1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Responsible Wife and Husband Looking For Dove

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dt10john, Jul 8, 2013.

1. dt10john

dt10john Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Wife and I are looking for a place in either NW Ohio or Freemont,IN area to shoot doves. Wife and I own a home in Hillsdale,MI and would like to have a one or two day hunt. Please let me know if you know who to contact or any other possible leads. Not trying to free load.

P.S Drop the XXX from the email.
  2. Dave Berlet

Dave Berlet Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Checkout Brad Dysinger's www.thornbottom.com just a few miles south east of Paulding in Paulding county ohio. This wouldn't be too far from Hillsdale Michigan. They always have dove hunters in during early September.

I hope this is some help to you. 419 587 3555 is the phone number.

Dave Berlet
  3. perezal

perezal Member

Apr 15, 2013
    Try the Ohio Public Hunting Lands. You buy a permit and you can hunt for the entire season for that one time fee.

4. fishman-Ret.

fishman-Ret. TS Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Do they still use steel shot @ Pigeon River. I quit because I couldn't use my 410 anymore.

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Northeastern MD @ the top o the Bay
    ...we was lookin' for Dove in all the wrong places...Lookin for Dove...oops sorry,..wrong song
  6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I used to find a ton of morels in Mongo
  7. Fhil Whiner

Fhil Whiner TS Member

Jan 29, 1998

LaSuAnn wildlife area is in NW Ohio. You will need to purchase a Non-Resident license @ $125.00 and then you will need a HIP number too. You just call in and get thet.

LaSuAnn manages about 10 fields for dove. Some fields are more successful than others. The past few years we have had several shooters from Dearborn come down and join us in the fields. It has been quite interesting since they have been coming.

Remington stock must be up, just in the sale of shells to these guys. They usually start 15 minutes before law comes in. They throw a wall of lead out at each dove that would make the defenders of Berlin in WW2 proud. The AD (anti-dove) fire is scary.

My friends and I pat ourselves on the back for using the fewest shells to get our limit, these guys sway the bell curve big time. When we walked out of the field last year, I twisted my ankle when I had to wade thru the river of "game loads" they were shooting.

When the shooting slows down, around 9:00 am, they proceed in chasing singles down by shooting them off limbs from the trees in the fence rows. Sportsmanship is not high on the list.

The pre-law ritual is alto good. I heard at least 1 chanting to ???? (Allah) in the dark of the morning.

The law doesn't come in until 7:15 am, but they show up at the field somewhere around 3:00 am to get to thier spots. It works, as they fill the best 20 places in the field. Despite that we will go as far away from them as we can and we still have a good time.

A little pre-season scouting at the fields will show which will be the most likley producers for opening day.

Lead shot is allowed on the dove fields, but there is a 3 shot law on the shotgun.

We have been trying to get some shooting other than public ground, because of these guys, but as far as I know, there has not been any incidents on the grounds.

Good luck