1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Restock or not?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by code5coupe, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

I've been shooting/hunting for 50 years, but only began seriously target shooting about three years ago (trap leagues, games days, etc.). Always wanted a shotgun with fancy wood.

I have a new Red Label that is my target gun. I'd like to have a new stock made, fitted by a pro and use figured wood. I found a nice, affordable piece of walnut at Gordy's, and he put me in contact with a stockmaker. The estimate from the stockmaker and the cost of the wood total $2250- $2450.

Dilema: should I put that much money into a Ruger? Or take the money and buy a Browning or Beretta? A new B-gun will have nice wood (although probably not as nice as the blank I'm looking at), but will not be "fitted".

Can you come up with a justification for doing this that I can't seem to find??
    Thanks!

Code

2. Baber

Baber TS Member

Spend $2k on a Ruger... No way... go buy a B gun with an adjustable stock. You will happier and your wallet will not take a major hit.

TB

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Agree w/ TB. Get a gun for the game.

4. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

If you look at all the gun racks at all the ATA shoots in the world, you will see about 4 Rugers, MAYBE. Now ask yourself why is this. Don't drop that kind of money on a Ruger unless you are really in love with it and plan on taking it to the grave with you. While you will not get that stock money back out of ANY gun, you will get closer to it with any trap gun besides a Ruger, or a Mossburg. JMHO. John

5. Straight99

Straight99 Member

If you like to shoot your Ruger go ahead and get it restocked. If you are really into trap get a trap gun and get a stock. Shoot a few so you know what gun you like. If your really going to spend that kind of money go to the Kolar factory and get a T/S with a stock made just for you. It will cost about $7000 total. They have one of the best stock makers around. Glenn

6. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

LF......you have mail......another $.02 worth !!!

7. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

LF,
    Sent ya a response
    LB

8. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

Yikes! That's a lot of money to spend on a Ruger. You can probably buy a Browning, and get it custom stocked for not too much more than that if you shop around. In fact an off-the-shelf trap gun might not even have to be restocked, just refitted a bit. Should you spend more money on wood quality or fit? Depends. Do you want the gun to look great on the rack, or do you want to smoke targets?

Don't get me wrong, I love beautful wood.

9. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

" Don't drop that kind of money on a Ruger unless you are really in love with it and plan on taking it to the grave with you."

Well, that's part of the problem: I REALLY like Ruger's and plan to, if not take them to my grave, leave them to my sons at least. :)

Regardless, it sounds like the consensus, of people who know more about these things than I do, is to not spend the money on this gun.

Thanks, guys.

10. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

"Well, that's part of the problem: I REALLY like Ruger's and plan to, if not take them to my grave, leave them to my sons at least. :)

Regardless, it sounds like the consensus, of people who know more about these things than I do, is to not spend the money on this gun."

Nobody, NOBODY, knows more than you. If you're in love with your Ruger...Hell, it's like being in love with your wife or dog. Nobody can tell you what they're worth TO YOU.

11. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

I agree, you won a league with your Ruger..ya beat my Browning, and alot of other Berettas...If ya own it, love it and shoot it..
    Bust 'em All..lb

12. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

LIFE'S TOO SHORT TO SHOOT AN UGLY GUN......

13. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Just beware, the Ruger is not a target shotgun. It will not stand up to the pounding of 10K + shells per year. A couple of years ago or so, Ruger actually tried to enter the competition shotgun world - it was a failure. So if you are only going to shoot a few shells, get pretty stock on the Ruger. I you actually want to shoot trap - spend a few more bucks and buy a trap gun and then get a new stock stock for the hunting gun (Ruger).

14. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

Here's a comparison which might help you decide. Our dog, now nearly 13 was sick recently. We took him first to one vet, then another. They couldn't figure it out. We then took him to a board certified (ie expensive) vet internist who examined and did an ultrasound.

"He's got an ernormous, baseball-sized abscess on his prostate. If you want to save him, get him to a top-notch surgeon, right now. No, your local vet can't handle this."

We took him to a fine vet clinic where a board certified (ie expensive) surgeon corrected the problem, and he's now perfectly healthy and should live out his normal life span. That may be 3 or 4 more years.

The bill was $5000. I could have bought a brand-spanking new dog, equal quality, for $750.

If the bill had been $25,000 the choice would have been the same.

15. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

jnoemanh - Sorry - I cannot equate a dog with a gun. I have loved a dog, I have never loved a gun. I am not pressed to sell any guns, but for the right price, they are all for sale. Wife and kids are in a grey area but the dogs have never been up for grabs.

16. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

"I cannot equate a dog with a gun. I have loved a dog, I have never loved a gun. I am not pressed to sell any guns, but for the right price, they are all for sale. Wife and kids are in a grey area but the dogs have never been up for grabs."

I almost agree with you. All of my guns, except one, are for sale for the right price. So are all of my wives, except one, all of my kids, except one, and all of my dogs, except one.

17. Mr. Marcy

Mr. Marcy TS Member

Or you could buy a BB gun they are custom fitted and will have nice wood!

Mr. Marcy

18. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Get another gun, its not worth investing that much money for wood.

Berettaman7

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.