1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RESULTS FOR TIR CO'S FEB 3 SHOOT AT REDLANDS

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by E. Beaver, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

Darn, for once the weather forecast was right. Nevertheless 5 dedicated squads of shooters, including 2 ladies, came to shoot. It rained during singles, during handicap and during doubles. It rained all the time. Hats off or should we say hats on to those who came and made it a good shoot anyway.

We were all done shooting by 12:30 so there was plenty of time to have a good hotdog lunch and goodies and then head home to watch the game. A big thanks to Terry and his staff.

Bill Hunter had kindly donated a silver dollar money clip to the winner in "C" class singles and a silver dollar necklace with silver chain to the high lady in singles. Larry Haugen won the money clip and Dianne Savage won the necklace. At our next shoot the money clip will go to the winner in singles "B" and high lady. Thank you Bill Hunter.

For the first time we had a Lewis for the singles. Fourteen of our members entered and 7 were winners. Those are good odds. The Lewis adds a little spice to the event.

The Preliminary results are:

SINGLES: AA Doug Zuhse/Bill Blankenship 97, A Charles McPhee 97, B Thompson/Brian Dyer 95, C Larry Haugen 93.

HANDICAP: 27 Brian McCormick 47, 25-26 Jim Irvine/Bill Blankenship 40, 22-24 Dianne Savage 46, 21 Gordon Childers/Mark Effle 48, 20 Brian Doanhue/Doug Zuhse 45. Could not help but notice that Gordon and Mark missed half the jackpot by 1 point.

DOUBLES: AA Bill Blankenship 46, A Jim Irvine 41, B ??? 39, C Charles McPhee 47, D Mark Effle 43.

HOA: AA Bill Blankenship 183, A Charles McPhee 188, B Gordon Childers 182, C Larry Haughe 174.

Hi Lady: Dianne Savage 184, Hi Vet: Charles McPhee 188.

Very well done to all of you!

SEE YOU AT OUR NEXT SHOOT, SUNDAY, MARCH 2ND.

2. In plain view

In plain view Member

Can someone please tell me the "real purpose" of conducting a club shoot in pouring rain? I just don't get it... Half the shooters don't show up because of the rain but the shoot goes on anyway. Has anyone every heard of the term "reschedule"? I'm flabbergasted that this shoot went on as scheduled. This is 2 months in a row with the rain. Needless to say BOD's, as a member, I'm disappointed. Bob English

3. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

Bob, I'm sorry you are disapointed.

The shooters who show up for a shoot make the decision weather to shoot or not. It is only those who are actually present who can accurately assess the situation and make an informed decision. They can decide it it's too rainy or not, ditto for the heat, the cold, the wind, the dust or anything else. On Sunday the shooters came, saw the rain, signed up and shot. Many of them shot the whole program of singles, HC and doubles.

Rescheduling seems easy but it is fraught with some foreseen and unforseen problems. In this case the following weekend was out because of a scheduled ATA event for Saturday and Sunday. Beyond that what if those who showed up at the scheduled event could not make the rescheduled date? Should they be penalized to please those who did not want to shoot in less than pleasant conditions.

In our club to be eligible for awards one is required to attend 9 shoots per year. Since we have 12 scheduled shoots a member has the option of skipping, for whatever reason, 3 shoots. So one is not required to shoot in the rain etc.

All things considered, for a rainy Super Bowl Sunday, we had a very good turnout.

Our next shoot is March 2nd, may the sun shine bright, hope to see you there, Charlie McPhee

4. In plain view

In plain view Member

Mr. McPhee: I have voiced my opinion and will stand behind it regardless if you agree or not. If this is the way you want to run the club so be it. It's now up to me if I want to continue being a member or take my shooting elsewhere. Let's end this subject now. No more comments please. Bob

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Well ... I missd the shoot. I was up at 6am and was redy to go to Redlands, but it started raining during my 1st cup of coffee.

I realize that rescheduling puts Terry & Co in a bind due to their ATA Shoots, but no way was I going to shoot in the reain when I have been fighting a cold for 2 weeks. As far as worrying about points for the season...My 12 point buckle has 10 diamonds in it! I won't lose any sleep about missing out on another one this year.

My feeling is that it should have been rescheduled to the 3rd Sunday of the month.

