1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

retired and moving?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by slayer, Dec 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

OK We are here. We had planned for years to make our vacation property the home base. We moved about 3 hours north here in beautiful MI. The new house isn't built yet so we are a little cozy in the old cabin, but that's not the problem. I find myself missing the old place, and not just a little. The place that we moved from was my boyhood home town and the place that we raised the kids. We both love the north woods, so this is a little surprising to me. I suppose I'll get used to calling this home. At any rate I'm here, there's no turning back now. You transplanted retirees: how long does the transplant shock last? Bill

2. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

Bill,

I just read an article on retirement and one of things it said not to do, was move far away from your friends. Hope that you can get comfortable before too long.

3. Bill T

Bill T Active Member

I'm the opposite. In 1991 my wife and I moved to Lake Havasu City, Arizona from the Chicago suburbs. We absolutely loved it there. In 1997 we were forced to move to the Phoenix area because of employment. I'm retiring in just 2 years and we can't wait to get back there! I wouldn't move back to Chicago if you gave me a home there.

4. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Ken...This isn't far away. I'm still going to commute to trap shoots and such...Probably. Haven't decided yet if a clean break might be better. Bill

5. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Slayer, you planned for years to make this your home. Focus on the things you did, the things you wanted that prompted you to plan this for so long. Had to be a lot of reasons for you to want to move up there, so focus on them and enjoy each to the fullest extent you can - after a few months, a trip back to the old place will just be a visit.

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

You will always consider the old place home. I have been gone from mine in Indiana for 22 years and still miss it ( not the weather though) I thought when I retired we would end up back in AZ but the northwest is great and I dont plan to leave. I lived in Indiana, South Dakota, Colorado, AZ, Oregon, Washington and Idaho. Idaho beats them all when you add it all up. I always loved upper Michiigan too, enjoy

7. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

What cubancigar2000 said in his 1st sentence, been gone 25+ years, wife likes it here (Ga.) so looks like we'll be staying. We do go back home (Iowa) for visits but don't know if I would move back even if she changed her mind, have made many new friends here. Plus the weather is more reasonable. Ross

8. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

Bill,

I'm sure you've payed your dues! Don't sweat it...just do what makes you happy!

Best regards,
    Ken

9. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

If you move make sure there is a gun club close. You will make new friends.

Jim Skeel<BR>P/W Dealer/Distributor

10. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

thanks all for the encouragement. It's really what I needed to hear. My whining is really just moot anyway, cause we all know who wears the pants and she is the most serious wood tick you ever want to meet. She's getting her new house in the woods and my skinny butt is just along for the ride! Life is good! Bill

11. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I'm in the same shoes as Cuban and Ross, moved to Texas 32 years ago, still go back to Iowa to visit, used to call it home but this is home, the only way I would move back to Iowa is if somebody gave me a section of good farm land

But I would still winter down here

OT I was talking to one of my farmer buddies that lives in Iowa, man he told me they have been selling farm land for up to $15,000 an acre, insane I see a crash like in the 80's not too far off

12. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Catpower: A section??????? Well maybe that would be a good enough incentive.

Sister & B-I-L farm in eastern Iowa & tell me the same thing about land prices, that's SCARY, I still remember when good land sold for 1\10 that price. Ross

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Bill, Michigan has a lot of good old boy trap clubs. Lots of game clubs too ( some of the best) The UP ( and all of middle to upper Michigan is some beautiful country)

14. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

My Dad was a big farmer in NW Iowa, he had 1920 acres I know that isn't all that big now, but in 1979 he was worth about $10,000,000, in 1983 he ended up selling it all going broke, he listened to my college educated brothers who had more or less taken over the place, and got a loan to build a hog confinement, he was just going to borrow $500,000 but the land bank told him he needed more and he said he knew he was effing up when he listened to them and borrowed about $2 mil, at one point he had to borrow $1 mil per year just to pay interest on that and other loans, it went down hill fast

Most of the problems were caused by the second worst president we have had, Carter, he put a grain embargo on Russia for them invading Afghanistan, and took the lid off the interest rate

15. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Zardoz that sounds like a dream come true but we are snow lovers. It sure would be great to visit for a month or two, though. March and April up here are throw away months. i saw the ad for the lakeside home there for cheap! Anything on any kind of water here is big bucks. As I mentioned we are here to stay and I can damn well stop whining. It ain't so bad being here. I can go out the door and walk for a mile or more in almost any direction and still be in unspoiled wilderness. When I build the new place it will seem more like home. Bill

16. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

My wife and I moved to our present house on a mountain at 3100 feet in North Georgia (where all Floridians retire) in 2004. We left in 2008 for a year in Indiana (home state) and then a year in Colorado Springs. Those two years gone and unable to sell our Georgia house we decided to move back into it. We almost cried when we arrived we misssed it so much. Lakes, Trout Rivers, Gun Club w/trap, Sporting Clays, 5 Golf Courses and a Wal Mart only 15 miles away. Most of all some of the best motorcycle riding in the US. Will never leave again!

blade819

17. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

We only moved 18 miles but going from five bedrooms, a three-car garage, full basement and an attic to two bedrooms, a no-car garage and no basement or attic was not easy. Wow, do you ever accumulate stuff in 40 years of marriage! But we love our one-floor condo on a golf course (neither of us play pasture pool, by the way) and especially the 68% reduction in housing expenses. We should have done it five years earlier.

Ed

18. rosies dad

rosies dad Member

Dont know your age or health situation. But in Northern Mi good hospitals and GOOD Drs who take medicare patients are hard to come by.

Getting old(er) aint for sissies.

19. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Hook up a 5th wheel and go where you want when the new home gets boring. Nothing like it.

20. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Actually the health care situation isn't too bad up here right now. Cheboygan and Petoskey are fairly close[ inside of an hours drive] and both are under new management and reportedly are improved somewhat. We can still do the 2 and a half hour drive and go back south if we need to. Mallard, I'm with you on that one. In fact we are hooking up and going to Tahquamenon falls next week just because we can. You Michigan guys, I've got a good group of buddies from Bay county that woud love to come up for a fun shoot. Can anyone recommend one? Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.