1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

???Residential Generators

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by kenf, Feb 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenf

kenf Active Member

Just wondering how many of you out there have a residential generator, either a portable type, or a fixed unit. How many watts is it rated for, after having it, would you have gone in a different direction (portable vs. stationary) and what do you normally run on it, and does it run okay with the demand you put on it?

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

If you can afford it, get a standby one for Nat Gas or Propane. If you can't, get a transfer panel installed and use a portable.

Unless the home is tiny, you probably can't go too big so again depends on budget. But given the size of the investment, just go bigger so you don't into a problem where it is overloaded.

3. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I have a neighbor that has a standby generator powered by a little John Deere 6 cyl. diesel. The other night we were over there and he fired it up and switched everything in his 4600 sq. ft. house over to it. He does everything on the overkill side and I believe that gen set would power his house and my house as well. I have been considering a propane gas powered one but now am looking at solar power.

4. locdoc

locdoc Member

MDMike,

What type of storage are they reccommending for solar now ?

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

5. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

I have an older Generac whole house that runs on my propane but I have heard that Kolar makes the best nowadays. A little overkill is good when buying a generator, I appreciate mine a bunch.
    CM

6. ctreay

ctreay Member

I have an 8000 watt portable unit with a 12hp briggs on it. It will run the furnace, the water pump, hot water heater(oil fired), the fridge and enough lights to get by on, We used it a few times and it has kept out butts warm and that is what matters the most.

ctreay

7. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

vpr80's answer is right on.

I have a well, and my standby propane generator provides immense peace of mind.

8. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

We have a 27 KW pto generator that hooks to one of our tractors, it will run the whole place, plus it's handy if we need power out on the farm somewhere, and we always have about 1000 gallons of diesel on hand

But one thing to keep in mind, if you lose power for a week or ten days, if the genset is too big, it will really suck down the fuel, just to run pulling a minimal load, in our case it's not real efficient to run a 60 hp ( usually bigger) tractor to pull a furnace, TV refrigerator etc just for the house, but it's nice to be able to run the whole farm off of it

In 2001 we lost power for 11 days, I had an old 6 kw with a solid cast iron B&S, and during that outage we went though about 110 gallons of gas, the genset will be of no use if you run out of fuel, and remember, when you are without electricity so is the gas station so you can't get anymore gas

I wish we had natural gas, if we did that would be the way to go, pretty much an unlimited supply

9. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I have a portable 8750 watt generator. It works fine for what I need it for. I have never had the power out for more than four hours though. I am on top of a sandy hill so the sump pump never runs in the basement no matter how hard it rains. That would be my only concern to go with the stationary automatic back up.

10. twotimer

twotimer Member

We have a 20 kw generac that runs on propane. It runs everything in the house and gives us great peace of mind. Mike

11. Gunn

Gunn TS Member

I have a 5000 portable. It runs the frig, couple of lamps and the CPAP. We have a woodstove for heat and can cook on it. Tim

12. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

If you have gas heat PM me your phone number and I will tell you what I did. Ray

13. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

20KW that runs on natural gas; takes care of everything including two central airconditioning.

14. m12superx1

m12superx1 Member

We have a 17k natural gas made by Generac. It kicks on within 30 seconds of a power failure, exercises itself every seven days, and runs most of my house. It powers 15 circuts here, including my 3 ton air unit. Relatively easy to install, and cost about 3600.00 for the unit alone. The peace of mind it provides has no price.

15. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I have a 6500 watt portable that I use to keep fridge and freezer going. If hot we move in to the motorhome. Did that last hurricane. If we leave for extended times we double bag anything that will spoil. Kinda a hassle but cleaning out a stinky fridge or freezer is da pitts! Jake

16. andybull

andybull Active Member

I have a 45 KW Onan with a 250 amp transfer switch.

17. likemybrownings

likemybrownings Active Member

Hey all,
    I am factory authourized sales and service, Generac Select dealer. If anyone is looking towards a whole house standby unit don't go less than the 10K with whole house Xfer. Dave B

18. Danny B

Danny B TS Member

Installed October 2011...basically the same operation as stated by..Mdl2superx1.. unit will take 10 seconds after a failure and supply's the power. Very pleased with the unit, the installation and the fuel is propane.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. djldb6

djldb6 Member

We have had a 17kW Generac whole house with automatic cross over switch box for 4 years, natural gas powered. We lose our power often in the summer and it has been invaluable many times over. It runs pretty much everything and has kept the house dry and cool in the summer and warm in the winter. I will never own another house without a whole house backup.

Dan

20. djldb6

djldb6 Member

We have had a 17kW Generac whole house with automatic cross over switch box for 4 years, natural gas powered. We lose our power often in the summer and it has been invaluable many times over. It runs pretty much everything and has kept the house dry and cool in the summer and warm in the winter. I will never own another house without a whole house backup.

Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how much propane does it take to run a whole house generator for a day