1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reverse Score

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by minnship8, Oct 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

Please explain reverse score to me. "i.e. in the case of ties, winners will be determined by reverse score".

Is it the score total from the last trap or just go back to the last missed bird, or some other variant?

Thanks,
    Chip

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

"Reverse score" would be subevent by subevent.

For example: If you and another shooter were tied with a 99 and you shot it as 24,25,25,25 and the other shooter shot it as 25,25,25,24, using reverse score you would win.

If you went target by target it would be indicated as "long run from the rear" or "long run from the front."

3. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

It's how many targets each shooter broke AFTER after they broke their last target. The shooter who broke the most has the longer reverse score.

Mike K

4. motrap

motrap Member

V10 is correct

5. brownk80

brownk80 Member

Simple, last person to lose a target loses.

6. Joe Schmo

Joe Schmo Member

V10 is correct. It is by sub-event (25) score, not by reverse long run.

7. minnship8

It seems that there are two schools of thought here...

I'm trying to understand because I was involved in a tie this past weekend and it was to be decided by reverse score, according to the program. I had a 3 hour drive home and didn't want to hang around another couple of hours until the program concluded to find out...(a couple of weeks before, I left after knowing I had a tie, thinking that there was no shoot off and that it was going to be decided by reverse score...I should have stayed for the shootoff but didn't understand the language in the program...wound up 2nd....so naturally, I'd like a clearer picture of these things moving forward...and I'll continue to work on my reading comprehension :) )

So by sub event, in the case of doubles, a 42, 44 would beat a 43, 43 and it wouldn't matter when the most recent dropped target occurred, correct?

8. Joe Schmo

Joe Schmo Member

Correct. The 44 would previal.

The only way reverse long run comes into play is in a tie breaker. IE: If both shooters broke their score the same way. Like each had 23-24-25-24. Management would then start at the 100th target and go backwards.

Hope it helps

9. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

joe schmo, not always, depends who had the long run.

brownk80 has it correct.
    Robert

10. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Minnship8 ... your example many not always win!

A 43/43 could beat a 42/44 ... for example the 43/43 could have missed the 1st 2 birds on the last trap and have a long run of 23 and the 42/44could have missed his next to last bird and wind up with a long run of 1.

11. oddlott

oddlott Member

Joe, I think you’re wrong. If they both had 86 even though the second trap was 44 & 43, you still have to go backwards to the first miss.

12. MisterHappy

MisterHappy Member

At my small club, we do it by longest run from the start.

If this fails, we go to rock/psper/scissors.

;-)

13. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

What happened to shoot-offs?

Dice, cards, reverse scores, if the event won't be decided by shooting, why even bother shooting the event at all? Put a bunch of scores on slips in a can; have participants draw a score from a can; highest draw wins. Cheaper, faster and probably just as meaningful.

Mike K

14. minnship8

I'm not sure why they wouldn't decide all ties by shoot off...is it all in the interest of time?

15. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

Chip, a lot of times it is economics.... I've shot off 150 birds for a $15.00 trophy, the club has to supply these targets for free, so if they are trying to keep cost low, there is an incentive to use the reverse or forward run score, at Janesville if it is not advertised in the flier at the beginning of the shoot, there is a die, that is tossed, odd = front run, even = reverse.

With the reverse run, it keeps people from sandbagging, because if they wanted to manage targets, they would have to drop the first few instead of shooting a run and then dropping birds to keep the average low.

tony

16. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Time could be a consideration, but cost could be too. A club doesn't make money throwing shoot off targets. And if the shoot off is for a small shoot trophy a lot of shooters don't want to be bothered (yeah, the targets are "free," but you still have to burn up shells.)

So using the reverse subevent scores as a proxy for the shoot off subevents is one method of breaking a tie. Some may disagree, but since it was, apparently, stated in the program then everyone knew going in what would happen in the event of a tie and presumably everyone was ok with that.

It's not always stated in the program, so you're better off asking how ties will be resolved rather than assuming what method will be used.

17. Joe Schmo

Joe Schmo Member

Okay guys, thanks for the input above. I have described what is known TO ME as "Reverse Score" versus "Reverse Long Run". To the best of my understanding, "Reverse Long Run" is when you start counting at bird number 100 and begin counting backwards looking for the first miss.

"Reverse Score" to the best of my understanding is the highest score in the last sub-event. For example: If shooters were tied with 96, the last 25 targets of each shooter would be examined to see who broke the most out of the last 25. The shooter with the highest score out of the last 25 wins. So, 24 would beat 23, EVEN IF the shooter with the 24 missed his last target. If there is a tie in the last sub-event, all previous sub-events are considered.

In the event the shooters broke their tie score by breaking the same score during each sub-event, the "Reverse Long Run" method would be employed to break the tie even though the shoot program declares "Reverse Score"..

Some clubs use Reverse Long Run, and others use Reverse Score. Other clubs even use "Long Run Front".

With all of that said, it is still my understanding that "Reverse Score" and "Reverse Long Run" are not the same thing.

Respectfully:

Jim Barnes

18. Joe Schmo

Joe Schmo Member

And to further complicate:

I have seen shoot programs which declare ties will be decided by "Reverse Score" and then the club managers have employed the "Reverse Long Run" to break ties.

I just think that shooters should understand which method is being used and how each works. I do not really have an opinion on which is more fair.

Jim Barnes

19. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Jim has described it perfectly, don't confuse the two and you will be fine.

20. jsteenson

jsteenson Member

I get my golf and trap scores mixed up Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how do you decide who wins a 100 bird trap shoot in a tie
long run trap shooting
reverse scoring
trap shooting reverse scoring
trapshooting long run front
trapshooting reverse run