1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Resize hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by KENENT1, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

What is the correct size for hulls to be resized to?? (base)

tony

2. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

Mash on the link. It just may help.........Roger

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The easy answer for your own supply of ammo is just enough so that it will fit nicely in your smallest chamber. If you never shoot anything but factory shells and those fired in your gun/chamber, probably no need to re-size at all.....Bob Dodd

4. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

MEC recommends .806"-.808", no smaller. They recommend that you do not try to resize to factory dimensions; hulls at their specs should fit any gun.

Carol Lister

5. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

the problem is I have 1000 reloads, and a new barrel, the new chamber is .813 the same as my o/u barrels, but the hulls are sticking.

My spolar is resizing to .8095, there is no adjustment there, they are fixed dies.

I thought about polishing the chamber slightly...but I really don't want to do this, maybe the chamber will wear in a little.....

Anybody have suggestions??

tony

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

They should not be sticking.

See if you have a groove, step or machining marks in the chamber.

Polishing is OK if you do not go crazy with it.

Don Verna

7. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I was thinking OOOO steel wool on a brass brush to polish the chamber, using a cordless drill.

tony

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I had the same problem a few years ago. I had a bunch of shells that wouldn't fit into new gun. I just used a Mec super sizer to resize the loaoded shells. No more problems.

ec90t

9. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

ec90t:

Resizing a shell is something one does BEFORE reloading it. Resizing a shell AFTER it has been loaded is something MEC and other industry sources consider a dangerous and foolhardy thing to do.

sissy

10. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I could resize the loaded shells, but everything I load from now on will also be sticky........it may loosen up after a few hundred shells.

tony

11. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Recoil Sissy,

What is so dangerous? I was just tighneing up the head a bit, maybe 2 or 3 thou, so that the shell would fit into the gun.

No chance of primer ignition because of the hole in the center of the supersizer.

I didn't reshape the area or amount of powder in the shell. Way to low to put the squeeze on the base of the wad.

I'd never do this to a metalic cartridge, but can see no harm on a shotshell.

ec90t

12. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

I always put a "little squeeze" on my reloaded cheapo hulls, as their flimsy steel bases have a tendency to hang up once in a while. Sometimes I'll do a bunch prior to reloading if I'm bored. I see no issues with this practice.

AndyH ;-)

13. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

I have a MEC 650. I reload all Remington hulls . I shoot an SKB unsingle/BT 100/and SKB topsingle (GC7). Don't Re-size...and don't see the problem. I reload GUN CLUBS also.NO PROBLEM. Unless you have an auto/pump gun....don't worry about it. I've shot 10,000 reloads with NO problem. My only problem was when the primer feed tube "nicked" the brass/steel.

14. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

ec90t:

Some loaders think it is ok to mix different powders and load it. Others think indiscriminant substitution of wads, or primers, or hulls is acceptable. You think it 'should' be safe to resize loaded shells.

No disrespect but I'm more interested in the opinion of industry professionals. Such things are THEIR area of expertise. They think every item listed in the first paragraph, including resizing loaded shells, is a BAD idea. However, if you choose to resize loaded shells at your house, it's ok with me. I won't be near enough to notice if your reasoning is faulty and something exciting happens.

For those who ignore safe loading protocols and have never experienced a problem, I would simply point out the following:

It is entirely possible to cross railroad tracks with one's eyes closed. A person can do it every day and will never have a problem except for the very last time...

sissy

edited addition:

flincher, you're apparently confused. It was me pointing out to ec90t that Mec suggests NOT resizing loaded shells.

15. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I would take a good look at the chamber on the new barrel. If it is rough at the back end, a little polishing would be fine. Something fine like Crocus Cloth would probably do. The sizes of the shells should be OK for a barrel that is .0035" larger. I'm assuming it is a difficult extraction that you are experiencing, If they are sticking going in, it's a different situation. As for resizing, you can always try to resize your empty hulls with a Mec sizer BEFORE loading them in the Spolar. The steel hulls can sometimes be a problem unless they are sized properly, but it sounds like the Spolar is doing the trick. I have always used .810" as the maximum desired size for a the head of a loaded shell. I usually go for .808" when setting up my Mecs.

16. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

I size many loaded shells . They also tell you not to drop shells. I KNOW no one has dropped any. You could drop one on the floor and it hit the primer on a steel shot in the floor and make you a woman. so dont drop any shells. I would take a Scotch Brite pad and drill and polish the chamber. It cures 870s

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.