1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Retirement, don't believe the hipe!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Apr 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Retirement, don

Hello:
    I retired on 1/11/11 and for 40 years I sat and worked inside an office. I remember my first day on the job, 5/1/70. I had jet black hair, my mom said I was a good looking kid, she could have been biased? From that day on, everyday that I went to work I thought about if that big day would ever come, Retirement!

For forty years, I day dreamed how nice it would be to go to bed anytime I wanted, and if I wanted to sleep to 9am some days, that I could do so. Since I have been retired, I'm to tired to stay up past 10pm, and I get up every morning without the use of an alarm clock at the same time I would have gotten up if I was still working, 6am?

I don't know if any of you ever saw the movie "Groundhog Day" with Bill Murray, but every day seems the same? Most of my friends have either died, and or no longer shoot as it has become to expensive, or they no longer like to shoot trap, but have gotten into sporting clays, or 5 stand.

I have tried both shooting disciplines and it just does not excite me the way trap does. It's like taking a girl to the movies that you don't really like, and you can't wait until the night is over.

So I sit here at the end of April in this hell hole of a city, freezing my big fat buns off. Milwaukee, the fun and sun capital of the world. Our summer starts July 1st, and ends roughly August 15th. At that time, I get the snow blower tuned up as it won't be much longer before we are snowed in.

I recently had an eye exam and I am getting so blind that I now have to have a small bi focal put into my shooting glasses so I can see the score sheet. My wife is sick and tired of hearing me say "what did you say" every time she speaks that she made an appointment for me to see an audiologist. They tell me that I have hearing problems, and I need two hearing aids. Tell me something I don't know. When I first started shooting one of the guys suggested not to purchase ear plugs because at 5 cents a pair I would be wasting my money. So he said pick up cigarette butts and tear off the filters for ear plugs???? I was even dumber than him, that I took his advice.

Everyday that I worked I thought about shooting. Now that I am retired, I still think about shooting as I have so many chores scheduled for me that I wouldn't mind working again. A couple days a week I volunteer at the local hospital, and in a few months I start college at my young age???

In the year book I will be the 300lb. old fat guy in the letter sweater with a crop of gray hair. So in conclusion, if any of you are near retirement, don't believe the hipe!!!! Work until you drop at least your getting paid.

My grandson just called me and asked when I can take him fishing? I told him in late May when the ice melts here in the sunshine state known as Wisconsin.
    Steve Balistreri

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

LOL...that was definitely a fun read. I like your insight. I knew that I wouldn't like retirement.

3. senior smoke

recurvyarcher:
    I told my wife that I would like to travel the country shooting ATA events once our house sells and we move to Scottsdale AZ. I told her I do not like to shoot alone and would she try shooting a round of trap? I said if you like it, I will purchase you all the equipment.

My wife has been recovering from an illness, and one day she is feeling pretty good. She said she will come with me to the local gun club and try a couple shots to see if she can withstand the recoil. I was so happy, after 40 years of being married, she will try shooting.

My wife is 5'6" and 102 lbs soaken wet. I borrow her brothers 20 gauge 1100 and we go to a local club. I explain how the gun works, safety etc. It's just her and I on the line and I tell her when she is ready, call pull, and the target will come out. She calls pull and pulls the trigger and the gun almost drops out of her hands and she said she hurt her shoulder and face and walked back to the car. Her shoulder and jaw are shades of black and blue now, and she said she will never shoot again as it hurts. AND ALL i SAY IS, RETIREMENT, DON'T BELIEVE THE HIPE!!!!!!!!
    Steve

4. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Steve, learn to play music. It doesn't matter what type of instrument...harmonica, guitar, piano,violin, kazoo, whatever. It's a great way to pass the time. It keeps your mind sharp, and it's magic when you realize"hey,I'm making music!" There are tons of tutorials available on You Tube.

Like you, I'm just about deaf and I have tinnitus. I can still strum chords and pick notes on my guitars, and hear what I'm playing. You are not to old to learn.

5. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

Steve enjoy Life to it's fullest, I'm 74 and having a ball!! and I do have all your ailments plus a half dozen more, but I rather be smelling the flowers than having them laying on me.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It is clear that you have not figured out retirement. Shoot all day and reload all night. Put a couple reloading machines in your bedroom, so when you are awake in the middle of the night you can reload some shells. Been retired for 24 years, works for me. HMB

7. Straight99

Straight99 Member

I have been retired 6 years now and an loven it. I reload during the day and try to shoot in all the small leagues around the area. I can shoot every night if I want to. My wife goes with so we can go out and eat almost every night. During the day I go to the rifle and pistol range. I also live in Wisconsin, so at the first sign of snow we head for Florida and shoot trap all winter. Did I say I was loven it. Shoot more. I have all the old age problems like you, I just shoot around them.

8. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Steve, I'm 63 and retired last year but the place I worked called me asked me to come back to work so I work two days a week. I hunt, fish, or shoot the rest of the week. That is if it's over 55 degrees or under 95. LOL I also get bored but have plenty to do. I purchased a shot maker from Stewart in N. Alabama on my way to Memphis for a reunion with guys I was stationed with in England in the 60's. I have never fired it up in the three years I've had it but still collect wheel weights. I have about a couple thousand pounds of lead and may start making shot this fall. I'm sure there is something you can do that will amuse you. You have a gift for writing and if you enjoy that you can write a book about trapshooting. Going back to school will keep you pretty busy as I did that, it was not so easy to learn as it was when I was young. LOL Good luck to you and if you find some way to kill the boredom let us know. Jackie B.

9. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Steve:

You seem like a pretty nice guy. But, considering your dilemma, you should really consider converting and becoming an official Club Geezer.

Imagine all the fun you will have patrolling the club grounds concocting "safety violations," being rude to young people, and running off new shooters! Plus, you will discover that TALKING about how good you are/were is WAY cheaper than actual shooting! Plus, when you do shoot, if there's a young person on your squad (or within 100 feet) and you happen to miss a target... you get an automatic mulligan if you raise hell!

In any case, always remember -- once you retire, it takes a lot of anger to stay happy.

-Gary

10. Hank Cross

Hank Cross Member

Steve,

There are any number of things that can keep you going. At 80 I'm still deeply involved with my profession and have reached the point I've had in mind for years. Unfortunately most of my friends are crushing birds in paradise, but I'm going to keep at it until I can't.

Best,

Hank Cross

11. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Even a 20 gauge will kick if it doesn't fit, and especially if she did not lock the gun in tightly (hard to do if the gun is too long). You did say she was using her brother's gun, didn't you? Would he be the same LOP? I know my brother has ape arms compared with mine...

12. senior smoke

22hornet:
    I was in a band when I was a kid. I can play the harmonica, and the guitar. I have a Gretsch. With the weather we have here in Wisconsin I often play the harmonica. I feel like I'm on death row when I play, waiting for the governor to call just before the execution. As I am writing to you, I will take a break while playing old man river. I am sun deprived living in the frozen tundra here in Wisconsin, as it seems it will never warm up.
    Steve

Jackie B.
    I wrote a book, finished a few months ago. Trying still to get it published. I will send you a couple stories to read.
    Steve

13. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

I turn 60 this summer and WAS thinking of retirement, but on second thought i think i will work a few more years !!Joe

14. 4andy10

4andy10 Member

I'm 44 and I just plan to work till I die. don't think I'll have social security or medicaid to have around to help out with anything. Pensions seem to be on the way out and 401K's are gonna crash. So I'll just keep machining pieces parts until i can't see the numbers on my mics. got a skeet thrower and i live in the country so i just shoot out in the back yard if worse comes to worse. Keith

15. chipking

chipking TS Member

For retirement as in all other things in life you must set goals. My first and most important was to remain above ground and vertical. I met that goal yet again this morning. My next was to get back ALL the money I contributed to my pension plan over the 33 years I worked for the same company. I met that goal last December so now my "old" employer is paying me to stay home. My next goal is to live long enough to do the same with the Government and all the Social Security TAXES they took from me over the past 50 years. And finally I plan to live long enough to PISS on Hanoi Jane's grave.

Those and oatmeal and coffee at Mickey D's every morning and trapshooting every chance I get should be sufficient for a long and happy life.

--- Chip King ---

16. gunut54

gunut54 TS Member

Seniorsmoke;
    Im just west of you in Sussex...and that is rain outside not snow...that said, I still havent drained the gas out of the snowblower....

17. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

Steve I live in Caledonia so like you I enjoy the wonderful WI weather!! I still have my snow blower loaded and ready to go but on Sunday I got my riding mower ready and mowed my lawn. As you said slowly but surely the shooters we grew up with and shot with are dying or quit shooting. Been retired for 7 years and DO NOT miss working!!!

18. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

I'll be 65 in October. Can't do anything about it. I see a doctor every few years., The first time we met, he pointed at my head and asked, "How old are you, IN THERE?". I said, "35" and he told me we would work with that number. The guvment and its cohorts are doing their best to make me FEEL older than I do. At least once a week I get a letter or card telling me about my obligation to social security and medicare - how I have to register and all that. They even contain hints of threats - something about penalties. Of course I'll comply, but I refuse to think of myself as OLD. I'm still thinking I'm 35. I'm shopping for a new gun - or two, opened a couple of new business ventures in the past year (bees, FFL, chocolates, and a hydroponic garden), thinking about a new set of shooting glasses, and planning a second book for my "The UnDruggist" series. I practice Trap and Skeet on Saturdays, shoot in a trap league on Wednesdays, and considering one more league for the summer. If I can find a room near Sparta, I'll put the top down on my vette and visit "The Grand" this summer.

Retirement is not in the cards. Basically, I've lived as if I am retired for the past 20 years. I'm blessed that I own my own cash cow and my adult children run it for me. I get to sit around, write, reload, take off early, and so on. I've warned everyone that I am not going to retire - officially - and that they may have to call the coroner when I drop dead at my desk or at my reloader station. They seem fine with that. I've got a lot to do and when I drop I'll stop.

Larry

19. dhip

dhip Active Member

Well, I've been retired 10 yrs now(59 now),Don't regret it yet.Of course I was actually retired 1 full day,then I started driving a School bus for a local contractor.Maybe you should do the same,find a local contractor and give back to the school district( easier for me,I graduated from the distict I drive for) you live in by driving the kids to school.With all the testing and retesting every 4 yrs., and random drug testing you have to do,it's real fun. Shoot,you have to know more than a commercial trucker,get paid way less,test more ofen to keep your liscense,have NO traffic violations,etc.,etc......I say I do it for fun and spending money,,,,maybe I'm really a sadistic person and don't know it....LMAO

Doug H.

20. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

wow. I hope I'm not F***ED. I plan on retiring next year. I'll be 46....oh, I'll find a job doing something. But it won't be much.

But I did just order 5 tons of shot. That, and golf, fishing for trout in Taneycomo, walleyes in Bull Shoals and white bass in Table Rock, shooting the missouri, arkansas, kansas and nebraska state shoots, the fall handicap, the grand and hanging out with Devi should keep me young enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.