1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Retriever Training Books

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jakearoo, Jun 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Just got a new fireball field golden for my son. Been a considerable while since I was into training retrievers. I have Bill Tarrant's "Fetch it up Pup" and of course "Training your Retriever" by James Lamb Free. But, I suspect these are dated and there are good books out by modern trainers. Suggestions? (Please refrain from suggesting Wolters "Water Dog.") Regards, Jake

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I think Tarrants book is as good as it gets ( been looking for my copy and cant find it)for hunting retrievers and some field trial applications

Now on the electronic side- there are a bunch of videos that show how a collar works in retriever training-- go to one of the retriever training forums and ask that question

here is one retrievertraining

http://www.retrievertraining.net/

regards from Iowa

Gene

3. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Try "The Ultimate Guide to Bird Dog Training" (book) by Jerome B. Robinson. It's based on pointer training, but for obedience you can't beat it. All training is based on obedience anyway. If you want to progress into hand and whistle signals, don't rely on a tape or book, start out with a professional trainer. He can tell you how soft your dog is, and in what time frame you should expect to see advancement. Consistant corections are paramount in proper training.

4. butcher

butcher Member

Go with the "Smart Work" retriever books by Evan Graham. You won't be sorry, I promise.

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

If you want to train a Golden for upland birds without use of the e-collar I would suggest a book by David Michael Duffey or a copy of Gun Dog Training Spaniels and Retrievers by Kenneth C. Roebook. Goldens generally have a softer disposition and may not respond to the 'discipline' that a Lab or Chesapeake will take in stride.

6. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

I am also a book person, but the tape and disc series by Mike Lardy are an invaluable tool for retriever training. You can go to Working Retriever Central on the net and get more info. For advanced handling get "Training Retrievers to Handle by D.L. Walters.
    Go Well
    Wayne

7. Texas Crew'd

Texas Crew'd Member

I hunt with a golden. 95% of the time he is the family pet. I was recomended the 10 minute retriever prior to getting the pup. It's a very easy read and my wife and daughter have read it just to put everyone on the same page. I have had great success using these methods. The second time out my 10 month old pup was making 30 and 60 yard blind water retrieves on dove.

There are many good books on retrievers. My sugestion would be what ever book or method you select is to have the entire family read it so methods are reinforced by everyone the pup is in contact with.

Garry Barney

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.