1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Returning shooter seeks advice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DBLMTHM, Feb 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DBLMTHM

DBLMTHM Member

I am returning to trapshooting after a 16 year layoff. Currently shooting a Ljutic mono 34 full with factory release. 70/30. I'm looking for a doubles gun, used to shoot a Remington 3200 with double releases. In these economically challenged times I'm looking at used Browning XTs and used Berettas. As I see it the problem is the double release triggers inasmuch as they will add to the cost of the used gun. I would love an older used Perazzi but they may be out of my price range. I'm interested in any of your opinions, advice, abuse, whatever regarding which doubles gun I should consider.
    20 years ago I was an A-27-A shooter. Not quite back to form yet, but I'm trying. Thanks to all for your help. David Lawhon

2. below 0

below 0 TS Member

David...I too re-started my shooting after raising a family. I had a 18 year layoff and restarted in 1995. As for the XT...I shot one with releases for several years before finding a used Kolar which I have shot now the past 8 years. I live in Southern Minnesota and know where my old XT is and may be able to purchase it back. Let me know if you may be interested. Dale

3. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

No advice on a gun but welcome back. Bill

4. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

I will second what Bill Grill said.

bocephas

5. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I will 3rd what bocephas said.

6. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Don't listen to ANY advice given on this forum.......no wait.er.....hmmm

7. DBLMTHM

DBLMTHM Member

Thanks to all for the "Welcome Backs".

David

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Get a Remington 3200 like the one you had. HMB

9. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

David

Your ATA experience sounds like mine although I always shot pull triggers. I shot ATA from 1979 through 1991 with a Ljutic Mono 34" and a Remington 3200 32" for doubles. I was AA-27-AA

Then I quit for 15 years. I started back in 2006 by shooting nothing but practice for the whole year - no registered. I then registered in 2007 and 2008. I now shoot a Caesar Guerini combo 34"US - 32" O/U and like it better than any gun I have ever shot. I am now AA-26.5-A

Have you noticed how much higher they are throwing targets today versus yesterday? The targets use to come out go into an apex then fall. Seems like today the targets come out and just keep going up. That's probably due to the 'prefered 9 to 9 1/2' foot target rule. If you take a 9 1/2 foot 'T' bar and then throw a target just over the top you've got 10' high targets. I believe that's why shooters are now shootin 100% high guns.

Welcome back and remember to not get discouraged. It's the same road except the road just got a lot rougher.

Michael Stephenson

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.