1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Resetting a Trap???????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MX-15L, Jun 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MX-15L

MX-15L TS Member

This will be really simple. Can a squad request a Trap to be reset, after the squad has shot five(5) targets? Thank you.

JoeZ

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Yes, anytime the targets become illegal the squad can request the trap be reset ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

If it is a registered shoot You DO NOT reset traps at the whim of the squad. You DO reset to correct illegal targets.

Just my 2 pennies

--- Chip King ---

4. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Shooters can request a trap reset at any time, for any reason.

Shoot management has absolute final say on whether or not to grant the request.

5. Just-A-Shooter

Just-A-Shooter Member

MTATom is correct. I have never seen shoot management refuse to make an adjustment. Usually the mechanic just tweaks the setting and moves on. No big deal.

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

What about asking club management to raise targets (that are) within the legally set parameters of 8 to 10 foot targets 10 yards out? Is it legal for club management to grant such requests?

Hap

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

You can ask anytime you like!!! If your in a ATA shoot most will not reset the traps after shooting has begun. This way everyone shoots the same targets at the same fields. If club changes targets for one squad (right or wrong) you can bet that some of the shooters that have already shot that field will want to file a protest for unfair advanage. If seen it happen. Bottom line is it, up to the club management as the club knows its shooters and members better than anyone else, so they will try their best to make as many happy as possible under all conditions on any given day. I find it helpful to shoot at all targets in all conditions as you just never know what the targets will be like on your next state,zone,grand or whatever you call your biggest shoot/ or shoots of the year. Shoot-em all. Jeff

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Hmmm!! Learned something new today. I was under the impression once you had started shooting the round, that the targets could only be reset if they had become illegal. I will make a note of that in my mind. Thanks.

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Sometimes it depends who is on the squad. HMB

10. missed some

missed some TS Member

all a club has to sell is targets, throw shitty targets and guess how many they sell?? Wind can change targets in a matter of seconds, it only takes a couple of minutes to re-set a trap, this isn't messing with the spring, just a notch or two up and down. clubs that refuse to do this are run by people who don't shoot.Throw good targets=sell more targets.Shooters are your customers, piss em off and see how many come back...........common sense.

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

MX-15L,

They can request it at anytime, what you are talking about is the way it used to be many moons ago ... Now, you or anyone on the squad can ask for the targets to be reset and its up to management if they choose to do so or not unless they become Illegal, then they usually get reset if you request it, if you don't why would they care if your shooting illegal targets ..? Its all in the rule book, read it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

I'm very glad I don't shoot where "Mark and Pull" shoots, what a bunch of dicks running those clubs. The idea is to throw legal targets. If the weather changes, or the pat traps warm up, or the targets were improperly set in the first place,the management should be happy to adjust. To set in one condition and demand shooters shoot illegal targets would have me never return. Besides that policy is against ATA rules! The fairest policy is to let every shooter shoot legal targets. Bruce

13. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

well now it basically depends on just 1)who you are 2)how accommodating shoot management is, best advice is to shoot on a squad immediately after the big dogs run through, they have the connections needed to get traps right, otherwise good luck! but don't count on any changes, they might even go and say they did when they didn't.

14. 6t6stang

6t6stang Member

This weekend at an ATA event, after each squad member had shot their first five, we decided the targets were a bit low and asked for an adjustment. We were told that once the round started, they could not make any changes or adjustments to the throw.
    Mike.

15. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

I'm coming up on 100K registered target shot over the past 9 target years, I can't remember one time that me/my squad was ever turned down for a trap reset. It's not been my experience that my squad of little dogs is treated any differently than the big dog squads. I've also been on squads that requested a reset mid-trap and never had a problem with that either.

I will say that generally if the targets are legal I don't ask for a reset, even though they might not be my most favorite presentation. But if they are too low or too high then we'll ask to have them reset.

Scott

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Mike, whoever told you that didn't know what he was runnin his pie hole about when it comes to illegally low or high targets!

I'm surprised at how many shooters that do not know the games rules!!

Twinbirds, I know of a several top shooters that love super high targets! Unless your accustomed to shooting illegally high targets and have your gun set for such, it's not advisable to follow those guys!!

Hap

17. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

FWIW, I like to squad to take the field right behind the trap-setters. 1-1 will do quite nicely, thank you.

John C. Saubak

18. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I like the way my buddy asks about the targets. He will ask the target setter to check the targets to see if they are legal. If they are still legal we shoot them. When we set targets we do our best at our club to throw legal targets all the time.

Personally, I believe if the the targets are still legal even though there might be a little weather change with the wind , you shoot them.

Charlie

19. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

It burns me a bit when the club busts its but to make sure the targets are legal by using the radar and the stake and then I see them being reajusted by "eye"

If it needs re-set it needs to be done by the radar and stake not to the satisfaction of some shooters eye

20. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

to stir the pot a bit;

There can be a BIG difference between "good" and merely "legal" targets.

John C. Saubak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.