1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reserves on Auctions

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tonygrz, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonygrz

tonygrz TS Member

I've bought several guns from Gunbroker and Auction arms. I've also bought two guns from members of this forum. In the auction websites, why do sellers put reserves on their guns?? If you need a certain price, start there. Why make buyers guess what the reserve is. And then wait for 10 days to find out that the reserve was not met. BS !!!

I've purchased two guns from members of this forum and both transactions were very pleasant. The buyer stated what he/she wanted for the gun and I was willing to give that price. Now, I will not even look nor bid on auctions with reserves.

Your opinions ?????????

Tony G (texas)

2. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

I like doing it like you said also I don't want to play a cat and mouse game when im wanting to buy something I guess that is why I won't buy off E-Bay unless there is something that I can't find somewhere else and then I will find the buy it now products to buy instead of bidding.

Fog

3. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

There are some sellers who staunchly believe that hype can drive some bidders above what they would normally pay - - - I don't get that either - - - but that is why they will start ridiculously low .

Charlie

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Just bid your price if its not enough move on, Ive seen most guns on auction sites are now just new gun dealers.

5. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Its because they want you to get in a bidding war with someone and a feeding frenzy in hope to make more on the gun.I agree with you that if they want this much they should start there. I will email the seller when there is a reserve and ask them what it is. Once the reserve price is met the site will say reserve met.

6. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Exactly! What Gargoyle said.

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I just went through that with a car, the guy said he wasn't sure he even wanted to sell it but if the bid got high enough that it would change his mind ... I told the guy to give me his "Buy it now" price and he said he didn't have one and his buddy Wendel said to let the auction run its course and see what it brings ... I have had this happen with guns also, I just bid what I am willing to pay and move on ... I bought another car and the guy called back that didn't know if he wanted to sell his car and I told him the one I bought was in a transporter on its way to Arizona ... I told him to sell it to Wendel and have a nice day, he then told me Wendel couldn't afford the car and that he don't have much money ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The auction sites are becoming more useless by the day.

I usually select the method of listing with highest number of bids first. Sometimes out of a couple hundred in the category there are only 10-15 that even have bids on them.

Seems like they should rename the site to "fishing for suckers".

HM

9. tonygrz

tonygrz TS Member

I think I'll just stick with the people on this forum for my gun buying needs. From my personal experience and the prices of most of the guns for sale on this forum, the prices are very reasonable and I've gotten to trust you all. When I "need" a different gun or pistol, I'll just post a "WTB" ad.

thanks for your replies,

Tony G. (texas)

10. bgf

bgf Active Member

The reason for a reserve bid is simple...the seller is not sure what the item is worth or what it will sell for. He gets feedback on the auction via no bids or low bids. Then he can decide if he wants to sell or not.

I do not agree with this type of auction but will check out the buy it now listings. I have always used the basic style and start out at a price that is the lowest that I will take.

Bernie

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

There are times when a client has unreasonable expectations of what his consigned firearm should sell for. Under those circumstances I am forced to use his reserve price and look for a sucker. I usually believe the market determines the actual value-not the seller!!

12. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Reserves are usually meant for the seller to accept or decline an offer or buyer, and to allow the item to be withdrawn from auction at any time before a certain price is met. A bid not meeting a reserve is still a bid, and allows the seller to check a buyer's credentials and possibly come down in price if the bid is reasonable.

What does it matter to you if someone has a hidden reserve? Bid your price and walk away if you don't meet it, or E-mail the seller, ask the reserve, or make a reasonable offer.

It's hard to know who you are really dealing with online. Could be a real nice person just trying not to be ripped off the same as you, or you could end up with a transaction like the one's with Al Demarco. Always good to ask lots of questions and get references. If a dealer is vague, or treats you like a pest, find someone else.

Reserves are not that big a deal. JMHO

13. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

I have bought a lot more off of here than gunbroker but I have managed to get two guns from there. One was my super x that I had been watching for a month and a half getting close to the reserve but not quite there, I emailed him and asked if he would take x amount of dollars if it did not sell this time, he agreed and it's now mine. I just bid what I think I would pay and that is that. If I get it I get it and if I don't I don't. I agree though, the reserve thing should be done away with. I just start mine at what I want out of it and everything else is just gravy and if it gets even one bid, I got what I wanted out of it. John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.