1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

retirement

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by slayer, Jun 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Well today is the first day of my retirement from the U.S postal service. Any tips for me besides "break 'em all"?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Well hopefully now the mail will run better. LOL

CONGRATS!!!!

My advice. Enjoy yourself. You earned it. Find stuff to keep you busy. I know alot of retired people that bugged up because they didn't have enough to keep them busy all day.

3. oletymer

oletymer Member

Live life and enjoy it. After 17 years of retirement I still love every day and look forward to tomorrow.

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Enjoy!!! You earned it. Find a hobby, keep busy, as idle hands are the devil's workshop!!! Break-em all. Jeff

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

My wife asked me what I was going to do today.

I said "Nothing!"

She said "That's what you did yesterday."

I said "I wasn't finished!"

6. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

5 years to go and I will find out if I live that long. I hope you enjoy yourself and shoot often.

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Shoot all day and reload all night. HMB

8. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

Now you can "stop living at work and start working at living". This advice was given to me when I retired 10 years ago!

Just keep busy doing things you enjoy!! Good Luck!!

Allen

9. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Yes-- ENJOY it-- especially if you (& wife) are lucky enough to have good health, do things together, get reaquainted. your gonna love it. Congrats. Ross Puls

10. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Great for you.

11. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Congratulations on reaching retirement. I retired on 1/1/11 and at first I was bored. I have turned everything around and now I am busier than when I worked. For starters, I volunteer at a local hospital 2, 4 hour shifts per week. When I was going to college as a kid, after my junior year I got tired of going to school so I went into the service. When I got discharged I got married and then we had 2 children. So I have now enrolled to attend the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee as a full time student and plan to finally get my BA degree in 1 year's time. I originally promised my father that I would get my degree someday, so I am trying to fulfill both our dreams.

Along with baby sitting, and taking my 3 grandsons fishing, and my wife's never ending honey do list, I will most likely die of exhaustion someday. I love my wife dearly, but I need a break. My new nickname for my wife is (The dept. of Homeland Security)!

Biggest suggestion I have for you, don't let your wife boss you around in retirement. Take a stand and tell her that you rule the roost, like I do. I have to end this as I hear her coming, as I decided I do not want her to read this.
    Good luck,
    Steve Balistreri

12. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

It is great but the pay does suck. Enjoy your family they will keep you busy. Tom

13. hoot619

hoot619 Member

Steve, you rule the roost all right. Just like I do. It does help to
    let them think they are the Boss. Come to think of it I can do any
    darn thing I want to do. If I want to suffer the consequences. I is still being trained.. Ken U

14. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Ken:
    The only way I will ever rule the roost is with a whip and a chair, down Simba!!
    Steve

15. Old Confederate

Old Confederate TS Member

I have to agree with the people that said the pay is not as good as when I was working but it is worth a cut in pay to be able to do what I want to every day. I have been retired for 9 yrs. and every day has been better than working. Larry

16. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Just wondering what the average age that all of you here retired at?

I turn 62 this coming January and, due to a recently discovered medical condition, am seriously considering "early" retirement to enjoy time off while I'm still reasonably healthy.

In addition to SS, I receive a small pension every month, have an IRA I can draw on, and a wife that still likes to work. Sure sounds like a doable situation, doesn't it? Money would be tight, I'm sure; but the more I think about it the more I realize that I can always get more money; I can't buy more time!

Kiv

17. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Been retired three years & love it. I now run the gun club & volunteer at the vets Hosp

18. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Thanks for all of the valuable advice. Senior smoke you are a hoot. FYI I am 57. I started at the p.o in '81 was part time for 3 yrs but "paid" for them so I could retire after only 30 yrs instead of 33.
    Bill in MI

19. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Steve,

You're funny. You sound like you're the boss of your house and you have your wife's permission to say so! Don't lose your good sense of humor. You keep us entertained.

Chichay

20. dhip

dhip Active Member

enjoy,keeep busy,and fot the fella that asked,,,50 when I retired

Doug H.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.