1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Retina Problems

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Stumpstalker, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stumpstalker

Stumpstalker TS Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Due to various problems in my life, I was away from shooting since 2000. I retired in Late 2005 and planned to get back into shooting the following Spring. Being nearsighted and over 50 made me a candidate for a detached retina in Spring 2006. In the Spring of 2006, I had the cataract removed from that eye and my vision was great! No more massive wave of floaters or fuzzyness from the cataract. Two months later, the retina detached before I could do any shooting.

Right after the cataract was removed, I ordered a 28 gauge Rem 1100 shotgun for trap/skeet/sporting clays. I picked it up two weeks after the second surgery and it was about two months before I could see clearly in that eye to appreciate how nice it would be to shoot targets without the floaters blocking the sight and bird.

It's been a year since the second surgery and I tried the gun for the first time on Sunday. No kick and it is sweet to shoot. I even hit a few birds during the round of trap. I have to get used to the gun.

I was thinking of getting a 20 gauge, but since I would shoot from 25 to 100 rounds a day, the slight difference in shot weight and powder charge just might cause more eye problems. Except for the fact that I can't find sales on 28 gauge ammo, I am happy with my decision.

Has anyone else on the forum had a detached retina?

2. jmas

jmas TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Yes, I had one in 1999. I went to Mayo and had it repaired. Started shooting 3 months later (12 ga). Since then have won several state trophies and made the state team once. Good luck to you and listen to your doctor.

PS It was in my right (dominate) eye.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

retinal detachment trap skeet