1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Resizing-- Grabber vs. 600jr

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by valmet, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. valmet

valmet TS Supporters TS Supporters

has anyone had any issues with a resized 600jr hull vs. a resized grabber hull, such as ejecting from an autoloader, or any other comparison between these two resized hulls ?? (any brand of hull). thanks, dennis

2. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

I feel the collet-type does a far better job of resizing as it is adjustable, effortless, and doesn't scrape or swage the metal base. Buy a 600Jr and a stand-alone collet resizer and save big bucks over a Grabber. I like to reload Rem Gun Clubs, then size them afterwards. Absolutely ZERO issues through my SuperX2 auto!

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

The very shortest version is: re-sized is re-sized.

I prefer an old Lachmiller to re-size and decap at the same time. MEC made one, too.

If all you are wanting to do is re-size, you can find an old MEC Jnr for about nothing, it will do everything you need to do - ver. the 'Supersizer' which is both awkward and expensive.

If you want a complete reloader, go Grabber and don't look back.

Bob

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

A collet can be adjusted. A sleeve type sizer is dependent on the tempered ring threaded on to the bottom. If it is worn, you will be oversize and the only way to fix it is get a new ring.

HM

5. wm rike

wm rike Member

The ring type sizer (600 jr.) can push the brass in the head down so that you end up with excess brass in the rim area and thereby an oversized rim. Usually the degree of this deformation is minute and of little consequence. Some guns, however, have a narrow (not shallow) rim cut; the oversized rims will chamber easily enough, levered in by closing the gun, but they may not eject. Similarly, such shells may not cycle reliably from magazine tubes.

I'm not the No. 1 MEC fan, but the Grabber's collet sizer can't be beat.

6. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

and that's why everybody (except: PW, RCBS, SPOLAR, Dillon, Lee, Hornady) uses collet re-sizing, yes?

A properly adjusted ring-sizer (meaning there is a nickle space between plate and ring) will not cause run-out and deformed rims.

Bob

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Well, Bob, Mec had ring type too. It would be cheaper for them to have kept it.

I would think they have a copyright on the collet, Or you would see them on other brands.

HM

8. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Harry, I have no idea why any company does what they do when introducing something new & improved.

I have no idea if the collet is patented or not, but I doubt it.

Still ... re-sized IS re-sized - it's not a religious test.

I've used MECs of all flavors, and they all are OK, and if they are PROPERLY clean, adjusted and lubricated, some steel-base hulls profit from being colleted.

I run all my hulls through an old Lachmiller before they get near the reloading bench, and some don't make it and get chunked ... just like through a MEC, of either re-sizing program.

Bob

9. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

valmet, to answer your question directly ... and sorry I didn't earlier.

Some chambers don't like some hulls. Some high-end SBT guns just don't like steel-bases.

Generally, if your re-sizing operation is properly adjusted, almost all guns (certainly including autos & pumps) will digest about any fodder as long as you have a taper-crimp on the business-end.

Bob

10. missemucho

missemucho Member

Since 99.9% of my reloads are going back through my XT I just use the 600jr to knock out the primer and save the trauma of resizing. Even the steel headed hulls haven't caused any problems so far.

If course I'm doing this because I'm lazy and sloppy and kept breaking the collet on my Sizemaster!
    John

11. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I have one of the MEC stand alone ring resizers,

I got tired of clearing shot out of the collet on a grabber,

also every now and again I want to resize HIGH brass hulls,

the collet only sizes about half the brass on those, leaves a weird ring, up top on the brass.

My loads work for me.

All that matters

Al

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.