1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Return to Makin Island. VETS please watch.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), Jul 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Aug 27, 2007
    West Central Florida
    This is one interesting story I never heard.

It is amazing the respect and integrity our service members have for each other. They are what makes our Country great. It is ashame that our politicians can't behave in a similar manner. Especially this administration. Mike

True story of the recovery of 19 US Marines Killed in Action on Makin Island in WWII and their return home to Arlington National Cemetery 58 years later. Story: Pat Mendoza. Music arranged by Pat Mendoza Trumpet: Steve Wiest. Singers: the Islanders and Pat Mendoza
    For information on the one hour video contact

Category: Music
    Tags: ReturntoMakinIslandiPodVersionLicense:Standard YouTube License
    1,221 likes, 30 dislikes Enjoy,Mike

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C6f_FvZpm3g?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C6f_FvZpm3g?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>
  2. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2007
    I had the privilege to attend the internment ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery for the Makin Marines. My father is a WWII Marine Raider, who received the first of 3 Purple Hearts during another Gilbert Islands raid a few days after the Makin action.

There were a surprising number of Old Raiders there, and the stories were flying hot and heavy during the reunion. Few people actually know the depth of the sacrifices and outright heroism displayed on a daily basis by these men.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.