1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Resizing on a MEC

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by PatMiles, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

I bought a used MEC 9000 for reloading 12 gauge. Having never reloaded for shotgun I am wondering what the target diameter for the bases should be so I can dial in the collett resizer. I'm reloading Gun Club hulls that I shot while getting set up to reload and realize they are a steel base and probably won't expand as much as brass based hulls but I'm just trying to do things right from the get go. New GC's measure .804".

Thanks,

Pat

2. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Excellent loader choice! I bought a used 9000G and have loaded many thousands very effectively. With each handle stroke, just be sure to watch that the charge bar travels fully to drop powder and shot and a primer drops for the next shell. This will help you catch problems as they happen. I quit loading Gun Clubs for the reason you noted...steel bases do NOT accept resizing and are a PITA to load. Stick with STS hulls - based on lots of attempts to load them, I believe the Gun Clubs are: 1. hard on the collet resizer of your MEC; 2. wear out the loader more quickly; 3. require more arm strength to operate the loader as they resist the resizing; and 4. even if successfully loaded, may not fit the chamber of your gun after loading...I had trouble with 1100s, 391s, and 870s. I learned the hard way about the 4 issues described above. Best Regards, Ed

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Before doing any adjusting of the collet, load a few shells and see if they fit in your gun. HMB

4. PatMiles

That's what I planned on doing. Just looking for a dimension right now. Anybody?

Pat

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The dimension you are looking for is .002 smaller than the chamber you are going to put the shell in. And if it is an auto you might want a little more play. HMB

6. rautdr

rautdr Member

A very authoriative source of MEC reloaders on the SGW forum says the rule of thumb for resizing is( I believe) .005 over the size of a new shell. hope this helps, Dan

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Crank the collet nut down until there's no gap between the fingers when the handle is all the way down and a shell is the resizer. Now, move on to other things. Good luck.

8. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

It is really not something that needs to be dwelled on. Just like it was said above make sure the collect closes completely, but be careful that you don't close the collet down too far or you'll break the collet fingers.

As far as the comment that GC "cannot" be resized is not true. They can be resized. Difference between steel based hulls and the brass is that when they are first shot the steel bases with expand and not contract like brass will. Therefore reloaded GC's may stick in autos. Just make sure the collet is properly adjusted and you should not have any problems with chambering the GC.

Bryan

9. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I don't have any problem re-sizing GCs with a Mec collet re-sizer think it's a #77 Super Sizer, anyway it works great and I load a bunch of GCs, also they give me as many re-loads as anything else & more than AA-HS. Size as per above just so they fit in your gun easily. Ross Puls

10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Pat, As said adjust until fingers are closed, but not to much. Just enough to close the fingers. Now Mec does sell a "Shell Checker" just so you can check your shells for sizing in the mid of loading without having to get a gun out of the safe. It works for all 6 different size shotshells and is without a dought a great tool to have. Even more-so if you load 2 or more guages like I do!!! Good Luck with your new press. break em all Jeff

11. PatMiles

Thanks for the info gents.
    Yeah, I was looking for the correct setup/dimension so I can get on with cranking out shells. Just wanting to get it correct from the get go.

Pat

12. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Steel bases will expand greater than brass. In theory the steel bases are harder on your resizing collet but, you should not see any issues with the MEC sizer do to them being harder. I've reloaded quite a few GC's and the Remmy black beauties and they come out very well but prefer the Nitro and STS's for the brass bases. Reload them and have fun. The Remmy econo-shells are the best of those types 10x over the others.

13. Doughboy

Doughboy Member

The MEC loaders manual says a finished resized shell base should be a minimum of .804 and a maximum of .806. If you didn't get the manual with your loader, you can download it from Mec's website. I load a majority of steel base hulls on two of my machines and have no problems.

Good Luck
    Kurt

14. PatMiles

Thanks to all for their input.

Pat

15. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

I have loaded over 50,000 shells on my mec with very few problems until this year. The shells started hanging up bad in my wife's Browning XT, couldnt get it shut about every 5th shell. They measured between 808-811, somehow the resizer had got out of adjustment. I adjusted it to match the factory loads of 804 and now have no problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how to setup the sizimng station on a mec 9000
mec 9000g wont resize

specs for resizing 12 gauge shells

what size does a mec 9000 resize 12 ga shells