1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

replacement rubber for trap machine throwing arms?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Trying to help the club find a more economical solution to replacing the complete arms on our beomat skeet machines, which are pretty price at $50+ each, and have to be replaced on all 4 of our machines at least once a year.

I was able to remove the rubber from one of the worn out arms (the metal is fine, its just the rubber thats shot).

Has anyone sourced rubber that would be suitable for this? I've found something I think would work from McMaster, but thought i'd ask here 1st before i gambled.

This is what i'm thinking:

86495K328
    (Same as 86495K38)
    High-Strength Oil-Resistant Buna-N Rubber 5.0 mm Thick, 12" X 24", 60A Durometer
    In stock at $28.72 Each

The other alternative I found was:

86495K428
    (Same as 86495K38)
    High-Strength Oil-Resistant Buna-N Rubber 5.0 mm Thick, 12" X 24", 70A Durometer
    In stock at $28.72 Each

Not quite sure what durometer to try 1st, and don't have any way of telling what it currently is.

The factory rubber is translucent off-clear, and the rubber I found was black, but I doubt that matters much.

If one of the 2 pieces I found would work, I would be able to rebuild 36 arms for $28.72 (or 79 cents/rebuild) vs $50+ for a whole new arm.

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Good luck Skeeter. Let us know how you make out. We also would be interested. Our Super Star trap traps have a hard plastic for lack of a better description. Our BeoMat skeet machines are like yours. We use both materials in the skeet machines depending on the time of year. Thanks, Bob

3. Trussman2

Trussman2 Active Member

Neither Buna-n or Nitrile are good choices as the ozone will ruin them in a few months. EPDM or silicone will hold up well, but I'm not sure how you would attach silicone, & it's quite expensive. I've had good luck with EPDM.

Gary

O-ring Compound Descriptions

E70
    Ethylene Propylene, EPDM:

EPDM is a terpolymer combining ethylene, propylene and a diene monomer. EP materials offer a temperature range of -65F to +300F and offer excellent resistance to ozone, weathering, steam, water and phosphate ester type hydraulic fluids. EP can be manufactured to conform to FDA requirements, making it ideal for use with foods and medical devices.

N70 / N90
    Nitrile, Buna-N:

Nitrile, also known as Buna-N or NBR, is a copolymer of Butadiene and Acrylonitirle. It is the most commonly used elastomer for sealing products. Nitriles have a temperature range of -40F to +250F and are exceptionally resistant to petroleum base oils and hydrocarbon fuels. Nitrile materials also exhibit excellent tensile strength and abrasion resistance properties. Nitrile performs well with most dilute acids, silicone oils and lubricants. It is not recommended for use with ketones, aromatic hydrocarbons and phosphate ester hydraulic fluids.

S70
    Silicone:

Silicone materials offer outstanding temperature resistance, from -80F to +400F. Silicone materials provide excellent resistance to sunlight, ozone, oxygen, UV light and moisture. It's inert qualities make it the preferred material for use with food handling and medical applications. Silicones offer poor tensile strength, tear and abrasion resistance, and are not recommend for use in dynamic applications.

V75BR
    Fluorocarbon, VITON®:

VITON® is the trade name for DuPont-Dow Elastomers Fluorocarbon or FKM material. VITON® has a temperature range of -20F to +400Fand provides excellent resistance to a wide variety of chemicals. While exhibiting exceptional resistance to chemical attack, VITON® has limited low temperature capabilities. In some applications intermittent exposure to +600F can be tolerated for brief periods of time.

4. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Could it be the same stuff Pat Traps use?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beomat skeet arms

replacing belta on beomat trap machine