1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RESULTS FOR TRI CO'S JAN 6 SHOOT AT REDLANDS

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by E. Beaver, Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

It rained but we shot anyway. Allowing for the weather conditions we had a very good turnout of 7 squads in singles and handicap and 5 for doubles. A warm up in front of the blazing fireplace helped us through the day. Three new memberes braved the rain and joined our club. Welcome and good shooting.

Our special thanks to Terry and his staff and especially the score keepers who endured most of the day keeping score on wet socre sheets.

We enjoied a tasty lunch of hot dogs, chillie, etc and a special treat fresh baked brownies.

Terry Bilbey was top shooter for the day with a 100 in singles, 50 in handicap and 48 in doubles. Very well done!

The preliminary results are:

SINGLES 100: AA Terry Bilbey 100, A Brian McCormick 99, B Scott Ackerman 97, C Joel Chantry 91, D Brian Donahue 97, Vet Charles McPhee 98, Jr. Justin McCormick 73, Lady Candy Hammond 94.

HANDICAP: 27 Terry Bilbey 50, 25-26 Brian McCormick 45, 22-24 Brian Dyer 46, 21 Greg DeWitt 45, 20 Justin McCormick 44.

DOUBLES: AA Duane Scott 48, A Jim Irvine 41, B Brian McCormick 47, C Scott Ackerman 45, D Ray Games 46.

HOA: AA Terry Bilbey 198, A Brian McCormick 191, B Jim Hammond 191, C Gordon Childers 178, D Scott Ackerman 187.

Well done to all of you!

SEE YOU AT OUR NEXT SHOOT, SUNDAY FEBRUARY 3RD.

2. In plain view

In plain view Member

Would someone kindly tell me the real purpose of shooting in the "rain" regardless if it's a club shoot or ATA. It had been raining like a bitch in Covina for couple of days so when I woke up sunday morning, raining and looking like there was no let up I stayed home. What was the urgency to continue? I can probably answer that question myself as when we were at Prado and the wind was howling at 60 MPH the shoot went on. I know I'm just 1 shooter but I'll bet a $100.00 bucks I wasn't alone staying home. Wouldn't it have made more sence to reschedule instead of forcing the people who showed up to shoot? Maybe my age is creeping up on me but shooting in the rain is b.s. and I won't be a participant. I just don't understand the urgency. JMHO. Bob English

3. BMC

BMC Member

Too bad you decided not to show up Bob. We missed you.
    Anyone who showed up did so knowing it there was a good chance it was going to be raining. I don't believe that anyone was forced into shooting. Some decided they didn't want to and that is there perrogative. They still hung around and watched, chatted with friends, sat in the lounge and watched the football games with friends, etc.
    We here in SoCal tend to have the luxury to shoot in decent weather all year long, particularly in the winter. I believe it is easy for us to get into the mindset that we expect good weather for shooting. Every time I have shot in the rain I am reminded of what other shooters in other parts of the country face, and have a new respect for them every time. Seeing those guys in Alaska shooting in 0 degree weather...and having a good time...allows me personally to cherish the opportunities we have here to shoot trap in our shorts pretty much all year if we like. Wind, rain, heat or maybe fog are about the only challenges we face shooting here. Compared to so many other places, I think we have it made pretty good. Funny thing was I don't recall hearing anyone outright complaining about having to shoot in the rain. Sure there were times when it was coming down heavy. But the targets were where they were supposed to be and all ya had to do was shoot um. Personally I would rather shoot in the rain than in 100+ degree temps, or in 60 mph santa ana winds. But I don't expect others to share my sentiments.

4. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

Hi Bob:

Sorry we missed you. Life is full of hard choices. On Sunday morning it was not raining in Huntington Beach and the forecast called for showers in Redlands. The board was obliged to go to Redlands regardless of the weather.
    When we arrived it was not raining and a goodly number of shooters showed up and the concensus was to shoot. I also rembemer a day at Prado with the wind howling, the dust blowing and smoke thick in the air. The concensus was not to shoot so we put it off one week. Postponing the shoot is a tough choice and it will never please all of the membership as some may have comitments on the new day. Compaired to our last shoot where we had 50 shooters looks like this time 35 showed up and 15 were at home.

A suggestion for next time would be to call Redlands that morning and find out if the shoot is on or not and what the actual weather is like.

Take Care Bob, Charlie

5. In plain view

In plain view Member

Brian & Charlie: Your comments are appreciated and respected. I have thorougly enjoyed shooting with a great bunch of folks at Tri County for several years now but shooting in the rain is not made for me. I went through that comedy several years ago in San Diego and I swore then I would never shoot in the rain again and I have lived up to it. Soaking my gun in oil and fighting the rust problem took it's toll on me. I thought about calling the club before leaving but the rain on my roof said why bother. As previously stated my age (71 years) might have something to do with it.

QUESTION TO CHARLIE, OUR PRESIDENT:: Does Tri-Clunty Gun Club have any "make-up" options or would the BOD's consider such an option? The same cost would apply but no awards. I'm guessing we have a few shooters who have "missed" one or more shoots and would like to make them up. I think the details could easily be worked out with Terry at Redlands. It's something we shold give thought to. JMH0. Bob

6. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

Hi Bob: We will take the make-up option up with our board at our Feb meeting.
    Thanks for your imput. Charlie

7. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

8. BMC

BMC Member

Okay, who handed Terry the stir stick? :) This is going to get really interesting.

9. In plain view

In plain view Member

Thanks Terry for your input. As our President said a number of shooters did not show up sunday which lets face it, is rare because you can't find a better place to shoot than Redlands. The weather stopped me in my tracks and I would venture to say the weather was the major reason why the lower than usual turnout. The way I look at it Tri County and Redlands both "lost" income because of it. I do not possess the magic answer but I do believe that a shooter should not be penalized because of weather, emergencies, illness etc. Tri County is striving to get bigger and the move to Redlands has proven it so far. All members are required to shoot a minimum of 9 shoots to "qualify" for a year-end buckle. The "12 point" buckle award also comes into play which is one heck of an incentive. I don't have all the answers but "make-up shoots" should be a simple task to achieve. For the betterment of all members of Tri County and ownership of Redlands I ask the BOD's to take an energetic approach to my suggestion and hopefully make it happen. JMHO Bob English

10. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

Bob: The BOD will give the make-up shoot our full attention. I know from my personal experience that due to illness or other stringent commitments it is not always possible to attend all the shoots. Missing a shoot or two is a definite disadvantage in buckle point accumulation. My view at this time is that the make-up shoot would come sometime later in our shoot year to give the best possible chance for a successful shoot. The BOD will address this issue and advise the membership of the outcome. Charlie.

11. In plain view

In plain view Member

Charlie: Couldn't ask for more than that. Thanks. Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.