1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reviews on Mossberg 510 Mini 20 gauge

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tafable, Sep 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tafable

tafable TS Member

Looking for reviews on the new 20 gauge Mossberg 510 Mini. Any feedback about
    the Good, the Bad, but hopefully no Ugly ('cause I intend to get one). How
    practical is it for kids/ youths to use? Thanks....
    Talby Afable - Clarksburg MD

2. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

From Mossberg - "tipping the scales at just five pounds"

My experience with light fix-breech 20 gauge guns for youth is the recoil is just plain brutal. Until you personally fire a couple of rounds through one you'll never believe just how brutal.

3. tafable

tafable TS Member

I just read an article about fix-breech recoil. Made me think...if I should look into a 410ga first.
    I have seen gauge minimizing inserts for my O/U: 12ga to 20, 12ga to 410ga. Never tried them though.
    I wonder if inserts (for pump shotguns) are available to convert 20ga to 410ga.

4. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

Do yourself a favor, get a 28ga, much more versatile, soft shooting, and ammo is no more expensive than 410...WC

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    WC....Problem is Mossberg doesn't make a 28ga. Remington and Browning do, but they aren't youth size guns, and they cost twice as much as Mossberg pumps.

As mentioned, recoil is going to be stiff. If you're on a budget, see if you can find a used Rem 1100 LT-20. The gas action really softens recoil. Remington is also making a youth model 1187 20ga. These guns will cycle cheaper Mao-Mart promotional loads, which are a 1/4 dram less than what the 12ga guns will cycle. These are 20ga 7/8 oz 2.5 dram loads. Recoil is very, very soft with these in the gas autos. And the LT-20 has a skinnier forend and a slimmer grip. Youth stocks are available, or wood stocks can be cut down. Your kid's shoulder will thank you. There's nothing worse than a kid losing interest because of recoil induced flinch causing them to miss all the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mossberg 510 mini 20 gauge review

mossberg 510 mini review

mossberg 510 mini shotgun review

mossberg 510 review

mossberg 510 reviews

mossberg mini 20 reviews
mossberg mini 510 review
mosseberg 510 reviews