1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Resizing loaded shells??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bisi, Nov 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Resizing loaded shells?

I stopped by a friends house this afternoon. He was in his garage resizing a bunch of shells that he had got from some widow whose husband died a year or so ago.

The shells were hanging up in his gun so he decided to resize em. They were loaded.

I thought WTH is he doing. He had a MEC supersizer on a bench about waist high and he would lean over it and but a loaded shell in and resize. Leaning right over the “muzzle” end of the shell and putting pressure on it. What the hell would happen if the shell went off?

I asked him about that and he said he has always resized loaded shells.

I got home called another buddy and said “you wouldn’t believe what that crazy sob is doing” Well this guy resizes loaded shells too.

Am I the only guy out there that thinks resizing loaded shells while leaning over the business end of the shell is a bad idea???????? Seems to be an easy way to lose a head or something.

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I don't recommend doing it, but there are people that will do it. The Mec collet tool is probably not that unsafe, but you just never know. If I were to do so, I would have eye and face protection and NOT be putting body parts in from of the business end of the shells. Call and ask Mec if you should do it and I can almost predict the answer they'll give you. It would likely be a 2 letter word starting with "N" and ending with "O".

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I think you have some wierd friends. I'd rather do it before hand. As for taking reloads from someone else, that ranks just as dumb in my book. I do know if a shell goes off outside the firearms chamber its not near the same boom. I would think you would be asking for trouble none-the-less. JMHO

Matt

4. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I guess my biggest objection is for aesthetic reasons. I just don't like the way it looks.

Slim if any chance of the shell going off. It just looks dangerous, if you ask me.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Bisi

All it takes is once!

6. Baber

Baber TS Member

I have done it. Withe the MEC sizer it's easy and safe. Saved cutting up 250+ shells that were so sowllen they would not chamber.

Tom

7. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Vic Reinders told me years ago should a shotshell go off and it is not inside the barrel of a shotgun it will just fizzle out. I never did it, so I can't be sure.
    Steve Balistreri

8. grntitan

Tom--I would have been more concerned as to why the shells were so swollen they would not chamber.

Bisi---Slim chance is still a chance. One piece of shot slips in the wrong place like between the primer and loader and Kaboooy.

9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

How could there be a problem? There is nothing to punch the primer. There is nothing coming up or down to the primer. All its doing is resizing the base.

10. grntitan

This is on the same line as recovering your live primers from screw-ups(which i do). The big difference is the screw-ups are not completely loaded.

Matt

11. seymore/82

seymore/82 Active Member

Several years ago I took my loader to the Grand for Mec to go thru as they do this as a service for you at a nominal fee. Well in late December,January back to reloading I go with no problems. The gun I was shooting at this time had a exceptional tight chamber and would not allow the gun to close on any of the 20 plus "Cases" not boxes of shells that I had loaded. I used a Mec Super Sizer on every one of them. Not even one thought of it being dangerious. I don't blame Mec for this problem but if you have any "Collet" problems this is one thing you want to make sure is adjusted right before you go as far as I had gone.

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Seems like a perfectly normal thing to do to me. HMB

13. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Isn't there a "Darwin Award" for doing stuff like this? Playing with loaded ammo in any way is risky business. Don't tell your insurance man what you're up to, your rates might go up.

Bob

14. claykiller

claykiller Member

Sounds like some of you are auditioning for the show "A 1000 Ways To Die."

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

If a reload was produced correctly, it would not be necessary to resize the loaded shell. If a reload was produced incorrectly, I do not want to shoot it. If a live round somehow would go off in a resizer that did not encase the shell in a sealed metal tube, such as some of the MEC resizers, all that would happen is the primer would pop and the powder would produce a small fire hazard around the resizer. In a sealed tube used by other resizers, something very bad could happen.

Pat Ireland

16. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

your first sentence should have given you some indication to the whole situation. why would anyone want to deal with some other guys reloads. if they were factory shells i would accept them. not me and some dudes reloads. in my mind i think i have the best reloads in the country but, i wouldn't give you any of my reloads and i wouldn't expect you to shoot them. i wouldn't shoot any of yours unless we knew each other pretty well. wouldn't take the chance on them. i'd be looking to see if the old widow has any old guns laying around the house that she didn't want.

17. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

It is actually pretty safe however I would never do it because I never shoot others reloads. I would simply dismantle the shells and save what I could

18. Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee Member

I have done this with a Mec Supersizer from time to time only with loaded shells I close the collets much slower with steady pressure and make sure they a free of anything the face of the shell might come in contact with. A neighbor of my parents had a house fire and everyone was very concerned because they knew that he had a large amount of shot shells in the area of the house that was burning. I was told by a fireman that shotgun shells will not go off in a fire only burn hotter when the powder is burnt, but brass ammunition is a turn and run situtation.

19. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Some people play Russian Roulett......

20. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

I once had a few cases of reloaded AA's given to me. I "candled" each one over a strong light to check for a double charge. They worked fine. However, if they were given to me, and they didn't chamber, I'd cut them in half with a PVC cutter and save the lead, and primers.

If they were my own reloads, and for some reason they didn't chamber (never happened!), I would be OK with carefully resizing (I wouldn't force any), and even useing a little silicone and running them through the final sizer, again not forcing any. I use a MEC 650 grabber.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can i resize a loaded shell

can i resize a loaded shotgun shell

can i resize loaded shotgun shells

can you resize loaded shotgun shells

how to resize shotgun shells without press

resizing loaded shot shells

shotgun shell after loaded sizer

why resize shell