1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Results Of Fishing @ Sparta

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ed Y, Aug 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Does anyone have any pictures of fish that they caught while at the Grand this year? Were they able to get a short term fishing license on the grounds? Did anyone even see any fish caught.

Ed Yanchok

2. SeanGamble

SeanGamble TS Member

me and my brother brought our poles along and fished every day for the 3 days we were there. we fly fished and casted for panfish and bass. i caught one tiny blue gill and he caught one tiny crappie and our freind caught a tiny bass. i think it was to hot

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Woulda thought they'd have it stocked with "Flying Carp".

4. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

I was going to try fishing, but it was just too warm. Never took the poles out of the truck.

5. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Ed they were really biting one morning......

frankc_2008_030320.jpg

6. otnot

otnot Active Member

Frank I think the grand should be held here in Alaska. That way it is never too hot and all the fish you can catch.

Jim

7. kie95

kie95 Member

Mr. Yanchok You could get a temp fishing licence. 3 day was I think $10 and a 10 day was $20, just needed a drivers licence. Me, Kie , and Kaleb went 2 times and caught 6 Bass in the 1 to 2 pound range with trick worms it was fun right off the shore by the boat dock. It was too hot, we waited to almost dark.

Sean Kababik

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Should have been catfishing.

9. Finprof

Finprof TS Member

The area around Sparta is dotted with old reclaimed strip mines that have become lakes. Find one on google earth that is 50 yards or more from the road and it probably won't have been fished the entire year.
    The strip mine lakes are a blast to fish because the water is so clear you can see a bass taking your plastic worm in 10 feet of water, and I had some of the best fishing there when it was nasty stinking hot. A canoe is perfect for these lakes.

10. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Frank, That doesn't look like an 8 weight rod to me.

11. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Martin caught decent sized cat fish almost every morning. We ate some, and then gave our neighbors (Rich and Dana from Pennsylvania) some to cook, too.

12. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Bob.....8 FOOT, not 8 weight....hah, Reds chew up and spit out 8 wts....

Jim, did you catch that King by the 4th trap, past the vendor buildings???lol

by the way, good to see you up there......sorry you were too busy to shoot! Frank C

13. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

To hot to fish and to hot to shoot. That's Sparta in August.

14. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Frank, you can catch all the reds you want on an 8 weight...you need a little bit of room, or some understanding folks around you, but you can do it.

I catch 40lb kings on a 10.

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

My buddy took me fishing a couple miles from the complex and we filled both live wells with crappie,bass and channel cats one evening!! It was a Peabody complex where he guides clients year round! Great fishing even as hot as the water temps were!!

Hap

16. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Hap, you were there and you didn't call me?

17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Hi Devi/Martin:

I feel so bad not meeting you and Martin during my Sparta venture I was sick!! I copied the notes and number you sent and absently mindedly ran off leaving it on my computer table! I did ask at the registration center for squad numbers etc. but without an ATA card, I was out of luck! Guess I'll hafta make a special trip to Kansas during feznut season with a dual purpose!!

My great buddy living in Marrisa kept my nephews,my buddy Tom Strunk and I so busy entertaining all of us and welcoming us it was hectic every day!

All of us had an absolute ball and plan on returning again next year!! Winning came in a distant second place this year, we'll be better prepared next time with addresses and phone numbers!!

Your buddy!

Gene Hapney

18. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Devi ... Hap didn't take a cell phone, neither, but I had a nice chat with his lovely bride abt his many and various shortcomings.

19. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Hey-Hey Goater, That's cruel. Gene's a good guy, be nice to him! :) Bob

20. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Yep, we all agree that Geno is one of the all-around good guys ... which does not mean he does not have ... quirks.

He IS a shooter, after all.

Tight lines & Good hunting.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.