1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

*Retirement and the VA

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by chipdaddy, Nov 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chipdaddy

chipdaddy Member

Retirement at age 62 and using VA for insurance until Medicare kicks in (if it's still there) Is this a bad idea? Jerry

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

You might want to get a high deductable insurance poicy also, as if there is an emergency you might not be able to get to the VA fast enough

I started using the VA in Bonham Tx, and have absolutely no complaints

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

What is your entitlement under the VA? what category?

do you have a VA in your home town?

4. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Just asking.....Can anyone, with any length of service, use the VA?

Be nice....I'm just asking, as I always assumed you had to be retired or have a disability to be treated there.

5. 221

I looked it up and got my answer....

<em>Vet Centers provide individual, group and family counseling to all veterans who served in any combat zone. Services are also available for their family members. Veterans have earned these benefits through their combat service and all are provided at no cost to the veteran or family</em>

www.vetcenter.va.gov/

Seems the key is veteran and not servicemen.

6. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Well before I got my service connected disability (40% now), I got care from the VA in Group 8. The VA had stopped taking new group 8 veterans for awhile but are again taking more Group 8 vets in according to their income level. If you do not get into the VA program keep trying the rules for bringing in new vets that are not service connected disability get help 1st. The groups are 1 through 8 with 8 being the lowest priority. Basically Group 1 are vets with 50%-100% disabled. Group 2 30%-40%. Group 3 is 10 to 20. There's allot more to it when it gets to group 3-7. Check it out at www.myhealth.va.gov. It takes a bit of searching but you;ll find what you need to know.

7. g7777777

"Vet Centers provide individual, group and family counseling to all veterans who served in any combat zone. Services are also available for their family members. Veterans have earned these benefits through their combat service and all are provided at no cost to the veteran or family"-------------wrong- wrong- wrong

That is just plain so misleading and taken out of context that it is wrong-- do not even consider that statement.

The VA is not a health insurance program - so dont even think of it as such-- in general if you qualify and they have room they will see you at one of their facilities-- the key is if you qualify and if they have room and at one of their facilities

there are some very minor exceptions to that- very very minor

The key here is even if you quality the VA is not a health insurance policy

8. 221

Gene....That was not a statement I made.....I copied it from the VA web site.....Maybe you should make an appointment.

9. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I should add that when I 1st signed up (not service connected) group 8 it took about 3 years for me to actually be taken in. As I said things change all the time.

10. g7777777

221 I dont care where you copied that statement from- its flat out wrong- whether because its taken out of context or just because its wrong.

A vet center is different than health care and it is different than a VA medical center-- Regardless- VA is not health insurance--- and a Vet center is not a VA hospital

In answer to Jerry's question- you need to supply more details about where you live and what you expect from health care at the VA- also what group are you in-- this could be a horrible idea- particurally if you let your current policy laspe

regards from Iowa

Gene

11. 221

Are you saying their words are incorrect for a Vet Center or incorrect for the VA?

If it's correct for a Vet Center, it's not flat out wrong.....now which is it.

12. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I think any veteran suffering from PTSD (combat related or not) may go to counseling at any Vet Center. So the statement only combat vets can go to Vet Centers MIGHT be wrong.

13. 221

This is why it gets confusing trying to decipher what agency's and even the gov means when they say veterans.

Some call all that served, veterans......some say only combat zone soldiers are veterans.

I know this is going off topic, but a retired serviceman, is not a veteran at the VFW, he's a social member. In the American Legion he is a veteran.

I get the feeling that the VA has the same policies......YES?????..NO??????

14. g7777777

Basically yes-- the VA defines different entitlements to different groups- and the flow down is often very complicated

There is a presumption with some groups of disabilities- for example Agent Orange if you served in the Vietnam theatre ( however that presumption doesnt include blue water service)

Now it then follows that because there is a presumption of certain disabilities- if you currently have one of those- it will be presumed that the disability qualifies you for possible disability compensation and from that you could move into one of the upper categories for medical treatment.

Other groups have a direct service connection- ie - you were shot in the knee and your knee doesnt work- hasnt worked since you were shot.

Still others have a service disability from a service injury -- ie you were shot in the knee- the knee worked but cause pain and there was bone on bone because all the connective tissue was damaged-- over time this condition worsens and a doctor will state that it was a worsening of this condition related back to the initial injury--

In the VFW if you served in a designated combat zone you are a Veteran- so its similar

15. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Some members of the Submarine service can't belong to the VFW, because of the covert nature of their operations & on some of the boats only a handful of people knew where the boat was. Furthermore, I may be wrong but I thought there was a means test to use VA medical facilities. And finally, Veteran status is determined by the dates you were on actual military service for more than 181 days.

Phil Berkowitz

16. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

The only way you will know for sure is to apply. Go to the nearest facility and start the process. I am a disabled Vet and have elected at the moment to not utilize their service. May change in the near future. I was getting excelent service before going back to my civilian doctor. Jake

17. Mr. D

Mr. D Member

If you did a few years in the service many moons ago and now are faced with looking to the VA to provide for a self inflected insurance gap than the answer is NO the VA owes you nothing.

IF you have a DOCUMENTED service connected problem the VA can and will address that for you.

Bottom line is you need to provide for your own insurance until your Medicare starts.

Until Bozo the Clown signs us up for Obamacare it is the responsibility of the individual to provide for themselves and their family after Obamacare it will be the responsibility of the government to provide health care for you and your family.

Sorry if this offends anyone.

18. Charles.F.Phillips

Charles.F.Phillips TS Member

Phil is correct. Anyone who has served 181 days or more on active duty are service veterans. To take advantage of VA care you must have been determined to have service connected disabilities. I trashed my knee at one point, but I was (and still am) fine when I retired. On retirement, I was determined to have 0% knee disability meaning that I collect 0% of my pay at retirement, but if I ever have problems with my knee, it is recorded and they will fix me when I break. I was told that I cannot go there for any other reason.

19. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I applied for VA benefits online in June of 2009. I was accepted and started receiving benefits in July of 2009. My service was from 1959 to 1961 and I was not in combat and I did not suffer a disability. I don't use the VA Doctors or the Hospitals for health care. I use Medicare and a private supplement to provide that service. I use the VA only for my high priced prescriptions and pay a co-pay of 8 dollars per month. My normal low priced meds are cheaper through Walmart at 10 dollars for a 3 month prescription. Go to the VA website and you can apply online.

20. g7777777

There are exceptions to the 181 days metioned above- several of them-- you can be qualified under 181 days-- you can be qualified with less than one full day.

The term "Benefits" vary in meaning big time- some people are qualified for one thing and others are qualified for something else. Some may be able to be seen today and might be denied in the future ( although the VA says that wont happen). Some pay a copay for meds and others dont.

My reccomendation is to apply- and see what they give you and see if you can live with that before you cancel any health insurance that you have-- you should have a significant overlap

Have a significant overlap before you cancel anything.

Have a significant overlap before you cancel anything and become educated on the system- not what someone tells you the system is, not what some general information sheet states or excerpts from some webpage that mean something totally different than it may seem.

Once you have cancelled health insurance- you are up the rive without a paddle.

Of course Obama may fix that for you with all the costs that entails.

regards from Iowa

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.