1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reverse tracking for "missing" shotgun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bueno, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bueno

Bueno Member

Had a friend recently, in a charity sporting clays event in Georgia, who had his shotgun, a SO6 EELL Beretta taken by another shooter off the rack, at the end of the shoot. There was another gun a less expensive Beretta 687 left at the rack after all the shooters went home.
    The owner of the SO6 EELL assumed the best, that the gun was taken by error by the distracted shooter who took the gun home, and left his own gun at the rack.
    Efforts to trace the present owner of the Beretta 687 through the serial number failed, and he did not make any sign of discovering his "mistake" and returning the gun to the rightful owner.
    I suggested he contact Beretta and supply the serial number of the shotgun that was left at the rack, and ask them what dealer they shipped the gun to, for tracking purposes. Beretta did just that, and supplied the name of the dealer that the gun was shipped to, then he contacted the dealer with the serial number of the gun and they supplied the purchaser's name and address. He then contacted the shooter who replied that he was unaware that he had taken the wrong gun, and promptly returned the SO6 and got his own gun back.
    A few weeks and months transpired before he got his prized SO6 returned, and he was lucky, thanks to reverse tracking, if the owner of the Beretta 687 never shot it again, or passed away, he would never have gotten it back.

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

No he was lucky that the 687 was not re-sold five times. Then he would have never been able to track it down.

But then again what kind of dumb asshole does not recognize a 687 for an EELL S06. I think it was done on purpose and he oly got it back because he was able to track down the d-bag that took his S06.

3. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

This is EXACTLY why the gun never leaves my sight, even on the rack.

4. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I think calling this "guy" an asshole is a little harsh, I am sure you have done some brain dead things and would take to great offense if you were called an asshole for doing it.

We all make mistakes and in this case that's just what it was. Granted the owner had to jump through some hoops, but in the end it all worked out.

What I am surprised is the dealer willingly giving him the name and address of the other person.

Bryan

5. Bueno

Bueno Member

vpr80
    You are correct regarding he was lucky the gun had not been sold five times. I have had my new competition gun a Blaser SS 32" with a distinctive G-Square recoild reducer taken from the rack, "by mistake", by a shooter who claimed he had a K-80 32" that looked the same, but it really did not.
    Shooters must be alert when shooting and never leave their gun unattended, away from their eyes. Even then, there has been cases of delinquents taking guns and running away with them to their cars.
    In this economy, there are a lot of desperate people out there, so the morale of the story is: NEVER leave your gun unattended in the rack, even while shooting with "friends", so you won't be sorry later. Even if you have to pee, take your gun to your car and lock it first.

6. Bueno

Bueno Member

PS: The dealer contacted the owner of the gun first before giving out that information. Anyway he was well known by the person who was searching for his own gun.

7. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I would go buy a lottery ticket today.

8. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

If it was my gun that was taken, harsh adjectives would be least of his problems.

At what point between taking the gun, putting in the case, driving home, then possibly taking it out of the case and putting it into the safe did the guy not realize that it is not a 687?

Doing a dumb thing is picking it up from the rack, realizing it's not yours and putting it back. Taking the gun home and assuming it as your own for months is WAY beyond dumb.

9. Bueno

Bueno Member

vpr80

Maybe he put it in a soft case and didn't open anymore. An occasional shooter might do this. The whole thing seems fishy to me, because of the amount of time that passed. Maybe the guy was just wait and see what was going to happen, and maybe have an opportunity to keep the gun.
    Once flying back from Argentina, someone took my carry on, again "by mistake", and left and identical looking one in the overhead luggage bin. If I hadn't acted real fast and made a big stink and called the police when we landed at a stopover, it would have been a goner. The other carry on had no name and the contents were old clothes and crumpled newspapers. My carry on had a computer and an expensive watch but by chance I had lock it before stowing it, and that saved me. The person that took it claimed it was an honest mistake, and he got an ear full from me of every kind of curse word there is, and later the airline reps told me this type of thing happens all the time.

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I did accidentially pick up another mans gun at a shoot one time, shot the first trap straight with it and never noticed a difference in it or that my Model 12 that was left sitting in the gun rack ... The Gentleman approached me in between rounds and commented on the Model 12 I was shooting and then he said he would trade me the one in his hand for his, which was the gun I was shooting ... I didn't know what to say other than "Thanks for letting me use it for one trap" and I bought him lunch later that day ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I think the reverse tracking was a good idea. BUT if the 687 was sold multiple time the out come may not of been the same.
    I'm glad he got his EELL SO6 back.
    I saw a guy pick up my friends Kriegoff and I said Sir that's not your gun. He said yes it is it had Muller Chokes in it.
    It's amazing how people pick out there gun on the rack.

12. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Not a mistake...the guy is a out and out thief!

Curt

13. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Curt. Duh? What "out and out thief" leaves another gun in exchange for for one he steals, especially one that could be tracked to him?

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

If you are so non-observent that you pick up the wrong gun and take it home, you don't need to be shooting one in the first place. When handling and shooting firearms your head needs to be 100% in what you are doing. I just don't see how this could be an accident. You don't even discover it after weeks or months?? What did he do, leave this guys SO6 EELL in a case uncleaned for that length of time? I wouldn't have been too nice when i found him with my gun. People are wayyy too naive.

15. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

I've seen BUENO lose his temper before! Believe me, the baggage trader will NEVER make that mistake again!

16. copper

copper Member

YA When you pick up a gun take home out of a rack of guns. I would tell club to check for stolen guns and find out how often this guy shoots here he done this before once a thief

17. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

s06

[​IMG]

687EELL

somethings just might be possible...

18. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

big m you beat me to it. I don't know, but calling this guy an asshole got me going.

Really here are some larger images to look at.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Come on, it is possible.

19. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Yeah i suppose anything is possible when you have idiots running around. My Beretta 682 Gold E looks alot like the other 682 Gold E's but i've never taken someone elses gun home for a month.

20. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I've tried to stick my key in the wrong car before... I have seen guys grab the wrong gun. There are so many BT-99 and Browning o/u's at one club I've been to, they have their names in print, on the forearms.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.