1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Restaurants around Elysburg

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Apr 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Any good upscale restaurants or bars around Elysburg/Danville or Bloomburg?

2. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

There's a steak restaurant on the main drag in Elysburg, I can't remember the name. However,when my wife gets up in the morning,I'll check with her. Many years ago, I lived within 9 miles of Elysburg & the restaurant was called Cox's. Fabulous food & had the added benefit that it was a hang out for Rocky Marciano. There are two good restaurants in Danville, One on the main street,again,I'll check with my wife on the name. Also in Danville,there is The Pine Barn Inn,up near the Geisinger Medical Center=excellent food. Owned by the sister of Arnold Palmer. For Italian food,you can't beat Matucci's 4th & Willow streets in Mt.Carmel.
    More info will follow.
    Joe Jordan

3. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Thanks for the info JJJ, I was hoping to be able to find something decent in the area.

4. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

Rich,
    I am typing this without my glasses,but here goes. The place on the main street(Mill Street) they used to have Iron mines in Danville,many moons ago. The first T-Rail in America(Railroad) was rolled in Danville, Enough of the history lesson. The steak(&bar) place on Mill Street is BJs. You can't go wrong with either BJs on Mill Street,or The Pine Barn Inn.Don't order Maryland Crab Cake & expect to get Maryland Crab. I repeat,for Italian,it's Matucci's(spelling?) in Mt.Carmel.
    Enjoy your trip,shoot,eat,drink,& make merry---in that order.
    Now,I'll let my bride of 54 years go back to sleep.
    JJJ

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I know drhuner lives close to Elysburg...I'm sure if you knock on his door and tell him you're a shooter too ..that he'll cook you up a feast ; )

6. steele

steele TS Member

Try BJ's in Danville & Matuccis in Mt Carmel. Both are traditional stops for trapshooters.

7. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

You might also try Ghezzi's in Paxinos. It is a very easy drive from Elysburg.

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Stay away from anything that is loosely called "fresh seafood/fish", especially at the Pine Barn....at best their menu is mediocre and over priced.

BJ's also is mediocre, but in their defense, they do serve cold beer.

I'm sure there are many good restaurants in the area, but all I've been able to find are ones that have mediocre and over priced food.

Remember that restaurant quality, pricing, etc., is a very subjective matter.

Curt

9. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

What is the name of the BBQ place out the VGC gate toward Elysburg on the right?

It is a family run business and has great BBQ chicken, ribs and all the sides and fixins for a great price.

Guy Babin

10. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Guy...don't know about that one, but Skeeter's in Shamokin Dam is very good (even considering it's north of the Mason-Dixon).

Curt

11. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Allies(sp) is a new place last year, just North of Elysburg toward's Danville, starting down the 2nd hill. It's clean, bright, and they cater to the shooters, with great specials, like Alaska King crab for $20 (last year) and good Prime Rib on Saturday nights, as I recall + Yueingling's on tap. Also the OIP at the Northeast corner at the intersection behind the drug store opposite Sheetz is good, fast, and reasonable. Check out their fabulous frozen Sorbet desert. Also the old place (forgot the name) just outside the entrance to the Southwind MGF plant before the intersection from Elysburg, at Paxinos, has been remodeled/reopened. There's a ton of upscale chain resturants at the I-80 intersection at Bloomsburg in the new shopping center...Quaker Steak & Lube, and Charlie Brown's to name a couple. The best kept secret and most elegant place is at Watsontown, the Watsontown Inn. It's East and North of I-80 between US-15 and I-180 on the East side of the river, and certainly worth at least one visit. It's a historic building with beautiful old wood panneled dining room(s), and I think, reasonably priced.

best...mike

12. Kolarpole

Kolarpole Member

Guy Babib.......place is....Roadarmels Chicken & Ribs, Elysburg, PA : Reviews and maps - Yahoo ...Roadarmels Chicken & Ribs, Elysburg, PA : Reviews and maps - Yahoo! Local, 570.672.3181.....

13. JayZap

JayZap Active Member

Don't forget Massers located at the intersection of Rt61 & 487. I never had a bad meal there.

14. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

THAT'S IT!!!!

Yum, yum.... My favorite.

Thanks.

You gotta go Curt... my treat.

Guy

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Massers if you wanna get stuffed cheap. What they really need is tap beer!!

16. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

Charlie Brown's IS EXCELLENT. Certainly in the top 5 in the area.
    I agree you don't go north to get good seafood.NEVER order Seafood north of the Mason-Dixon line. I repeat BJs & Matucci's(Italain) are hard to beat.Steak& COLD Beer=BJ's-Danville,Matucci=Italin-Mt. Carmel. Pine Barn Inn IS expensive,however,not if you are shooting a K-80 or the equivalent.
    Roadermel's has been serving the Danville Area for over 50 years.Has been a family owned Butcher Shop since time began. I also agree with the Watsonstown Inn. These choices should be able to satisfy the most selective palate.

JJJ

17. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Another place we really like, especially the girls, is The Country Cupboard. It's like a giant Cracker Barrel with it's shops, and a great buffet all under one roof. There's treasures, from clothing to hand made chocolates and everything in between. The wilted lettuce salad is my favorite and there's a seafood buffet on Fridays, I think, but have never seen. It's 5mi south of I-80 on US 15 just north of Lewistown. Be prepaired to spend a couple of hours.....after you eat!

best...mike

PS: good for you JJJ for finding Watsontown Inn.

18. DTULL

DTULL TS Member

MUSTANG SALLIES DEPENDING ON WHAT YOU LIKE TO EAT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.