1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Retiring. Need place with shooting and fishin

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Questor, Dec 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Questor

Questor TS Member

I'm fixing to retire and am starting to look at warmer climates than Minnesota that have shooting and fishing year-round. Can you give me a few ideas?

Thanks.

2. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

florida arizona

3. coyote_198

coyote_198 TS Member

KINGSBURG, CA.

4. vegas blaster

vegas blaster TS Member

Vegas man!

Jeff K.

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Kerrville, Texas....

6. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Madagascar !

7. William681

William681 Member

Try this link:
    http://www.tobrays.com
    What could you want??
    Bill

8. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Questor: Proceed carefully and be sure you visit any area of the country that interests you and if possible; rent for a year or more. I retired and was going to live the American dream. (Sit under a palm tree and sip Pina Coladas) So l sold my house in Wisconsin and bought one in Florida. BIG MISTAKE. Florida is "wall to wall" people along with humidity and bugs. BIG bugs. So I sold the house and moved to Arkansas. Still isn't the same. Much cheaper to live here than Wisconsin. But I wish I were back home. (Wisconsin). You might find that in time you wished you would have stayed in Minnesota. Again, rent or lease and find out if the area you are interested in is what you really want. Ed

9. 682LINY

682LINY Member

I kinda like Tenn,,,,still a little snow,,,,gets a littlle cold but not for long,,,,hate deer hunting in a t-shirt,,,it just aint right,,,,pleanty of fishin and nice folks,,,,execpt a few who call northerners who stay DAMM YANKEE's,,,,see above liink for Fairfield glade ,,,follow link to sportsmans club http://www.ffgsc.com/ cut and paste

10. i_shoot

i_shoot Member

North Georgia is a great place as well. Close to lots of big cities but far enough away to get peace & quiet as well as beautiful scenery.

i_shoot

11. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

esoxhunter is absolutely correct...proceed slowly & carefully.

I can tell you that here in Delaware there is plenty of fresh & saltwater fishing. We're inbetween the Atlantic Ocean & the Chesepaeake Bay. There are lots of gun clubs within a short ride. No sales tax and reasonable property values in most parts of the state.

It does (or can) get cold here, but normally for only about 8 - 10 weeks. We normally shoot registered targets in good weather from March thru October.

But as Dorothy stated so very well many, many years ago...There's no place like home!!

I'm retired and the good news is that I did not have to relocate...

Curt - Delaware

12. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

Anywhere OUTSIDE of the sate of CALIFORNIA!......Geeesh!

13. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Questor.... I have to agree with a couple of the above posts. We looked for several years for the "ideal" place to retire. We finally narrowed it down to Kerrville, Texas. A beautiful place, good land values, great weather, lots of recreation, and more shooting than you can imagine. After more careful consideration, and almost buying a place there, we decided that where we are is as good as anyplace else for several reasons. We own our home, have many friends and family close by, have our own doctors, dentists, etc., and we have most everything we could want right here. We are very familiar with the entire area and know where everything is within 500 miles and how to get there. Yes, I know, it's still California, but, this is where we feel the most comfortable and at peace with our lives. We decided it would be too much to sell our home here, leave family and friends, move all the way to Texas and, basically, start over in a new place where we knew nobody. I have to tell you that since making that decision, we are totally at ease with our choice and no longer even think about it........Dan Thome (Trap2)

14. Questor

Questor TS Member

EsoxHunter:

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I'm 100% in agreement with you on the means of testing a new place. I'm originally from the South so I'm no stranger to big bugs and high humidity. But growth in Florida and trends in property taxes there are rather unappealing.

15. grammie

grammie TS Member

For a person that just can't get enough hunting and fishing,,but dosen't want the cold weather unless you choose to go out in it,,,,,,Only one place in the lower 48 would give you the room,,the freedom,,and great topography,,,,There is only one place------a place you could mistake for heaven,,,,The Jarbridge Wilderness in Northern Nevada!!!!!!!!! Lakes,,,Alpine lakes,,and mountains,,hunting and fishing,,,and far enough away from everything else,,that only those that have simialr likes and needs stay there.....

AKA Grammie.......

16. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

You could move to New Orleans. They have fishing year round and shootings about every night. :) Jim

17. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Jim, that was just too funny. True but funny. Jackie B.

18. BustClays

BustClays Member

Moved to FL almost 4 yrs ago from central NY to escape the winters. Love the weather, target shooting is pricier, hunting is not easy to find, firearms are very easy to purchase and CCW is will issue. I don't fish but I hear it's outstanding. North central FL, Ocala/Gainesville area (Go Gators!!) is not crowded nor are the taxes very high. Gently rolling countryside w/horse and beef farms, plenty of woods to get lost in (Ocala NF). We moved to a gated community so finding friends was easy, security is great. I would not go back to NYS, but then my sons are in AZ and KY, so I have no compelling reasons to return. Property tax structure will continue to improve thanx to new Homestead Exemptions, now at -25% with a 3%/yr cap on increases. Prices are coming way down and many people are very anxious to sell. My preference for a second place to look would be N. GA, but I really am liking warm winters, so other than hunting season, I think I'll probably stay here. When you mentioned that you were "fixin' to retire,) I knew that you were not a MInn. native, 'cause that's Florida talk for sure!

bustclays

PS: don't forget the volleyball???

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

19. cgd14782

cgd14782 Member

MURRAY, KY.

20. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Check out:

1. Rockport Texas
    2. Corpus Christi TX
    3. Victoria Texas
    4. Pearland Texas
    5. San Antonio TX

Corpus has a great club and so does Victoria. Great saletwater and fresh water fishing, ducks galore, plenty of deer and cheap land/home prices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.