Si

6. In plain view

In plain view Member

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that when 1/2 the members do not show because of pouring rain not only does it effect Tri County financially but Redlands as well. I'm quite sure that Mr. Bilby would rather have 10 plus squads shooting than a paltry 5. Remember this is 2 months in a "row" that rain has caused a problem. Did anyone bother to check with Mr. Bilbey to get his points of view? I'm fully aware of the 9 shoot minimum but that's not my bitch. My bitch is that Tri County and Redlands is "losing" money needlessly because of this hell bent attitude to shoot regardless of weather conditions. With that being said I'm done. Bob

7. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

Bob & Si:

Si sorry about your cold, I hope it’s better by now.

Back in January I approached Terry and asked him what his policy was regarding shooting in the rain. His response was “it up to the shooters”. On that day it had not started to rain until about 10:30 am. We were nearly finished with our singles and after a short break in spite of the rain we went on with the handicap and doubles. So, at the start of the shoot we went ahead because it was not raining at that time. And, for all we knew the rain might have stopped for good.

At the February shoot a light rain was falling during the entire shoot. Before the shoot Terry had laminated the ATA size score sheets on both sides and provided grease pencils to keep score. The rain did not faze marking the scores one bit with this improved system. As a bonus the laminated score sheets are reusable. Seems like Terry was ok with us shooting in the rain.

We carefully analyzed our options that morning. February 10 was out because of a scheduled ATA event. February 17 we had members traveling to the Spring Grand which started the next day. February 24 was out as it was the last day of the Grand. There weren’t any more weekends in February.

If we postponed the shoot Terry was out $$$ for the staff he had available that day and for the perishable portion of the lunch he and his staff had prepared.

For the 2006-2007 shoot year we averaged 29.7 shooters per day. So far for the 2007-2008 shoot year we are averaging, including the 2 rainy day shoots, 33.8 shooters per day. I expect that this year’s average number of shooters will improve over the forthcoming shoots. Financially we have a slight improvement over last year at this time.

The BOD are doing all we possibly can to provide an excellent shooting opportunity and grow our club for the benefit of all our members. Some days they are tough decisions to make but we have to call them as we see them.

Charlie

8. sako2115

sako2115 TS Member

Was reading this...hmmm, offroad motorcycling was rain or shine, you go, and I had lots of fun even in the snow during an enduro. Winter backpacking has the spice of a challenge. I've also rock climbed in the rain. Trap in the rain, at least where I come from, is the norm, and I like seeing the shot string go through the raindrops. It can be fun and challenging. No pain, no gain, we need adventue!!!

9. In plain view

In plain view Member

Charlie: I have nothing but the highest respect for you and all the Directors and members. Maybe it's my age that gets my shorts in a knot but regretfully shooting or dancing in the rain is not my forte. I did it once in San Diego and I swore then I would never do it again. I do understand the difficulties in rescheduling and as I have mentioned in the past maybe we can get some feedback from our members as to a "make-up" system and let's face it, we have a high number of senior shooters and health and weather does take it's toll on us. In going forward it's highly desirable for all members to qualify for a year-end award. It takes 9 shoots just to qualify and when rain and wind dappens 3 of them so far this year it would be nice to get a make-up system started. As long as I have been a member of Tri County I have always strived to do what I can to keep it financially sound as my history of selling raffle tickets will contest to. I just felt Tri County & Redlands Shooting Park was losing needless income by shooting in the rain but thank god we in America can trully voice our opinions freely and go on from there. If the BOD's would discuss the possibility of having make-up shoots it would be appreciated by this member. Bob

10. BMC

BMC Member

Bob, the suggestion of make-up shoots was discussed by the BOD and it was unanimously decided that it was not a option to pursue. I’m sure advocates of a make up shoot will find that to be a faulty decision and maybe even take it personally. That is your prerogative to so and from the individual standpoint I wouldn’t blame you. However, with the presence of mind that I will surely incur the wrath of scrutiny, I offer the following comment:

1. Is it fair to those members who are not afraid of rain, nor afraid to get their guns wet, nor elected to accept the weather challenge and went out there just like any other day and shot to the best of their ability on that day, to have their scores, placings, awards, etc. dismissed in lieu of the potential better scores that could be shot by members who shot on a make up day in perfect weather?

