1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

replacing BT99 springs

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by melbournemike, Jun 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

I recently bought a set of springs for my BT99,25yrs old and slow to fire! I took it to a local gunsmith,as I dont feel comfortable trying it myself, the problem was the "gunsmith" couldnt get the stock off to replace the springs! Does anyone know of a problem with Browning stock bolts that could cause this ?

2. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Hopefully he noticed that the trigger guard tang has a screw in it that takes a super thin blade to remove. Mine is a 1978 model and comes off quite easy. Beware of amateur gunsmiths; there are a lot of them out there.

3. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Has the stock ever been removed in 25yrs?

4. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

The stock has never been off,and I cant rule out rust although I keep me guns cleaned and oiled I live in the rust capitol of the world,coastal Florida!

5. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Mike, If you ever get the stock off you are in for an unpleasant surprise. While you can't rule out rust I will rule it in. The stock should be removed several times a year and the guts cleaned and oiled. No matter how well you think you have cared for it they rust inside. Ever shoot in the rain? Try an impact wrench on the stock bolt.

6. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

Thanks Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.