1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Restrictive code for a 98

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by perga1, Apr 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I received a letter from the ATA today stating that I have had a restrictive code placed in my master record. Also stated: "This code will not allow yardage reductions through the 1000 target review process with out approval of your State/Provincial ATA Delegate and/or Central Handicap Committee member." There is no other explanation to explain why this has occurred. I have a call in to my state delegate. Has anyone else received a similar letter? At this point I can only surmise that this is a restriction caused by a score of 98 at the Southern Grand which resulted in a runner-up finish behind Leo with 100 and a sub-junior Category Champion with a 99 making it the third place score. Does this mean you cannot shoot a decent score from less than the 27 without getting restricted? JRM

2. rick979

rick979 Active Member

what yardage did you shoot the 98 from?

3. perga1

perga1 Active Member

23 yards, does that matter?

4. deking00

deking00 Member

How much money did you win?

5. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Just over $600 for the whole shoot. Not enough for an automatic code. JRM

6. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Been there, done that. You cannot get a reduction for at least 2 years and you have to apply for that. I broke a 98 from 26 1/2 and followed with a 96 from 27 at the last Grand in Vandalia. It took 3 years, eye surgery (had to prove it) and a 73 avg., and 3 requests, and I'm a vet., to get a reduction. Oh, I do not play purses.

7. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

So you are pissed because you can't go back to the 22 1/2?? Leo has been coded since he was about 14. Get over it and move on, show-em get another punch and keep on moving back.

Don

8. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I had a similar code after shooting a 99 in the Vandalia Handicap at the Grand from the 23.5. I bitched and moaned the following year like a baby, complainging that I couldn't even hit my toe with the gun on it. I'd call my Delegate (who later became the ATA President) asking for a reduction because I couldn't win a thing. He was a helluva lot smarter than I was.

Well, as it usually goes with complaining, I made the 27 and the end of the summer, so all my disgusting complaining made me look like a great bid fool!

I guess I didn't know how good I had it... until years later.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

R codes are automatic if you earn 1.5 yards in a single event. They can also be given by a member of the CHC or EC. A delegate, or actually any shooter, can request a member of the EC or CHC to consider giving a R code to anyone. A request form a delegate would be considered more seriously than a request form another shooter. But any request will generate a review of shooting records. All trophy winners at the Southern Grand did have their records reviewed.

Pat Ireland

10. perga1

perga1 Active Member

BigDon, It's funny, when I was typing this thread I said to myself I will hear from BigDon on how I should not be whining. You are right about Leo being coded but it does not restrict a 1,000 target review only the inability to move forward closer than the 24. FWIW, I have been back to the 26 and usually I can't break into the 90's once I get to the 24. Before you say practice I will tell you I shoot 5 days a week year round and have taken Phil's Clinic and Leo's Clinic. The eyes just can't hack it and you can't hit what you can't ee. Those of you who are looking at the money I will tell you that Leo (good for him) won more money at the SG than I have won in the past 5 years. I don't shoot to win money but I do play some of the options just in case I shoot a good score. Now that I am on the 24 my last two scores were 82 at the Florida State Shoot and a 92 this past weekend. I am wasting my money shooting from the 24 and now that I know there is no hope to be competitive again I just won't bother shoting registered. I can go out and shoot 80's low 90's in practice and save a lot of money. JRM

11. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Whiz that's great but after playing this game for 22 years I don't think I am headed there. Pat, the shooter with the 99 got 1.5 yards and I got a 1-yard punch. Jim

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you go to a big shoot and shoot a good score, you will be punished. HMB

13. perga1

perga1 Active Member

HMB, why? Isn't the objective to break the best score you can and compete based on your proven record? JRM

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Perga 1,

You would think so, and common sense wise you are right. But, the rule makers don't see it that way. HMB

15. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

perga1

"Just over $600. Not enough for an automatic code. Leo won a lot more, do you think he was coded to prevent a 1,000 target review?"

You asked the question. The book says.

"a score of 100 or winning a total of $1,200.00 or more
    (option and added money) in a single handicap event will automatically
    earn 1-1/2 yards provided these scores do not earn at least that much
    under the earned yardage table."

It doesn't say anywhere there that AA or 27yd shooters are exempt from the ruling.

You also said that.

"Pat, the shooter with the 99 and I got a 1-yard punch"

The yardage pay out from R.J. Stuart's website says that the 99 got 1.5 yards

EVENT # 15 - 03/15/2009

HANDICAP CHAMPIONSHIP

NAME

STATE SCORE EARN FROM TO

HARRISON I I I LEO MO 100 2.0 27.0 27.0

TERRY JACOB K TN 99 1.5 20.0 21.5

ALLEN JERRY K OH 98 1.0 24.5 25.5

MENDOZA JAMES R FL 98 1.0

Bob Lawless

16. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Perga, you have someone's attention. Either your delegate's or the CHC's. Usually someone complains to them before they do an R code.

17. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Ivanhoe, you are right but my main point to Pat was that the punch was for 1 yard and did not carry an automatic code. Thanks for reminding me, I think I will contact Jerry Allen who seemed like a real gentleman, and ask him if he was also restricted. Does anyone on the site know Jerry or his email address?Jim

18. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Still wondering if anyone else has received such a lettr and an explanation why? JRM

19. Shoot-at-em

Shoot-at-em TS Member

I didn't received a letter last summer from a 98 runner up score at a state shoot. I just looked at the rules (the ones Mr. Lawless quoted) and figured that I'd have to wait 2 years then 1000 targets for a possible reduction.

20. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Jim by BTW the R code doesn't say that you can't get a reduction it just says the computer can not give it.

"“R” coded shooter, system will not allow computer reduction"

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.