1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Resizing station on MEC 9000 GN

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Pat D, Feb 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pat  D

Pat D TS Member

Hello all,
    I posted a thread a few days ago regarding the occasional hanging up of the shell when rotating to station two. The brass would hang up on the collet fingers because the lifting plate would be low. It was recommended to extensively clean the collet fingers. I gave it a great cleaning and lubricated it and then went to assemble it again and didn't realise that I have lowered and raised the collet adjustment nut (the one that will increase or decrease the sizing of the brass) while cleaning. I read about how to adjust it and the manual said that 12 gauge shells would have a dimension of MIN. .804 and MAX 0f .806 at the largest setting I have .802 I curious what are the dimensions that your machine is coming out with? Is it that the brass is not expanding much and doesn't need sizing?

Regards,
    Pat

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Find some fired shells from other guns, and get yours out. Try to find a hull that will not chamber in your gun with the tightest chamber. Then adjust the collet so it chambers freely. You will quickly figure out which on of your shotguns has the tightest chamber.

Trying to restore the brass to unfired dimensions is not necessary, and will cause your press to give problems.

3. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

If you only use one gun, then resize only far enough to easily chamber in that gun. If you have multiple guns, then resize just far enough to easily chamber in the tightest chamber. You should only resize to the level you need as resizing smaller than absolutely necessary will cause the the brass to fail/crack early, and puts additional and unnecessary wear and tear on the loader. Factory shells are purposely small in this dimension in order to fit and all chambers. A very useful tool in this regard is the MEC shell checker, a small alloy plate with go/no-go holes for various gauges. It is very inexpensive and a good tool for shotshell reloader
    Also, remember when adjusting the collet to keep a nut flat properly aligned with the turret base to prevent rubbing/friction and possible problems in operation.

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Hulls don't need re-sized if used in the same gun they were originally fired in. The MEC 650 works fine without a re-sizing die if you start with new shell hulls fired from your gun and only those hulls. I used a 650 for loading for my model 12 for years without any problems! Hap

5. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

Just mic'd a couple of mine with a digital and an analog. .802-.804

6. Hap MecTweaks

flincher100, like you, I don't resize my hulls to factory dimensions and haven't for years. It's my belief my hulls last longer as a result of that practice. Do you notice the same thing with your used hulls by getting more reloads out of them? I believe the practice is harder on the loader and the longevity of my hulls. JMHO Hap

7. Hap MecTweaks

flincher100, me too but minners make big fish too? :) Hap

8. Pat  D

Pat D TS Member

Hello, and thank you for the replies,
    BEERKING, you miked your hulls and basically have the same dimensions as I. I'd like to ask if your adjustment nut is up on the fingers. I ask because I know that before I took it apart it was threaded up into the fingers, and then when I went through my adjustments I bottomed it out. It was also mentioned that it less wear on the fingers and machine if sizing isn't involved. When I started to readjust the fingers I start a little more than half way up on the fingers, and took a measurement and then I bottomed it out to the least resistance and had absolutely no difference. So I come to the conculsion that the hulls aren't expanding enough to be resized in the collet and since I have the adjustment nut to the least resistance I have less wear on my machine. Thank you all for your input, I have learned and saved my machine.

Regards,
    Pat

9. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I just measured 3 of mine and they were in the .8065-.8071 range.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

proper settings for each station mec 9000gn