1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

retraction by Handlepuller - prior archery thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by handlepuller, Oct 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Someone in an earlier thread asked about arrow rests on a new bow.

I had said I was a fan of the Whisker Biscuit which is what I always used. Recently, however, I got new arrows with Blazer fletching which is the higher profile fletching.

These don't shoot well through my Whisker Biscuit! Not consistent, loud, and I just wasn't happy with it. The fletching seems to hit the filaments of the Biscuit at a weird angle and it definitely affects the flight.

I had a dropaway rest put on today and it shoots lights out.

So, what type of rest works for you might be dependent on what arrows you use.

2. locdoc

locdoc Member

Good info. Thanks, HP

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

3. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

On any bow the less that is touching the arrow as it is shot(arrow rest)the better off you are. Are Blazer Fletch plastic if so remember plastic fletch is very unforgiving.

If there is any doubt about that statement take 12 arrows have them fletch in the same jig six with plastic and six with feathers. Then shoot them from the same bow at the same target and see what the results are.

If a shooter can shoot a 4" group at 20 yards it should be an interesting awakening for any that don't know what the out come will be.

HP I am glad you found out that biscuits are better on the supper table than your bow.

Bob Lawless

4. handlepuller

The other fletching was plastic too Bob but it was longer and lower profile compared to this. It slid through the biscuit real easy whereas this doesn't.

I do like how the biscuit holds the arrow in place, but I didn't want to sacrifice accuracy.

5. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

I am an archery pro shop owner and dealer in Ca. I am not in love with the whisker biscuit but, I find that the blazer vanes shoot as well as any vanes through a biscuit. Most likely the arrow nocks need to be turned so that the hen vanes clear the black whiskers as they are stiffer than the brown whiskers. The cock vane needs to be straight up. Are the new arrows the same diameter and same spine as the arrows that you were shooting. It is true that feather fletching is more forgiving at times, but they do have serious downfalls for the all weather bowhunter. They wear out and get shotup faster and they are considerably louder in flight and slow down faster at longer ranges. In a well tuned compound bow, they have absolutely no accuracy advantage. Fact is that 99.9% of all top tournament archers use Plastic vane fletching. The western bowhunter must be proficient at much longer ranges than the eastern bowhunter. Bill Hom

6. crusha

crusha TS Member

Biscuits are ok for kids, rednecks, and people who don't know how to set up their bow.

7. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Bill, I have no idea of what you are talking about. It is like a different language, wow!

8. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I'm with Bill on this one. On my target bow which is only 54 lb pull I use a drop away, however my hunting bows all have biscuits. Apparently some with strong opinions don't experience the type of hunting we do in Georgia. While sitting on a 8 x 10 inch lock on stand 20 feet up a tree in a cypress swamp or pine tree in a grown up thicket it's rather difficult to shoot a drop away. While hunting in open areas or even from a box stand it's a lot easier to shoot a drop away. As for as accuracy, you can come and try to outshoot me anytime. I'll use a biscuit and you can use a dropaway. I'm not saying I'm good, I just want to see you shoot so much better than I with your dropaway.

Jackie B.

9. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I used a biscut and loved it until I got the blazer vanes. I either shot more or the biscut just eats the fletching up faster than typical profile vanes. I now use a drop away and I like it. I can't tell a great deal of increased accuracy with it because I honestly don't believe I can shoot precisely enough too. My drop away has a bar that swings down to trap the arrow, doing exactly what made me fall in love with the biscut in the first place.

10. Bill Hom

320090T
    It is a different language. It was was not meant to confuse someone that apparently knows little of nothing about archery. Only trying to be helpful to Handlepuller or other bowhunters Bill Hom

11. handlepuller

I agree with all the good things said about Whisker Biscuits and I touted it in on the other thread, which is why I felt the need to start this thread.

I love how the WB holds the arrow, it's just that with these arrows, which ARE the identical spine, weight, length, etc. as the previous arrows, my bow wasn't shooting as accurately or consistently. It was enough of a difference that I wasn't comfortable deer hunting with it.

After looking at things I noticed how the Blazer vanes hit the biscuit differently than the previous ones. I figured I had to try a new rest and changing to the dropaway took care of the accuracy issues.

Obviously you gotta go with what works for you. This thread is simply a heads up that with Blazer vanes, the Whisker Biscuit might not be the best rest.

12. Chadshot

Chadshot Member

When I purchased my new bow last spring I had trouble with accuracy and my blazers holding up, I switched to the QUAD ultra rest and won't look back.

13. Bill Hom

Chadshot I must agree with you on the QAD Ultra rests, they are by far the most consistently accurate,trouble free rests that I sell. I have them on all of my 3D and hunting bows. Bill Hom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.