1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Retriever Training Books

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bridgetoofar, Mar 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

What are some of the better retriever training books available?

2. GBR

GBR Member

Bridgetofar: The books I have followed are Water Dog by Richard Wolters and the ten minute retriever. There are some other good books on the market as well. GBR

3. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

You don'tneed to teach a retriver to do what they live for. Get that dog to know that you love him or her and that dog will work for you lik crazy. Be firm during the early training and take the dog to the field early and often reassuring the dog that gun fire won't hurt them and that dog will be great. Just be that dogs friend and watch how easy obedience traing comes.

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

If you want to train for field trials and plan to use an e-collar to force break that requires a whole training method based on the e-collar. If you plan to train for hunting upland birds and waterfowl without an e-collar, I would get a book by David Michael Duffey or Ken Roebuck??. The books by Richard Wolters are OK but are pretty old and seem to oversimplify things. The classic and still great book is "Training Your Retriever" by James Lamb Free.

5. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Thanks all... I'll scout up a few of these titles.

gmag,

I have a copy of Free's book, but was looking for something a little newer to compare methods with. The Free book even though quite dated is good basic stuff, makes sense and is pretty straight forward. I have more than a fair amount of experience with pointing breeds, but Labs are another world and I have a pup coming next month.

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Hey pup fetch it up by Bill Tarrant

7. Murphy

Murphy Member

The Working Retrievers by Tom Quinn, also Mike Lardy who seems to have the most titles in the nationals, has a couple of excellent dvd's on marking and handling. The James Lamb Free WAS the book of his day but that was 40yrs ago, it is interesting to see the work done then in Nationals vs the work done today. I think this is lke most sports new methods, breeding, e-collar etc. I have had the Traing you retriever book for 40 yrs and the working retriever by Quinn for 15, get them both but train with Quinn's book, only use James Lamb Free's book to see how far these wonderful dogs have progressed. Good Luck Dave

8. Joe O

Joe O Member

Retriever Training a Back-to-Basics Approach by Robert Milner. This guy just oozes common sense. I've read James Lamb Free and Wolters and like them but this one just works the best for me. Working on my 3rd Lab with his methods and it just clicks and it's FUN. He just seems to get the results a little easier for me. I highly recommend it!
    Joe O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.