2. Would it be an improvement to suggest that every time some members don’t like the particular weather, that the shoot be called off and rescheduled to another day? We have many members who drives 1-2 hours through some of the worst traffic to show up to every shoot and participate rain, wind or shine.

3. Is it fair to the host facility to make that decision on site prior to the event, and the host facility have to eat any expenses incurred to that point. Or would the club forfeit a “kill fee” to cover any facility expenditures accrued by the scheduling of our event for that day?

4. Would it be reasonable to those members who schedule their work, vacation or family activities around the standard shoot schedule, to have to forfeit the opportunity to shoot in a rescheduled shoot because some members didn’t care for the weather?

5. Would suggested make up shoots be for the sake of shooting the required nine events, or for buckle points? If for buckle points, then one would believe the suggestion would infer that scores acquired at said make up shoot would be factored into the shoot results that the make up shoot was in place for. Suggesting further that any scores shot higher than those in each class at the regularly scheduled shoot would then forfeit any earned points. If that is not the case, then what is the point of participating in a make up shoot? Is it for points, to meet the nine shoot minimum, or just to shoot on a nice day? Or all three?

6. It has yet to be suggested by supporters of the tabled concept of a make up shoot, as to what is the goal of shooting on another day? Is it for points accumulation? Required minimum? Averages? Or just not to have to shoot in weather they don’t like?

7. Would it be appropriate to suggest that offering alternative shoot dates as make up shoots for events where the weather wasn’t preferable, as offering the opportunity to “cherry pick” when a person wants to shoot?

8. Is “cherry picking” events throughout the shoot season a viable and proactive avenue the club wants to make available to its members?

9. Have supporters of the tabled concept of make up shoots considered the possible repercussions such a change of events would make, both pro and con? Or is it strictly a personal issue?

10. Would those who shot on the “bad weather” scheduled day be allowed to also participate on the “good weather” make up day to insure a level playing field in terms of scoring for that month? If not, why?

These are just some of the ideas/arguments/questions that must be answered without prejudice or biases. The BOD didn’t whimsically disregard the suggestion of make up shoots. The concept was discussed both pro and con with the unanimous decision not to amend the club by-laws to allow for make up shoots, based solely on the basis of equality for the membership as well as economics and scheduling for the facility and the membership. The decision was not personal nor a means of expressing non-gratis towards members such as yourself who have overwhelmingly and without disregard aided in the financial stability of the club over the years. The BOD in no way seeks to alienate any member or potential member based on a board decision. But decisions are made and it is understandable that some members will not agree with them. It’s an unfortunate price to have to pay when asked to reside in a position of authority and decision making.

"When striving to make all people happy, the only certainty is that most decisions will likely make some people unhappy."

That is my proposal to you Bob as a BOD.
    I say the following from my own personal viewpoint. I attended the shoot knowing it was raining, ailing from a nasty cold and popping meds to try and make me feel better, my co-workers and I just lost our jobs two days before, my stock had just been redone and I had no time to get it dialed in, my hands were cold and my feet were wet. But I and many others still wanted to be there. Terry saw me staring out into the sheets of rain prior to the event and stopped and said, “what are you looking at? Just see the target, shoot the target…ink ball…that’s all you have to think about today.” And he was right. Shooting in inclimate weather is just a hitch in the get-a-long, a bump in the highway…a challenge within the challenges. We have the luxury of being fair weather shooters in this area, and from that luxury it is easy to get spoiled and subjective about the way things should be done. Me personally….its just F&^%ing water! If that is all I have to worry about when shooting, I’m still pretty blessed to have the opportunity to make the decision to do so. Obviously five squads of die hard TCTC shooters felt the same way. They went out there in piss-poor shooting weather, manned-up and shot their targets and had a fun time doing it. Trapshooting is a mental competitive sport. And it starts with the mental decision a person makes whether or not they want to shoot on the competition day. Having fun and enjoying competition challenges is a personal thing. You choose what suits you, but that doesn’t change the fact that the challenge is still there and what might be unsuitable for one, can and will still be fun and competitive for others.

Brian.

11. BILLYBOB007

BILLYBOB007 TS Member

THAT'S MY BOY !!
    Billy Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.