1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Resting gun on foot..

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Dec 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

We've got a youth shooter in the club that insists on resting the gun on his toes between shots. We've got nice carpeted pieces of wood at each station for just this purpose, but he insists on resting it on his toes. Says "That's what all the top shooters do". Most of us think it's a dangerous practice but the powers that be don't want to make an issue of it. Of course, the gun is broken open, but often he's got a live shell in there in preparation for his next shot.

Opinions?

2. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I would have to guess that the chance of a shell going off in the chamber of a break-open gun (with the gun broken-open) is about the same as a shell going off in your shell pouch. However, if safety is the main concern, and I believe it should be, then having a live round in the chamber of even a break-open gun should be discouraged, until the gun is pointed downrange. Having the gun barrel resting on any pad on concrete could have bad consequences if it went off.

Danny

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

It seems the young shooter is copying what he sees thinking it's the way to go. You can try to correct it if you feel it's potentially dangerous but don't get your hopes up too high.

We have young & old shooters doing the same thing. Some use the pads we supply & some use shoe tops. Basically it's a non-issue for us.

Eric

4. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I do the same thing if there is no block of wood, or an old piece of tire to rest it on. Bulge.

5. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

Don't know if the rules have changed but SCTP did not allow it.Probably a good idea IMO.

6. gena321

gena321 Member

I see nothing wrong with it. Commen sense needs to prevail though.But only on a break-open type firearm.(over-under). It would be no more dangerous than to carry a live shell in your pocket. Some clubs may not allow this practice, but they are rules, and although sometimes they dont make any sense, they are still rules.I use my foot also, but I dont load a round till the shooter before me basically calls for a bird, and I do it with very little motion so not to disturb him. Sometimes we worry about things, that need not be worried about...Gene from Pa.

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

With a break-open gun the practice is quite safe and I practice it myself. OTOH, with an auto or a pump I would discourage it.

John C. Saubak

8. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

capvan, you didn't say. Is the gun a break open gun? Even if it is, do SCTP rules permit it? No, I don't think so.

But it does look cool, and that's what's really important. Kinda like catching your ejected hulls in the air. That's how you get girls. And besides, all the top shooters do it, you know.

Rule number 1 is: He's the kid. You're responsible (and legally liable, to point out the obvious), so you get to set the rules. It ain't a democracy.

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I agree with OLD COWBOY. I am guilty w/break open guns only.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Not to start an argument Fred but, the "experienced shooter" sounds a bit like the guy who pointed his loaded 30-06 Rem 700 at his foot and then moved the safety "off", blew his foot off and then sued Remington.......

Some things like guns and airplanes are not Murphy-proof and they can't be made that way without rendering them useless.

John C. Saubak

11. 20yard

20yard TS Member

There is no danger with a break-open gun rested on foot, period. The focus for youth should be to keep guns open, semi-auto and pumps with open actions. It's typical in US for resting break open on toe or on toe patch. I notice in europe with bunker trap the stations are made of a padded material, not concrete and guns are rested on the ground.

12. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Hmmm! Guess I'd better change my ways, I do shoot a pump & do rest it on my toe occasionally but NEVER put a shell in the receiver until gun is up & pointed down range, because I know my gun (Mod. 31 Rem TC) and it will fall shut when standing on it's bbl. But other people may not notice that the shell is in my hand or pocket until it's my turn to shoot, certainly DON"T want to give anybody any bad examples or cause for concern. Thanks for the heads-up. Ross Puls

13. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Trivial ! Fight the battles that matter. jmho Bill

14. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Here's an opportunity to fix something that could be more of a problem than putting the gun on his toe; keeping up with the Jones'.

I can come up with a host if reasons why I do something, but, "because the top shooters do it" should never be one of them. I see "top shooters" with their finger on the trigger before they mount, would you let your kid do that? I see "top shooters" who point the barrel of their gun at people, even though empty would you let your kid do that?

So called "top shooters" do many things that should be imitated and many that shouldn't. You should do it because it works for you not because some other shooter does it.

This kid resting the gun on his toe isn't the issue. Why he does it, is.

15. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I am guilty of this practice as well as many of you,(with a break open gun.) But since it has been condemned by AIM and forbidden by youth shooting groups, I have purchased a coupe of gun rests from Gunbuddy who advertised on this site and have begun to re-train myself to use the little magnetic gunrest instead of my shoe. Jack Farrow

16. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

This thread is consistent with the litigious country we live in. If some one is worried that a gun that is out of battery is going to go off, this is just non senses. If you are trying to protect someone from their own stupidity because you are afraid of being sued, that's something else. Guns are very serious, and that must be ingrained it the kids, and the scenario of the distracted shooter is just ridiculous. What is that distracted shooter hears something behind him, turns around and shoots the scorer? How do you prevent that? Or this same "distracted" shooter is told it's his shot, turns to the shooter who tells him and his gun goes off? The premise of protecting the distracted shooter from himself must start with ingrained safety habits. If you are trained to respect you firearm, break it open before you do anything else, after shooting a shot, failure to fire, moving etc. Only having a shell in the chamber when you about to shoot etc. This must become your default action. Once again, the assumption you are putting untrained kids on the line is wrong and should not be allowed, not putting untrained kids on the line and trying to protect them from their ignorance is just wrong. Bruce

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

There is absolutely nothing wrong with what the kid is doing, there is something wrong with people who feel they have to protect us from ourself ... What you have mentioned is a common practice and has been for many years, get over it and enjoy the time you have at the club and worry about what you do and not what others do ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    A picture says a thousand words.

19. shelly

shelly TS Member

Looks like somebody's been using Photoshop.

20. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Ask the guy who blew off a toe at the PA State shoot around 20 years ago! Seems he forgot the gun was loaded, rested it on his toe and inadvertantly pulled the trigger. We all thought it was quite funny at the time knowing the individual.

Surprisingly, his name came up today at a local trapshoot. He was known as "snake". His reputation will always be slightly tarnished!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.