1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Requesting info on Gun Safes

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Buddy O, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buddy O

Buddy O TS Member

I'm in the market for a 45 to 50 cubic foot Gun Safe & would appreciate any wisdom any of you out there can share.
    Thanks in advance.

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

What ever you choose make sure its bolted down, make sure they cant carry it away.

3. capnrico

capnrico TS Member

Buy two and make sure they are both push-button combination locks.

4. Frenchy

Frenchy Member

Check out Fort Knox they have every size you need and you will ask the guy to tell you about there guarantee twice because you won't believe how good it is the first time he tells you.

5. Buddy O

Buddy O TS Member

Thanks for the advice. Will call Fort Knox on Monday.

6. Buddy O

Buddy O TS Member

Thanks, Frank.

7. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

Make sure the door is removable. Makes installing the safe alot easier when you can take the door off.

OB

8. Barry

Barry Member

I recently lost my home in the wildfire near San Diego. Nothing was left, no walls standing except my Liberty safe!

When I contacted Liberty about getting the safe open they sent there own guy here from I think Utah at their expense! This is an unusual outstanding American company That not only makes the best safes there is but stands behind them and cares!

Another Liberty when I get my house rebuilt is a no brainer!

9. Barry

Barry Member

My photo's didn't post to the above message.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c72/dedapr/FIRESTORM2007004.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c72/dedapr/mon007.jpg

10. MGeslock

MGeslock TS Member

The fire proofing is fire rated dry wall.

If you install it in a basement, put it up on wood blocks, just incase your sump pump fails. Water will come up through the mounting holes on the bottom. Water+Guns=Rust.

Then you can replace all of the expensive "fire proofing". The factoy just said go to Home Depot, thats what we use.....

Then you can see what your safe is really made out of....steel box, dry wall, carpet and a heavy door! Don't forget the official looking handle and cool sticker.

If you want a fireproof safe, get something cheap and add a layer of fire proof drywall. This kind if safe will only be effective for fire.

Not that this has ever happened to me......:)

Mark

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If transporting/installing is an issue, consider the Zanotti safes. The come knocked down, you can bring them in the building piece by piece and assemble inside.

I have 2 friends with them and they liked that feature.

That said, I have a Browning. NO fire but good security. Holds 30 guns nicely.

HM

12. Buddy O

Buddy O TS Member

Appreciate all the advice.

13. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

The problem with most gun safes is not the door, but the thickness of the walls and top. Most are 12-14 gauge steel, and the better ones are 10 gauge. Most of the fire protection material provides no burglary protection. It takes about three minutes with a drill and sawzall to get to your guns thru the wall.

When you install your safe, put it in a corner so that only the door, and one side is accessible. If possible, make it difficult to get to any of the sides of the safe. Anything to slow a burglar down. Any safe can be breached, but most burglars won’t spend the time if it is too difficult. Be sure to bolt the safe down, not only to prevent theft, but from tipping over when the door is open. Spend some time researching safes. You will be amazed how many safes are just tin boxes.

14. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Every time I look at my damaged Fort Knox, where a burglar attempted unsuccessfully to break into it, I feel that I made the right choice. I endorse Fort Knox wholeheartedly.

Bob

15. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Like Barry above, I also have Liberty and it is great. I feel like the quality of the safe is excellent and it was a pleasure doing business with them.

16. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

I have 3 Cannon gunsafes and I couldn't be more pleased. I believe they provide the best value for you dollar. If money is no object Fort Knox is probably the nicest.

Regardless of which brand you choose get the keypad combination lock.

17. Chuckbuster

Chuckbuster TS Member

Bought a new CANNON safe about a dozen years ago. Lifetime warranty--yea right--after three years the lock went bad. I called Cannon, they said they don't guarantee the locks. What the hell else can go wrong with a 800 lb. steel box. I was not satisfied with their service. It cost me 100 dollars for the fix.

Tom K.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.