1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reports on E3?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tuscarora 99, May 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Hello everyone. I was wondering what are the reports on E3. How do people like it and in what loads? Is it a good handicap powder?

2. Clay KillR

Clay KillR TS Member

I just put 2 boxes, 25 each, a 7/8oz. and a 1oz. with E3 through the chrono, 75 degrees F.

All AA HS hulls, W209 primers and magnum 7.5s.

7/8oz., the Hot Pink Downrange XXL-7/8, a #29 bushing (MEC) dropping about 15.4 grains E3.
    Average 1220
    Extreme Spread 52
    SD 14
    The readings were much more consistant than with Clays at a similar speed.

1oz., the Neon Green Downrange DR-XL-1, A #30 bushing (MEC) dropping about 15.9 grains E3.
    Average 1222
    Extreme Spread 50
    SD 11

The Chrono I use takes the speed of the first pellet which passes the sensors, which tends to be a little faster than the rest. Subtract about 30 for an average pellet velocity, which is what factory rounds are advertised at.

Overall, I like the numbers E3 gave. It's definetly a great 7/8oz. and light to medium 1oz. powder. The recoil seemed a bit "sharper" than Clays, I would imagine because of the faster burn speed. A Light Handicap load would probably be fine, but a heavy HDCP, especially with 11/8oz. will give a harder recoil with high pressures. Clays or Green Dot is probably a better Heavy Handicap Powder. I used 0.5-1.0 grains less with E3 to produce the same velocity than I did with Clays.

For a handicap load, I stay with 1oz. (I'm only shooting from the 20 yard line) and go up to a #32 bushing in Clays. I might stay with a #31 in E3, depending on the exact drop and velocity.

My goal is to use a a roughly 1200fps 1oz. load for registered 16 yard singles and first shot doubles. I use my handicap load for the second shot. I wanted to make a same velocity 7/8oz. load to practice with and uncover weak spots in my game. I wasn't happy with Clays at those speeds in 7/8oz., E3 with no doubt performed better at the chrono.
    The breaks seemed just as good, if not better.

As always, verify exactly what your machine and bushings are dropping with a scale.

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

IMO, e3 is a superb powder for any load it was intended for. It meters very well. Burn rate appears to be unaffected by temperature. Very consistent, as well. It is one of those powders that seem to do everything well, regardless of the components you use. Just pick a recipe from Alliant's data and have at it.

I use it for 7/8 and 1oz loads. I have used it for 1 1/8oz @1145fps, but it has a sharper recoil than I like. So I use American Select or Green Dot for 1 1/8oz loads.

Try some. You will like it.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Great for 7/8 and light to medium 1oz loads in the 12 ga. I would not use it for 1 1/8 oz loads, since there are powders that would give lower pressures. It works well in the lighter loads in cold weather.

5. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

Its starting a good following in handgun loads too. clean and light recoil.Its a little hard to get uniform charges in 2 to 4 grains but I like it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.