1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

requesting recommendation on a starting trap gun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bob radasch, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob radasch

bob radasch Guest

I just recently was re-introduced to trap shooting and once again really enjoyed it- enough that I would like to look into getting a trap gun with the intent to shoot in our regional league. So now Im trying to decide what is a fairly good starting gun. I shot trap years ago with my dad. For the past 20 years I have primarily shot skeet and sporting clays. I have always been partial to Browning shotguns - and currently have a citori skeet, citori grade 4 skeet, and a citori SSB.

This last weekend I was shooting at the Helena Trap Club in Helena Montana. I visited with several other guys that had trap guns. They showed me - or at least what I thought was a Browning Trap gun that came with 2 sets of barrels. 1 set was a single trap barrel with a high vented rib, the other barrel was a O/U so you could shoot doubles. I thought they said the gun, 2 barrel set, case and invector tube set was around 4000-4500. I went to the Browning web site- all I could find was a BT-99 ( and several other modifications of the BT-99)

I would appreciate any insight on the browning BT-99 as well as if anyone knows more about the gun model I saw in Helena. I would also like any recommendations on the optimal barrel length( 32 or 34) as well as a good sorce to purchase a trap gun in the Helena Montana region

Thanks Bob R

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

something to look at.....

3. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

It could be the brownin xt combo or the browning cynergy combo pictured above. It all depends on how much you want to spend.

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

BigM's got your Browning pictured, known as a combination set = single barrel and over/under barrels on one receiver. This is a very popular design for trapshooting all games with just one gun but it's quite a bit more expensive than just an O/U which also can be used for all trap games and is also popular. Sounds like you could use another Browning in your collection just for trap, eh? The model pictured has what's known as an un-single barrel defined as the barrel being in the position of the under barrel of an O/U and with a tall rib. Many like this because they "see the bird quicker" without the barrel being in the top position. Others don't like this configuration and this suggests you should give both a try before decisions.

Barrel length has more to do with what works for the individual than there being an "optimal" length. Unfortunately most people buy what's more popular than trying several and deciding which works for them best. 'The most popular in the combos is the 34" single barrel and 32" O/U but remember that's generally because many of the Big Dogs have proclaimed that as best. Personally, for example, I shoot 30" O/Us well and have trouble getting the longer barrels to move quickly. I do, however, like the 34" singles.

the BT-99/BT-100 family of guns is also quite popular and can be had for a lot less than the Citori cobination set. It is only you that can decide what amount of money fits your wants and needs but you should be on a quest to shoot as many examples as you can get your hands on before deciding in the blind.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The XT and XT combo are very popular in the trap game. You can find very good uses but not abused guns for 60% of new MSRP prices. These are very durable guns that will serve you well. You will probably want the combo if you intend to shoot a lot of trap.

6. bob radasch

bob radasch Guest

thanks for the info

Bob R

7. bob radasch

bob radasch Guest

thanks for the info.

In your opinion the Browning BT-99 is a good gun also??? Its certiainly more modestly priced - to start out with at least.

Do you have any recommendations on places to purcahes either gun as in the Helena MT area gun shops dont carry these

Thanks once again
    Bob

8. bob radasch

bob radasch Guest

thanks for the info

Bob R

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Bob, the BT family has been around since somewhere around the mid 70s. They are what they are which is a fair priced and reasonable quality single shot target gun with several configurations regarding barrel lengths, number of barrels, metal finish, adjustable combs and such. Many are sworn by with skilled shooters but they will never handle doubles, both shots possible at wobble trap, and any other game that may permit two shots. Would you shoot skeet with a single barrel? Uh-uh! Could you use one of your already owned O/U guns at these games and shoot single bird trap games with a BT gun? Sure.

Once again, you must get to some good sized shoots and test drive some guns for sale and also check with folks at clubs you frequent since most trapshooters will permit you to shoot their gun if asked in a gentlemanly manner before even touching it.

Where? There are a number of tested and reliable sellers advertising on this forum, in Trap and Field, and many you can call for inquiries but I personally don't know of any specifics in Montana. Very good things have been said of Indiana Gun Cllub - http://www.indianagunclub.com/ - which apparently has many guns for sale in their pro-shop. My O/U was bought at a State Shoot in Washington after a test drive of a couple of boxes and it handles my trap doubles, skeet, sporting, wobble, and any other 2 shot game. My single barrel was bought from Joel Etchen in PA - http://www.joeletchenguns.com/ - by telephone and with payment it was shipped to me promptly, through an FFL, and with perfect honesty. There are many others and I'm sure you can get more local recommendations at your close clubs. Test drive - test drive - and then try some more; eventually one will stand out as the model you want.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

10. SMSGT

SMSGT TS Member

Guns Unlimited in Omaha has a good inventory of Browning XTs, BT-99, and XT Combos both in the top single & unsingle version. The XT Combos are made for and sold exclusively by Guns Unlimited. They range from around $3300 - $4000 new for a grade one depending on which model you want. I have a top single combo that I bought from them 4 years ago and really like it. I shoot it every week & have had no problems with it. Leroy

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

try try and try again. I really like the cynergy combo. have not a chance to shoot one yet. I tried all the guns I could get my hands on. The XTs all seemed to just work for me. so thatd what I bought. XT with americase and several choke tubes 1500.00 I cant complain, has been a great gun.

12. A201

A201 TS Member

The cinergy has a weak point that the citori doesn't share. Most dealers will not share this information and browning will not agree either. The ejector has a slight propensity to fly off the little bitty post it is tacked to in the Bbls. Mostly you will not recover it from the grass, makes for a bad day. The citori has no weaknesses except that use of chedite primers WILL cause lower Bbl. firing pin failure. Roger

13. Buddy O

Buddy O TS Member

Try a Beretta 682 for size.

14. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I just cleaned and oiled my first trap gun circa 1972,I have owned it since then. It's a Remington 1100 Trap gun and it has never failed in all these years and shoot soft and allow me to shoot doubles or singles.

15. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Ask a gunsmith about the ejectors on the cynergy's.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning combo made exclusively for guns unlimited