1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Replacement Glock barrel ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Doug Brown, Jan 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Will a Bar-Sto replacement barrel make a noticed difference in accuracy for my Glock 17 ? Would like to know before I spend the $200. Thanks

2. Miles

Miles Member

imho bar-sto makes 'exceptional' barrels for 1911's. clearly the best i have for 1911's. i have fitted so many, and none compare.

i have 2 glocks [a .9 and 45] but find their barrels very good. never tried bar-sto for them. but have heard that some friends i know think they are superior.

that is all i know and can say, sorry if not helpful. but for sure, you can not go wrong with bar-sto.
    miles

3. dog easy

dog easy TS Member

Hi Doug,

The bottom line is the Glock is more accurate than 99% of the shooters can shoot it. If you're looking for tight groups, the Glock is not the pistol you need. The Bar-Sto will give you a better group but at what cost. If a half inch better grouping is worth $200, by all means go for it.

As Michael Bane is fond or saying: "Son, don't own no gun that don't go bang". I own Glocks because I can depend on them to go bang.

Shoot safe, John

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

A target gun the Glock is not. :^)

About the only logical reason for a replacement barrel in the Glock is to shoot cast lead bullets. Stock barrels are exquisitely made, but for extreme reliability over extreme accuracy. For bullseye shooting, look at another gun platform. I have had great luck with Storm Lake barrels for this purpose.

For an accurate defensive sidearm that MUST work every time, keep the Glock. Train with it, keep it serviced and in good repair, and leave the lightened trigger stuff alone. They are plenty accurate for IPSC and IDPA.

I have a NY-1 8 lb trigger in my open carry G-22. I carry my G-19 in an IWB holster, and have the NY-2 12 lb trigger in it. Leave the light stuff out of a defensive arm.

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Shooting USA just had a show where they grouped the factory and Bar Sto barrels. The Bar sto shot same hole groups in a vice. Not so with the factory barrel.

6. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Glocks are not known as exceptionally accurate pistols. An after-market
    drop-in barrel won't make much of a difference accuracy-wise. If Bar-Sto
    fits a barrel to your gun, you probably will see an accuracy increase.
    On the plus side, any after market barrel is less likly to go "Ka-Boom"
    as Glock barrels frequently do.

7. Shooting Coach

Most firearms shoot better in a shooting rest or vise. Although steady and strong, my hands are not as steady as a vise.

Putting a match barrel in a Glock is like putting adjustable sights on my Smith & Wesson Chief's 38 Spl. It has been done, but was it a waste of substance?

8. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

If accuracy is the game, forget buying a new barrel for the Glock go with a 1911 frame and about any barrel with out shoot the Glock. And don't you just hate those triggers in the Glock?! My house is a no Glock zone, you leave it in the car when you come to my house, kinda a rule the wife has!

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

If the Bar-Sto barrel has a fully supported chamber, it's probably worth the extra $200 in some calibers. I've seen the results of a Glock blowing out through the magazine and grip frame. It's an ugly mess. Yes, they do call it a "Ka-Boom". In the 17 (9mm), it usually isn't as much of a problem, but if it's a .40 or .45 caliber, an aftermarket barrel might be something to consider. As for the accuracy, most Glocks will shoot better than I can, so for me it wouldn't help, unless I wanted to shoot cast bullets. I'm sure there would be a difference in accuracy, but if it's worth $200 I can't say. I have an aftermarket barrel in my 23 and it shoots fine. I don't worry as much about the unsupported case heads with it any more.

10. Shooting Coach

Ouch! That HAD to hurt. Revolvers go Kaboom too.

11. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

as SC said barrel is going to help for cast lead. If you reload you are going to have a problem with the Glocked brass. It is not as much as the head is not supported as the fact that a Glock is made to shoot dirty ammo so the chamber is larger. Good gun yes ,target gun NO

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Shooting Coach

That one MUST have hurt! I wonder what it took to bust open a handgun like that Ruger Super Redhawk.

13. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Probably ran out of Blue Dot, so he used some Bullseye!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bar sto barrels for glock