1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Resize hulls everytime you reload? ...or not?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by StansCustoms, Jul 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

I'm currently reloading with a set of Mec 650's...each with a separate hull conditioner. I have been resizing the hulls and punching out the primers with a Mec Hull Conditioner as a separate operation from the loader.

The loader can punch the primers out during the reloading sequence...but can't resize without adding a part and resizing separately from the reloading sequence. (Hence the need for separate resizing tool..)

This requires double the pulling time on the 'ole shoulder.

I have been told that resizing the hulls everytime is not necessary if you shoot them in the same gun every time. I shoot all Browning o/u's in Skeet and Trap....and the same gun for each sport and class each time.

Do I need to continue resizing my hulls "every" time?? ...once in a while? ...or other?

Thanks...Stan

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Yes, You should!!! You may break a ejector if you get them stuck in your gun, or you may loose targets due to thinking of your shells instead of thinking of the targets. Good Luck and break em all Jeff

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Shot in the same gun, means shot in the same barrel of the same gun. Resize them and you will avoid problems. HMB

4. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I have Mec 9000 hydro's with the sizing collet adjusting ring backed off to not size. All my shells that I reload were originally shot from my guns when new, and I never had a problem. If you start picking shells up or acquiring them from people who had worn chambers in their guns is where they must be resized.

5. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Like in rifle reloading, resizing has not been an issue, nor recommended, so long as you're shooting them in the same chamber. I'd try skipping that step, and see how it works out. I use a P/W loader so have no option, as the full length dies resize as part of the run. My reloads just "fall" into the chamber.

best...mike

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I resize on a MEC Super-Sizer before running hulls through my PWs

One of my older guns has a .811" chamber and my favorite has an .809" chamber. I resize hulls to .806" so I don't have to force them into the sizing dies of the PWs. At .806" they just consistently slip in which speeds up loading and makes powder drops more consistent.

When I reload STS, N27 and AA hulls, the resizing is my opportunity to check the hulls walls for burns and splits.

Keller

7. Erik W

Erik W Member

All my presses for all gauges resize automatically. I have never seen any reason not let them continue to do so: never scraped a hull because it was resized too often. I shoot a variety of guns, SxS, O/U and auto, plus I can't resist picking up a once fired AA shot from an unknown gun.

8. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have four MEC Sizemaster single stage loaders that I use to deprime and size all my hulls before I load them on my P/W 800 Plus. I started this habit when I loaded a lot of promo hulls which I shot in my Beretta 390 for Sporting Clays. It was the only way that I could be sure they would function in the Beretta auto.

I soon realized that sizing the case head made insertion/removal from the P/W full length shell holders a lot easier. Depriming the hulls before putting them on the 800 Plus eliminates debris and the occasional errant primer from the primer feeder.

Jim Skeel
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

9. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

New Remington premiers, and nitro 27's measure .801 New Winchester AA and Federal paper are .802 and when shot in my Perazzi .814 chamber will spring back to .808 after expanding to chamber size. Thats why I back off on sizing, they come off my press the same size as they go in.

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

What Toolmaker 251 say's. as long as your not dumpster diving steel hull cases, you shouldn't ever have an issue not resizing...

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I shot shells from a 650 for a long time. In the same gun, I would resize only after about 5 or more reloads from that batch of cases.

I had a Case conditioner for that purpose rather than the dog and pony "change parts" with the 650.

HM

12. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I had trouble with once fired STS hulls I purchased and didn't resize. Once I sized them, they worked fine in my old 870 without ever sizing them again. I had to keep the once fired separate and run them through the sizer on my Jr. Then they were ok. I only reload real brass.

13. C-Money

C-Money Member

I resize all mine.

14. schneep

schneep Member

LEARNED THE Hard way, RESIZE EVERYTIME

15. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

Well it looks like some do and some don't every time.

I might add that I resize all hulls the first time I reload them...and that is the hulls I'm speaking about. Not hulls that I haven't loaded previously..

I had heard that once they have been resized, especially when used in the same break open gun...that every once in a while is plenty. I was hoping that would be the general consensus...since it is a "lot" of extra work to resize every hull as a separate operation...and then reload them. It takes the same arm/shoulder effort to do each operation..or twice as much as with machines that resize as they reload. Shucks...a Spolar would be nice right about now..LOL!

Thanks everyone and best regards..Stan..

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Just adding another operation to the reloading process, what does that get you? That's what progressive reloaders are all about------cutting the process down to the minimum hand operations. I've never had to resize a premium hull as a separate operation. But, if one uses junk shells from the trash can, perhaps it would be wise to presize....

17. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Resize. Regards, Ed

18. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Only if you shoot a semi-auto...

19. schneep

schneep Member

Not all MECs resize during reloading, on an older 650 it is a seperate operation
    I have that model and a MEC SuperSizer and for me it is not bothersome, plus it gives me one more chance to inspect my hulls.

20. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"Just adding another operation to the reloading process, what does that get you?... I've never had to resize a premium hull as a separate operation."</I></blockquote>Hey...I congratulate you on your good fortune and deep wallet. If you don't need and/or want to do it, fine. Me, I'd rather do the extra step than try to stuff several hundred .811" hulls into .806" resizing dies. Besides, I don't hang out in bars or hold down a recliner in front of a TV at night so it gives me something a bit more productive to do.

Keller

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

do i need to resize my brass every time when using in the same gun

hull resizing not good

hull resizing on a mec 650

mec hull conditioner