1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

REPORTER WHO GAVE OUT NAMES ADDRESS OF GUN OWNERS

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by LAD39, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAD39

LAD39 Member

This is reporter who gave out name and address of legal gun owners.
    Dwight R. Worley 230-6 139th Ave. Springfield Gardens N.Y. Phone 718 527 0832
    ...Ladder 39

2. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

This man should be prosecuted and the paper fined Billions of dollars for putting innocent civilians in danger and letting criminals know where guns are
    that they can steal. Or hurt their famalies.

Gary Bryant a CCW owner and carrier
    Dr.longshot

3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Gary,

Sadly, he has a 'right' to do this. The information is a matter of public record.

Protected by the First Amendment, like we are protected by the Second.

Now, let's talk about the safe and correct use of these...

I presume that you, as a CCW holder, carry for the protection of self and loved ones... and I'd be happy to spend time talking with you or sharing a meal - especially when you are armed. You with a gun are NOT the problem.

Mr. Worley, in essence, is showing the same depraved indifference shown by the sick, twisted individuals who have no problem using a firearm to shoot up a school or movie theater.

It isn't the word processor, but the idiot behind the keyboard. Just like it isn't the gun, but the idiot behind the trigger.

Try to gage him with restrictions on the First Amendment and watch him and his brethren scream and yell, yet they will gleefully try to gut the Second.

Go figure.

I for one, if they were to publish my info would just start carrying the heaviest weapons I have at all times - forewarned is forearmed. Might be kind of fun to have some punk come to steal guns and be ready for him...

4. magicman

magicman TS Member

I live in Johnson County,Iowa. The names of new carry permit holders are published in the paper every month!

5. trapperwads

trapperwads Well-Known Member

Cancel your subscriptions to any Gannet newspaper no matter where you live. The papers like all businesses live and die by the money pouring in. Newspapers have gone under for lack of funds and set advertising rates by circulation numbers. We can put these mouthy liberals in the unemployment lines. I have already canceled my local Gannet paper subscription. We have power in numbers and this is a battle we can win! They have shown by publishing these gunowners names they will stop at nothing to achieve their liberal agenda. Cancel your subscription and STOP THE PRESSES. ed nichols

6. willing

willing Member

Are the bad guys coming for your guns ..or staying away because of them??
    Bill

7. trapperwads

trapperwads Well-Known Member

It doesn,t matter whether they are coming or going. That paper has the legal right to publish gun owners names. However it was not morally right and they and their national chain can suffer consequences which subscribers can inflict by cancelling. ed nichols

8. Nutso

Nutso Member

I think I might be just a s pissed if I were a local without a gun, because the map clearly shows homes that aren't defended.

Some one should do a before and after study of home invasions/robberies/burglaries.

9. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Nutso, the people without concealed carry licenses are as well or better armed than those who are licensed. How about we have our local papers publish the names and addresses of all residents who have a felony convicition or a sex offense conviciton on their record? Now there's a list I can get my teeth into.

10. sasquach

sasquach Member

Any body got a cell phone number or an email for this turd? Seems his phone is busy.

11. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

I have no problem with people knowing I have guns.

I think a group should get together and post the names, and especially the addresses, of all the people in town who DON'T own guns. Tit for tat.
    I wonder which list a burglar would find more interesting?

12. Nutso

Nutso Member

Mike Campbell, exactly the way I see it. Only thing better would be to show those with dog licenses for Dobermans too.

13. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

The problem with identifying gun owners is that crooks who want guns know where to go to steal them now have a roadmap. I sure as hell don't want to make my home a target for gun theves. It's also nobody's business what I own.

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

It was said on the news this morning that 40% of those identified are retired police officers living in the area!! I'd say those guys are livid by that paper notifying crooks they've helped put in prison know exactly where they live!! Yeah, that rag was really helpful, a gherk rag reporter too lazy to find real news.

Hap

15. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Why are you blaming the reporter? He just reports what the editor tells him to do.

16. Remdog1187

Remdog1187 Well-Known Member

The owners, shareholders, editor, reporter, pressman and delivery boy are all responsible. No one get's let off here.

17. Nutso

Nutso Member

I think we all agree, everyone should be pissed: the gun owners concerned about theft, the gun owners concerned with being blackballed in their neighborhood (all though I could care less myself), the policemen who now have had their address published, those without guns who now have had their homes shown as not defended.

I do contend that at true unbiased thinker should seize this opportunity to do a before and after crime study. To me it appears this area is now prone to home invasion and burglaries. Due the above mentioned angles.

What is really ironic is that the newspaper has unwittingly now created the circumstance where more guns could end up in the hands for criminals.

The newspaper has also strengthened the conviction of gunowners to fight gun registration, in order to avoid the abuse of gun ownership records.

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Gun owners in Oregon have been trying to get concealed carry databases restricted from public access because of media abuse. Unfortunately attempts to pass a bill doing so have so far narrowly failed.

Some proactive sheriffs have sent out questionaires to concealed carry permit owners asking a variety of questions, ranging from theft concerns to security issues, if the holder was a victim of domestic violence, etc. This then provides what they say is justification to have that individual record sealed. A lot of permit holders have sealed their records. So far the media has not challenged this.

The irony is that DMV records were sealed in 1997 after they were abused too. Only in this case it was by advertisers and identity thieves. You'd think gun owners would be afforded the same privacy considerations, but sadly this shows the total irrationality of the anti-gun mentality at work here.

Publishing personal information for political reasons got its start after the Rodney King beating trial. A large newspaper in Los Angeles did not like the jury verdict, so they published the names, home addresses and employers of all the members of the jury. In the opinion of many, this was not only done as retribution, but also could well be considered a form of jury tampering, as warning to future juries to "get their minds right".

Are there First Amendment rights issues at play here? Yes, there clearly are. But there are also right to privacy issues as well. A good compromise would be that the media could have access to concealed carry records on an individual basis for a legitimate purpose, like if someone got arrested. But not blanket access to the entire database. Or allow individuals to chose to seal their record at the time of application or renewal, instead of just the lucky ones with an understanding sheriff.

19. pgaphillip

pgaphillip Member

Information on everyone at the newspaper, including editor, and publisher. If you would like to have it. I am just exercising my freedoms for your information.

http://christopherfountain.wordpress.com/2012/12/24/sauce-for-the-goose/

20. Nutso

Nutso Member

Brian I agree, it's interesting that an Media organization is demonstrating an anti 2nd Ammendment bias, while they in fact are protected by the 1st Amendment. If one falls they all are in jeopardy of falling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

janet hasson snopes