1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Requirements for a full auto lisence

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mnjim, Oct 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mnjim

mnjim TS Member

Help folks, What do you have to have to do to get a full auto and a 50 cal permit. We have a problem at our club as to what is required. I understand that it's for police and military only. I could care less, but some of the guys want to know. Thanks much. MnJim

2. Baber

Baber TS Member

Go to the ATF website and look at Class 3 requirements. Its not difficult to buy a full Auto. Its tidious and time consuming. I was unaware that there is any problem with 50 Cal like a Barrett.

TB

3. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Never heard of .50 cal restrictions. One of my hunting buddies has a .50cal weapon and I know for a fact he has no special permits for it.

4. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Didn't California just ban .50cal. recently?

5. Whiz Bang

Whiz Bang TS Member

MnJim I assume you are a Minnesota resident. In Minnesota there is no license requirement. The weapons must be C&R rated. You must be able to pass a B.A.T.F. back round check. Once you buy a gun you fill out a ATF form four send in $200.00 transfer fee along with Two mug shots and Two sets of finger print cards. The wait can be up to 90 days for approval. If you have a clean record you should pass. Also you must be a U.S. citizen. If you pass the back round then you can take possession of the weapon.

I have owned and sold various Full auto's and currently own a 1928 Thompson sub machine gun and a full auto AR 18 assault rifle. I also have a C&R license. Hope this helps.

6. mnjim

mnjim TS Member

Thanks much Whiz, just what I was looking for, Thanks to the rest of you as well. MnJim

7. mnjim

mnjim TS Member

Whiz, another question please, say you live in Nebreska, I'm from Mn, I come down to your place, could I shoot your Tommy legally as aguest ? Thanks MnJim

8. Whiz Bang

Whiz Bang TS Member

MnJim the answer to your question is yes. All NFA rules apply. Example no one with a criminal record or felony could or would ever come close to holding or firing any of my weapons or any body else.

I live in south east Minnesota. From time to time I get the urge to air out my guns. Your welcome to come down and run out a magazine. I don't fire the Thompson much because it is in pristine original finish. Don't want to put any wear on it.

This spring some off my collector friends will have a full auto shoot in the Rochester area. They will have a selection of over 12 full autos to pick from. Thompson's to MG 42's. If interested I will let you know the date.

VF 126 The reason I state C&R rated weapons is I live in Minnesota. Only C&R rated guns are legal in Minnesota. Some states allow more modern weapons.

9. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Here's some info on the NFA act, Jim. Phil E

10. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

I would add that if you're interested in purchasing your very own buzzgun, the waiting period to pass the ATF background check has been considerably reduced under "Dubyah's" Executive Branch. The offices of the NFA section of ATF have been relocated from D.C. out into Western Virginny, and with the change in locale, they now seem to employ a better, less bureaucratic quality of employee. A more business-like, "get the job done" type of people, as opposed to "stick it in my box and I'll get around to it" like they used to be.

My first Class III item, purchased in the bad old days of Clinton and his D.C.-native ATF employees, took 7 months to get approved. What used to take 4~7 months is now in some cases getting done in a month.

That plus the new composition of the Supreme Court was worth the price of my vote for Bush!

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

As a former Title II dealer before the '86 cutoff, I would suggest you make SURE you want one. They are very expensive to own, expensive to shoot, a PITA to clean, and require special paperwork to take over a state line for a shoot, or to send out for repair. You may be rousted by law enforcement who are not familiar with their state's NFA laws.

A nice Federal agent may come to your home at any time and want to see your firearm, paperwork and the secure storage for it. Many ranges do not allow full autos, and clean up after a day's shooting is a chore.

Get one in a pistol caliber, preferabbly 9X19, for shooting ease and ammo cost.

Most rifle caliber full autos are uncontrollable. The 7.62 is a brute in a G-3 or M-14.

One of the easier Title II's to shoot is the MP-5. They are not cheap.

Best to find a range that rents burpguns and shoot one several times to make SURE you want one. The ammo bill might make you change your mind.

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    One of the most fun full autos is a select fire 10-22. Why? Because you can afford to feed it. It lacks the cool factor of a Thompson, but if actually shooting it is your bag, it makes the most sense.

13. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The full auto 22's are fun with a 50 round mag, but the MP-5 is a HOOT. The Thompson is cool, but is best fired full auto only.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.