1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Repro Laws.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Auctioneer, Nov 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Do the repro agents have a right to just come onto your property when ever they want?

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Cats have come onto my property to "repro" without my permission...(they usually left with a .22lr souvenir though).

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

These are general California laws. others are probably available if you search the internet.

The Rules of Repossession — Breaching the Peace

Taking the vehicle from unsecured driveways, open carports, parking lots at work and city streets is generally allowed. But the repossession company may not:
    Enter a closed or locked garage, or otherwise break and enter onto property.

Enter into your home, unless invited by you.

Damage the vehicle during the repossession or attempts at repossession.

Threaten you or commit violence.

Touch anyone, force you out of the automobile, etc.

Threaten you will be arrested.

Claim the repossession agent is a police officer or has "special government authority."

Force you to pull over to the side of the road.

Have law enforcement personnel present unless the creditor has already sued you.

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Maybe- depends on your state law

A general rule is that it has to be peaceful

regards from Iowa

Gene

5. 101Diamond

101Diamond TS Member

My guess, If you are not a dead beat this should not be and issue. If the repro guys come, you do not own the propety!

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

If you own the land, and do not give permission, yes. If it's an apartment complex carport, no.

7. g7777777

Likes to shoot-- as someone above said-- if you arent a dead beat than why do you care if someone comes and takes their property back that you havent paid for.

There are allowable times to go onto another persons property and in some states and some cases- this would be one of them as long as you didnt have to break in

regards from Iowa

Gene

8. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I believe you'll have a hard time using the trespassing claim, If you do you'll be needing a fence. You cannot just have someone busted for walking across your property.

9. g7777777

Sometimes they can come on to your property to recover their property-- it all depends

Contact an attorney in your state, with exact details, if you need a firm answer on this.

Gene

10. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

PAY YOUR BILLS ..AND YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE WORRY...ABOUT REPO'S

11. dlamar

dlamar TS Member

Auctioneer:

It is not a question of "rights"; it is a practical question of a professional vs. dumb as rocks debtors, who most often have no clue and are too witless to remedy the situation before things get well out of hand. Was an agent of a major bank first year out college long ago and far away so I've been there, done that, & repoed enough cars to fill several good size auto dealers lot. While banks generally do not employ folks to repo personal property these days (it is now an out-sourced task) the "game" is essentially the same.

A repo agency is a business - nothing more and nothing less. It is what they do to eat. They will know exactly where the lines in the sand are drawn, they will know every trick in the book, like the Terminator they just keep going, and they will be on a first name basis with all manner of clerks, magistrates, DMV staff, law enforcemant agencies, and the list goes on and on. The only sure fire way to stop them is a bankruptcy petition or leave the country.

And by the way, don't even think about putting a shot over one of their heads. At the end of the day they will have your car, boat, aircraft, whatever, while you are calling attorneys and desperately trying to arrange bail.

12. Auctioneer

The reason I ask is because at 4:00am a loud dualy truck came in the drive. Why does a person who is trying to enter someones property quiety have such loud mufflers? I didn't know who it was and we do have a problem of people poaching and spot lighting the place. In the area also people have been known to steal out of peoples barns. Well this guy went all the way past the house and up to the barns. When he came out I was not to friendly at all. He said he was after a car that was bought by so and so and he had defaulted on the loan. I told him that that person never lived here and that I didn't know who he was. He then told me that he used cottage address and the phone number also went with this address. The person who did live here must have let one of his friends use this address and phone number for the loan but they got kicked out a month ago. I also asked him what right did he have to be on my property at 4:00am? He said the bank gave him the right. The bank does not own a thing on this place and they don't a have a right to be on it or to send someone to my property. I then told him to leave. I was not to sure where I stood with the laws. Two nights later he came back and I went off. He left and fast. I followed and was on the phone with the police. He did pull over and the police were on his side even with the fact the police know who I was with all the court cases I had with catching poachers on my place. The repro guy said the phone number lead him to the place again and that he knew the car was there. I said you dumb a$$ people can take their old phone number to another house. That is the old address to that number. I wanted to take him to court for trespassing but the police would not give me his info. I think I pushed the line to almost the point the police were ready to arrest me. I looked at the guy and said DO NOT COME BACK TO MY PROPERTY EVER. YOU WILL BE ARRESTED IF YOU DO. YOUR JUST LUCKY THIS TIME THAT YOUR NOT. I then left. He didn't come back for a third time. What right does the bank to enter my property? I owe them nothing.

13. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Shoot his tires out if he comes back. That'll teach him. Tell the bank to replace em for him.

14. Auctioneer

Well I can't say I wasn't thinking of something like that. LOL But the law I know will go nuts if I did.

15. Auctioneer

In this state you could get away with the grease but the nails and pitchforks you could go to jail for that. I know of this happening on someones property in years past. whistle whitle. The nails do a great job to for what I have heard. But it is not within the laws and if someone gets hurt by stepping on them you could be sued.

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I was a REPO guy way back when I was young and really stupid ... They can come on your property to retrieve property that has a lien against it and it is not locked in a building, garage etc ... Car ports do not constitute the vehicle being inside and they are there for the taking, once they are in the vehicle possession laws say that possession is 9/10th of the law in most states and it will be leaving with them at that point even if you call the Cops ...

We had a really bad ass guy who owned ROD (Raymond O'Donald) Trucking in Cicero, Illinois and he had 8 semi's that he owed a bunch of money to the bank on but they were always locked in a garage ... The dump trailers would be left outside in the yard but the tractors were always inside with Hoyt Dobermans on guard ... We went there one night and My ex Brother in law was with to help us hook up the trailers and get access to the building ... Jimmy (my ex brother in law) picked the lock, went inside and put the Dobermans in their cages, fed them and gave them fresh water, and we took every tractor trailer this guy owned with us when we left, after we called the Police to have them as witness's that the trucks were indeed outside ... They asked if they were inside and we said no that they were left out in the yard all hooked up and ready to go so they filed their paperwork accordingly ... The next morning was more like a comedy than anything else, the bank was on the phone, ROD was on the phone with the bank, the Police called several times, they all wanted to know where the tractor trailers were and we refused to tell them until the bank gave us the okay to do so ... The Police believed the trucks were outside because the guard dogs were all caged when they got there and the Cops who showed up when we were there witnessed that the trucks were in the yard and the dogs were caged, they could see them when they looked inside through the windows ... We got away with one, the bank got their money and Raymond O'Donald got taught a really good lesson in life ... I got shot at many times, lucky most of them must of been trapshooters and couldn't hit a moving target (Their car) ... lol ... Thats one thing I do not think I would do over again if given the chance ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

I swear on my kids life this is true and accurate ...

17. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

WPT, interesting story. Thanks for sharing it with us. Kim

18. Auctioneer

GOOD FOR THAT COUNTY.

19. g7777777

It amazes me - those of you that have posted here that dont think property that belongs to someone else should be seized and returned.

If you dont pay for somethiing- you dont have a right to it-

Theifs and deadbeats cheat honest people out of money and oftentimes put them out of buisness.

The honest people pay for the deadbeats and the theives.

I really dont understand those of you that support the deadbeats and theives.

regards from Iowa

Gene

20. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Gene:

I,m with you on this one.

Some of these post's would make a person want to be sure a check cleared the bank before you shipped anything you might sell on this site.

Absolutely amazing???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.