1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Replacing water filter

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 635 G, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I'm in Fl for the winter, I have to replace the waterfilter in the condo we're renting. The filter is in a Whirlpool refrig., it is a wf-240-l, the only question is do you have to turn off the water supply before changing out the filter.

Phil Berkowitz

2. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Phil I would look to see if there was a valve between the refrig nd the wall where the tbing comes out to the filter. that is if the filter is for the refrig only. You dont have to necessarily drain the llines but do take the pressure off them. shouldn.t be hard to do. If there is valve between filter and wall, just try to get glass of water from frig door. that should releive pressure from line.

Bob

3. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

My GE is just a twist and out also , don`t have to turn any valve off . If your unsure , visit an appliance dealer and ask them .

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have an inline filter for the drinking water and another one on the frig, I do not turn off the water when I change the filters and do not have a problem with water leaking ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

635 G, I would like to have renters like you. We do not need a water softer but we do not get winter renters that will do anything. Hell, most of them call us to open window if it gets too hot!

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

If the filter is inside the fridge, inside a plastic housing, it doesn't have any pressure in it (unless someone is getting a glass of water at the time), but it will spill the water out of it if you aren't careful. Put a towel under it and twist it off. Toughest part is getting it to twist off. Mine comes with a little plastic wrench that sure helps. Good luck.

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Phil, I have yet to see a water filter that is inside the ref. that you had to turn off water supply for. That said, it still might be a good idea. You'll find the valve under the sink. There should be 4 of them. 2 for sink one for dishwasher and the other for the ref. Do not overtighten these valves. Easy does it. I still would get the owner to do it. If your upstairs and have other condo's below you, you put yourself in harms way even if it leaks months down the road. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

8. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

As said some do some dont, the directions in package will tell you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.