1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

resale value of altered barrels

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by nutty1, Feb 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nutty1

nutty1 TS Member

i'm thinking of having a set of barrels worked on [perazzi mx 14 o/u ] by a well known barrelsmith and i keep hearing that they will lose there re-sale value as everyone wants original or un altered bbls any truth to this what is your opinion thanks steve

2. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Will you void your Perazzi warrenty by performing non-factory work? Krieghoff says yes. Dave

3. nutty1

nutty1 TS Member

dave. i bought the bbls used 32'' mx 14 for my mx2000 unsingle as my doubles bbls 725 bore 15 and 30 choked and am thinking of going 740 or? steve

4. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Are you going to look at it or are you going to shoot it. DO IT.

Ed Yanchok

5. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I had Tom Wilkinson put his choke tubes in my Silver Seitz but I made him stamp it Wilkinson and I,m keeping the papers . Do I think it is worth more with Wilkinson tubes not really . If you have anyone do barrel work have it done by one of the better barrel guys and get a stamp on the barrel .

KEYBEAR

6. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Factory, unaltered barrels only for me. I got stung on a older BT99 years ago. I could not figure out why it had such a loose pattern for a full choke. Finally had it measured and it appears someone performed a "jugg choke" ream on the gun (I believe that was the term). The barrel was "opened" about 4-5inches from the end and somehow it distorted the ability to pattern correctly. I tried every shot size, light/heavy loads, it impossible to smoke a target at anything past 21 years. BTW, does anyone know what a jugg choke is designed to accomplish? Sure can't be dense patterns.

7. nutty1

nutty1 TS Member

thanks mike these bbls came from the factory w/ no side ribs think i can go 740 steve

8. antique

antique TS Member

If Tommy or Eyster does the work you will enhance the price. Jim Burk

9. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

As already mentioned above. As long as it is a named smith and you keep your paperwork and have the barrel stamped you will be fine. I would buy barrels that are reworked in a heartbeat as long as the facts are in evidence. Tom Seitz lived just up the road in Salem Oregon and I will guarantee you that Tom would have to have worked several life times to produce all the barrels floating around out there that people say he worked. Get them marked and keep the paperwork and you will be just fine.Jeff

10. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I doubt Giacomo would avoid doing warranty work on a set of P barrels yet in the one year warranty. In fact, what could possibly go wrong in a warranty period.

I've NEVER heard of anything that would void work unless you back-bored them and then proceeded to blow them up. How often does this happen? 1 in a million.

WW

11. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

nutty1, I have a slightly different take. Firstly, if your barrels perform well I wouln't touch them. Also, I surely would not give them to a smith and say go to .740. That is a lot to take out of those barrels, especially if they are light to start with.

My last gun was a used Perazzi MX-15 with a 34" barrel and chokes. The original barrel was stamped 1.82kg and came with type 4 chokes. Bore dia was .724. A previous owner sent the barrel to Wilkinson for bore work and porting. Bore came back at .740 with three of the chokes worked. That was the a very even patterning barrel, and the softest shooting I ever had. The only problem was the barrel wall was so thin the POI would change when the barrel heated up. After 12 -15 shots on a fast squad I'd have to adjust aim for smoke. Once it moved it seemed to stay there for the rest of the event.

I've shot several other Wilkenson tuned barrels that started life as 1.86kg fixed choke barrels and they did not exhibit the same problem. Recoil was universally softer than 18.7 bore standard barrels.

So, if there is a problem with your barrels I'd send them to Eyster or Wilkinson or Allor (or Skeets if he is still doing that work) and have them stamp the barrel. Then keep the papers. If you later wanted to sell those fixed choke barrels to me, I would not consider it a negative. In fact, it would be a slight positive, because I'd know there are not going to be any barrel, forcing cone, choke, patterning problems. If they were factory barrels, I'd insist on a trial period so I could go out and shoot them for POI and pattern. Would I pay more for them because you had the work done? Probably not. But it would make me more inclined to consider them in the first place.

12. guncase

guncase TS Member

I gotta ask,,,MEANING ABSOLUTLY NO DISRESPECT AT ALL. Why is a barrel that has been bacobored by Wilkinson any better than if it had been backbored be anyone else?????? I mean,, it is just the process of removing metal to reach the desired bore,, right?? Does he have some "magic" that he applies???
    I am not trying to disagree with him,, just want to know,, "why is Wilkinson the man,, and what makes him that"??? Paul

13. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I don't care who the barrelsmith is that performs the work, the proof is in it giving you what you request. I have shot Eyster's work as well as Wilkinson's, and a few lesser known as well. They that were done correctly,gave me the patterns I expected. Are you buying it for resale or your use? Do as you wish with your barrels, I'm sure you won't regret it. I've even had a BT99 barrel that everyone gave up on because it was reamed off center. I sent it off to Briley who straightened it out and installed a set of his tubes and the shooter couldn't have been happier with the end result. He's been breaking targets with it for over ten years since.

Big Jack

14. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

guncase, Wilkinson, Allor, Eyster and Skeets change the taper and profile of the forcing cone and choke to change the distribution of shot in the pattern. Each has their own pet profile. Wilkinson removes metal from the barrel (backbore) because that's the only way he can get the choke profile he wants. Allor works on the forcing cone and choke areas, and in the process scuffs up the bore, so he has to polish it out. Nobody takes any more metal out than necessary.

The reason their work is so highly regarded is they don't ruin barrels and they test their work (not sure about Skeets). Briley does nice machining work, but they don't tune and they don't test. Can they improve an already good barrel? Many think so. Can they make a shooter out of a bad barrel? Absolutely.

15. guncase

guncase TS Member

I think that you have defined the reason people use a particular barrel guy.
    it is that you agree with the WAY the change What they do.

To recut the forcing cone to match the bore is essential,, and I'm sure that all the names do this. The choke HAS to be recut to match the customers wish. I just want to know what they do that I can't????

16. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Paul, You won't get the answer you're looking for, it's a secret don't cha know... magic stuff only done when the moon is full.

17. southpark

southpark TS Member

MX8-B gave you the straight poop.

Unless you have an inexperienced buyer or someone looking for just exactly what you've done, stock gets top dollar.

Having the privelege to bum around a lot of All-Americans, there are only three barrel smiths I have heard are the balls, or at least won't lower the value below stock, as others would.

The three names are the ones zzt mentioned: Wilkenson, Eyster, and Kerry Allor.

If your "well known" barrelsmith is not one of those three guys, you will likely not get as much on resale as if the barrel were stock.

Also, if you want choke tubes done right, have Briley thread your barrels though everyone seems to love Wilkensons new chokes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.