1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Resizing hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blkfin, Jan 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkfin

blkfin Member

Would like to know if resizing is needed before reloading. Are there any benifits to it. Loaded some AAs without resizing and they drop into my o/u with no problem. Thanks Mike K.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you shoot them in the same barrel there should be no problem. If the chambers in both barrels of your gun are the same there should be no problem shooting them in either barrel. HMB

3. gasman03

gasman03 Member

I am no expert on reloading but I have done a lot the last few years. I have found the brass base hulls will reload a couple times with out resizing but the steel bases need it every time. I have a 366 and I just made it a habit to do it every time on every hull. Hope it helps.

Corey

4. Boxer

Boxer TS Member

if hulls you use are shot out of your gun your gonna be good to go, if you pick them up out of the pails,garbage, ground etc. you have to resize or your gonna have some problems

5. blkfin

blkfin Member

These are all once fired AAs (red) and I only will reload then 2-3 times. Seem to get really dirty after 3 reloads. Thanks for your input. Mike K.

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The general rule is that not all chambers are the same size. If you shot the shells in your one and only gun and intend to reload them until discarded, resizing isn't necessary. If you have 2 or more guns in which your reloads will be shot, you should resize hulls to meet the needs of your tightest chamber and they will work in the others. If you are shooting an auto-loader, I'd suggest resizing all shells to ensure they will drop right into the chamber of that auto without any problems. If you are a scrounger and pick up shells left on the ground or collected in boxes for sale, I recommend resizing the hulls until they fit your tightest chamber the first time at least. Setting the resizer to a suitable minimum for every shot will guarantee they'll work for you no matter what......breakemall.....Bob Dodd

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

my 870 does not like non resized reloads....at all. unless shot factory load from the 870

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Resize them all!

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Perhaps not for my gun, but for my reloader, it is absolutely necessary for me to resixe shells. My reloader will not work correctly unless the hull is resized first. Have any others noticed this with a PW ?

Pat Ireland

10. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

I've found that I'm better off if I resize everything. I have several 12ga guns that I use and the chamber sizes vary just enough to make it necessary. I use a MEC Supersizer and it works great.

11. blkfin

blkfin Member

Mrslc, I hate resizing,and really slows production. Not resizing does not effect shell drop in my O/U. Reloader still works fine, so I will just enjoy reloading without resizing. Mike K.

12. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but, doesn't the reloader do this automatically? Factory set it and forget it. I'm a scrounger and never even thought about resizing loads for different guns. My AA's work in my 1100 and my K-80 equally as well. Dave T.

13. blkfin

blkfin Member

Dave, On my 366 you have to put the hull in the resizing die then into the plate for the next 8 stations. really slows things down. Used to resize first with a mec resizer then do my reloading. I enjoy reloading but resizing s****s. Thus the reason for asking the question about resizing benifits. Mike K.

14. blkfin

blkfin Member

Pat, I had 50 Bags that were short 5 each Ha ,Ha, Send your address so I can mail you a check for postage on my free bag of wads. Thanks, Mike K.

15. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I agree that you are best to resize if you have the time. Using the same hulls in the same gun would probably negate the need to resize. But I run all hulls through my MEC Supersizer, before reloading. DTrkow, in a MEC 650 there is no resizing operation. Also, with a Hornady 366 the resizing is a separate station. I use a 366 and by running all hulls through the Supersizer, I can skip that station. Resizing just gives me "peace of mind", even if I shoot them in the same gun all of the time. If you ever have problems on the line due to the shells not going into your gun; you will definitely experience extreme frustration. Been there and done that. Ed

16. blkfin

blkfin Member

Ed, Now you just gave me another head game for my trap shooting. To resize or not. Just hit 89 straight, Will the next one chamber or not? Looks like I'm Going back to resizing Thanks Mike K.

17. below 0

below 0 TS Member

I've found that I need to resize Gold Medals at least the first time. After that they go into my Kolar just fine. Seams like the longer brass tends to get stuck just outside the chamber if I don't resize. No problems with AA or Rems.

Dale

18. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Mike: As stated I resize all my hulls through a MEC Supersizer. I can easily resize 25 shells, (1-box) per minute. Therefore I can resize a flat in 10 minutes. (Maybe less) Small price to pay for piece of mind. Several years ago I bought some one fired STS hulls from a fellow shooter. At that time I had a MEC 650. I loaded several boxes of these hulls on the 650. (no resizer) I ended up having to purchase a new box of shells to finish the 100 round event. Out of the 100 reloaded shells, I must have had 20 shells that would not go into my gun. I was frustrated and embarrassed due to the whole fiasco. What a nightmare. Never again. Ed

19. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I also load with a 366 for 25 years and never once did I skip the resize station . How much time can be saved ?? Once you have a shell that won`t fit into the gun will be when you realize the importance of resizing .

20. dverna

dverna Active Member

I am also plagued with reloaders that afford me no option but to resize.

To address your question - resize. You may trade your gun or get a new one. You may get the chance to try out a new gun your buddy got. You may need to give someone a couple of boxes because they forgot their ammo or did not bring enough.

Pretty embarrassing to have shells that don't work.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.