1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Requirememts 4 your state trap team, r they fair?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Jul 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    First of all, anyone that knows me can certainly tell you that I am probably one of the worst shots, but I do love the game, as well as the history of trapshooting. I have the utmost respect for any shooter who has ever been voted to his or her all state trap team. To have this honor bestowed upon a shooter, is a great accomplishment, and they deserve all of our respect, as it takes an extreme amount of dedication and a high level of skill, which most of us can only dream of accomplishing.

The purpose of this thread is a conversation that I had with a former all state team member. He discussed the requirements that are needed to make his local state trap team.

One requirement that he mentioned was that a certain number of targets had to be shot in his own home state. He was neither for or against this requirement, but did indicate that this single requirement had sparked debate over the years.

So my question to you is, Does your home state require that a shooter in the running for your state trap team, have to shoot a certain number of home state targets, and or shoot certain home state shoots before they can possibly be considered to make your state trap team? If so, what are the reasons behind this rule? Do you agree with this rule? Should target requirements be lowered in hard economic times?
    Steve Balistreri

2. missed some

missed some TS Member

because it is a state team, why not shoot the targets in that state? In KS,only targets shot in ks count. You must shoot championship targets at a zone, or you can shoot the different targets at all three, meaning shoot the singles at central, the doubles at western, and handicap at eastern, or all 3 at one place. you have to shoot the championship targets at the state shoot also.Targets req. are 1500 singles, 1000 handicap, and 1000 doubles for men, ladies, and vet.Sr. vet is 1k singles, 1k handi, and 500 dbls. jr., and sub jr. are 1k, 500 and 500. mark crist

3. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Ohio requires you to shoot YOUR zone shoot 16s, Hdcp and doubles, that is not too much to ask is it?

Some shooters failed to do so, so they were omitted from the State Team.

Required to shoot the All around targets in the Ohio State Shoot I believe also
    which is only fair to be on the Ohio State Team.

If you don't compete in your state how could you be considered for the Ohio State Team.

If a shooter shot most of his targets in other states how could he qualify for that states team, Hell he could qualify for several state teams in numerous states.

Maybe an Ohioan on Michigan State Team, Indiana State Team, Kentucky State Team
    West Virginia State Team. That would not be fair, would it?

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

4. missed some

missed some TS Member

Also in KS special recognition will be given to any shooter awarded ATA All American honors provided they have not met all Ks state team requirements

5. senior smoke

After reading your comments, it appears and makes sense that to make your state trap team, a certain number of targets be shot in your own state. I have always heard that certain shooters attempt to fatten up their averages by shooting out west. I have never shot out west, so I don't really know if there is any validity to what some are saying about "fattening up their averages" by shooting out west or not.

The way I look at it, in my own state of Wisconsin, I feel that there are only about 20 shooters who truly have a realistic chance of making our state trap team. I am sure there are numerous other shooters who feel they are in the running to make the state team, but as I say, realistically about 20 maybe 25 at best, in my opinion.

Regardless, even if one feels he has a sincere chance of making their state team, this is a big accomplishment as you most likely are one heck of a trapshooter.

Steve

6. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

Requirement should be head to head, best 2 out of 3.

Harry

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Good question! Using only averages doesn't allow for much error in the north! I'd like to see more emphasis on overall performances at state zones and state shoots..

8. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

I can see why some travel is to be expected. There are clubs that shoot some very soft cushy targets and avgs would tend to be higher when shot from such a club. Shooting a club away from home state also helps to round out shooter experience. I don't have a problem with it either way. If state teams are based on shooter performance at state shoots, then some shooters with better avgs, may not make state team due to availability. Avgs are hard to beat day in day out, underdog could have a good day at the state and not have the avgs.

9. Donm

Donm Active Member

Steve the shooters that used to go out west to "fatten their averages" is the the reason Wi. went to a reqired number of instate targets. I believe I was one of the few that felt this changed was needed. We can still use those targets from out of state but I think we really do need minimums in state. We also have to shoot A zone shoots championship targets and the 400 championship targets at the state shoot.

I have be lucky enough to be on Wisconsins state team a few times and I think the reqirement are far. Like others have said. If you shoot your targets in a different state then let that state put you on their state team. When the rules were changed it was also done to try to promote shooting in our state. And I feel it has.

10. senior smoke

Don:
    I agree with you 100%. I think it was a good decision.
    Steve

11. senior smoke

Don:
    I agree with you 100%. I think it was a good decision.
    Steve

12. Texas Trap Shooter

Texas Trap Shooter Member

Texas utilizes the following guidelines:

To qualify for a state team a shooter must comply with the following:

1) Meet the state residency requirements as defined by the Amateur Trapshooting Association and be in good standing with the Amateur Trapshooting Association and the Texas Trapshooting Association.

2) Meet the minimum target requirements for the team.

Team Singles Handicap Doubles

Mens 2500 1500 1000

Ladies 1500 800 500

Veteran 2000 1000 800

Sr. Vet. 2000 1000 800

Junior 1500 800 500

Sub Jr. 1500 800 500

3) Compete in a minimum of two Texas Zone shoots and submit their scores for the 400 championship targets (singles, handicap, doubles) in each shoot selected. (A person may shoot all five zone shoots and select their best two zone shoot results if they so desire).

4) Compete in the Texas State Shoot and submit their scores for the 400 championship targets (singles, handicap, doubles).

5) File a state team application with the TTA 1st Vice President on or before December 31 of the year in which the targets were shot.

Team Eligibility Based on Age

All age-based categories in Texas will be the same as those defined by the Amateur Trapshooting Association.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.