1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reversing a bluing job

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by thomaslea1, Jun 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

A little off topic, but I have come to own a Colt 1911-A1 that for all general purposes is new. I bought it from the guy that cleaned the cosmoline off it and shot it 50 times. Then, as a surprise to him (a real surprise) his wife took it and had it blued for him for a present! I bought it and shot it 10 times and parked it in the drawer of the nightstand.
    Question: can the bluing be 'undone' to restore the gun to it's original condition?

Thanks

Tom

2. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

3. Miles

Miles Member

yes you can easily remove bluing. there are many ways. what finish was on the .45 originally?

4. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Miles he is asking IF he can take the re-blue off and STILL have the original finish on it .

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

The bluing cannot be removed and expose the original finish. The original finish was removed and then the gun was blued.

A more relevant question is can he remove the bluing his wife gave him and retain his marriage?

Pat Ireland

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Pat.. I think so.. I tell people of the 3 worst sins.. To try to sleep and sleep not.. To try to please and please not...and to wait for one who comeith not.. Give the wife an A+ for trying to please.. just she choose the wrong way to show she really loves her man.. How many wifes would get a gun reblued just to make him happy..??? Tom.. you've got a keeper there.. You'll get more mileage over the years telling the story than you know today.. Might I suggest in the future you leave a note where she could find it stating your stock dimentions for a "custom" stock for your favorite gun.. Might make life easier.. All Good... and Tom.. I'll say again.. You're a lucky guy.. Mike

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Pat has a good point

8. Miles

Miles Member

whoops. i read the original post 3 times and maybe i misunderstood but i figured many other finishes of 1911's would not take a bluing and also if the item had a better finish i would think that some one that could blue it would warn his wife that it might not be such a good idea. anyway, that is the reason i asked "what was the original finish?". maybe there is more to this, maybe not.

9. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

, I have one of the new Colt 1911 A-1,s and it came Matt-Black

10. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

HOw does it look now?

11. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

Guess I stated it incorrectly. I assume the original finish was some type of mat-black, parkerized, or something like that, but I don't know. I do realize that you cannot remove the bluing and still have the original finish underneath. But, can the bluing be removed and the original finish be re-applied, therefore restoring the gun to it's original finish and therefore salvaging the value of the gun? I have been told that the bluing seriously devalued the gun.

12. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Sure you can ?? No reason why not .

13. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Buy a new gun its easier.

14. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

thomslea1
    Yes, you can have the gun re-finished, but once you have reblued a collectable it will take away from the value of the gun for most serious collectors. I like to shoot them. I guess the question is do you know if this gun was of recent manufacture or was it some WWI relic that was found new in a box somewhere? When you said "colsomine" that usually denotes some type of military arm that was discovered.

My dad once found an entire crate of Springfield 45-70's in a warehouse he was demolishing, all the guns were like new and even had the 3 sided bayonets and scabbards with them. This happened over 55 years ago and I think there was some 10 or 12 guns in the crate all wrapped up. He was not into guns and did not know if they had any real value so he gave all but two away to his friends.
    He gave me one and it was stolen back in the 70's. I remember it was manufactured in 1889. You hear stories like this all the time, some are true, most are big yarns. But sometimes some really valuable gems turn up out of the blue.

15. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Thank wife

Shoot gun

Do not transpose.

Lou

16. Miles

Miles Member

thomas...

the bluing of course can be removed.

but you say you 'think' it may have originally been 'parkerized' and if so that is about the cheapest finish there is that is [pretty] stable.

others say you will lose valve by re-finishing, but i don't agree but that is opinion. what do i know. i hope nobody tells doug turnbull [doug turnbull restoration, inc.] as his work can increase the value. and that is not just my opinion.

for one: bluing is a vast improvement over parkerized especially over the cheap crap colt puts out on their base 1911's.

so again it begs the question; what is bothering you about the finish?

a good blued 1911 can be [and should be] beautiful and requires a lot more work.

17. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I think he would be BLUE BALLED.

18. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

If it is a commercial 1911-A1 it will have a C in the serial number and would have been blued. If it is a military pistol it will probably say US Property on it and would have been parkarized but there were some military 45's that were blued early on IIRC. Since it has been refinished once it won't hurt to refinish it again as the collector value of a mint 1911-A1 has already been wasted. If you don't like it like it as is, have it refinished back to what it should be by someone who will do it right. If you want to pm me the serial number I can probably find out when it was made.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.