was.

13. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

0   0   0

All good advice everyone—thank you.

After I get a haircut this morning I'll go through my Carbine and provide more detail. I have a book "U.S. M1 Carbines, Wartime Production" by Craig Riesch that is pretty detailed in identifying all the parts, markings etc.
    ‘I'll also provide detailed pictures today-- it's my Saturday project.

1911CCW, I’ll be asking the experts including you to help me value what I have.

I have the certificate of authenticity from the CMP.

Laura, I could use some of your expertise on the digitals as well. I'm looking for a higher-end model, not a point and shoot "pocket" camera.

My thinking here was to trade one nice item not being used or properly appreciated for another.

Guy

14. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

0   0   0

Here's some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

0   0   0

Quality Type IB rcvr

Inland barrel 4-43

16. Joey  S.

Joey S. TS Member

0   0   0

Guy, you have a PM Thanks, Joe S.

17. grntitan

0   0   0

Very clean and nice M1 Guy.--Matt

18. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

0   0   0

I'm in the process of assessing a fair price for cash sale.

The Carbine is still avail.

Thanks to all responders.

More to follow.

Guy

19. 682LINY

682LINY Member

0   0   0

Keep me in mind,,,,still getting info on Yashica Digatial SLR that my friend has for sale

20. JTEA

JTEA Member

0   0   0

PM sent

JT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.