1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Replace Your Paper ATA Card

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by AllAmer4, Jul 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AllAmer4

AllAmer4 Member

If you have a smartphone and would like to do away with your paper ATA card, you'll be interested in The Trap App.

The ATA still requires you to carry your paper card to show proof of handicap yardage, but now there is no need to write scores and calculate averages on the paper card. The Trap App will do it all for you and you're allowed to present it at the time of classification.

-Record registered, league, and practice scores.
    -Calculate averages for 16 Yard, Handicap, & Doubles
    -Record scores by target year
    -Compare your scores to the averages at each shoot for class, category, & the field.

Expected release in the Apple and Android app stores is early August. Please sign up to be the first to know!

Thanks,

Dean

http://trapshootingonline.com/thetrapapp/
  2. Donm

Donm Member

Dean. Would you please post something here when it comes out. Sounds good. Everyone undere the age of 25 will have it for sure. Maybe some of us old guys too.
  3. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

Dean, great Idea & I'll use it on my iPhone; my age is not 25, and higher than the transposition there of.

Is the ATA going to upload the (our) resistered scores into it?

That is, will there be a a separate registered tab for ATA classification, and "other" for non registered?

jack in PA
  4. AllAmer4

AllAmer4 Member

Jack, at this point, the ATA will not be loading scores into it. I'm hoping to work with them to achieve this in the future.

You'll be able to record, and separate, registered from league and practice. It requires your manual input, however, to type in each score (this is already done on the paper card anyhow).

Thanks for your interest.

Dean
  5. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

Will it be free?
  6. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Just when I'm thinking to get back into ATA shooting, now this. To complicated for me. Why can't things just stay the same? You young guys will find some way to get us older guys out of the sport for sure. One way is to go high tech and some of us will certainly be watching from the side line. Just a matter of time before the ATA will require this.
    Steve Balistreri
  7. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I will have it on my Android as soon as you release it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Pretty cool stuff. I keep Davids ts.com scoresheet on my phone already..
  9. AllAmer4

AllAmer4 Member

@Catching Chrome - sorry it won't be free. There is a significant development cost associated with it.

@SeniorSmoke - Nobody is forced to use it. You can still use your paper card, and in fact, you'll need to bring it with you to verify handicap yardage anyhow. Plenty of people don't have smartphones, so it can't possibly be required purely as a practical matter.

Take a look here. 50% of US consumers use smartphones.... http://techcrunch.com/2012/05/07/nielsen-smartphones-used-by-50-4-of-u-s-consumers-android-48-5-of-them/
  10. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

AllAmer4:
    Trust me, it will be required someday in the very near future. Nothing against you, I just do not like change.
    Steve
  11. Unknown1

Unknown1 Active Member

The battery never dies in a paper card and it never catches a virus!
  12. running bear

running bear Member

Allamerica4, Why should I pay you when I can keep it on my card free?
  13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Will this be a free App??
  14. Unknown1

Unknown1 Active Member

<blockquote><I>"Will this be a free App?"</i></blockquote>See post up 4 by AllAmer4 ^

Keller
  15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Thanks Keller. I didn't see that the first time thru. I use Davids system here and my paper card still works good.

Like you said, "The battery never dies in a paper card and it never catches a virus!"

Besides, I'm a tightwad.
  16. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

You had me lost at a cost. I am all about electronics and I embrace change, because if you don't you'll be left behind. However, the developmental cost shouldn't be so much that the app should cost money. Good luck.

Right now while I am waiting in line for the handicapper, I load up the ATA website showing my current scores and singles average on my Droid Razr Maxx. Just in case there is a dispute.
  17. perazzi97

perazzi97 TS Member

I would not be afraid to pay for an app like this. it seems like a great idea for tech savvy people! Please message me when you do release this for android! And to all the people Complaining about a price. If you would watch what it takes to make something like this, i'm pretty sure you'd pony up that one dollar and ninety nine cents.
  18. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Active Member

I haven't written down a score for ten years, probably. I'll use this.
  19. Jacob Guthrie

Jacob Guthrie TS Member

I'm with you Barry what's an average card? LOL
  20. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

I for one like this. I will be purchasing and trying out this app, provided it isnt priced too high, and I applaud those who are developing it. Hopefully the ATA will cooperate and make this even more useful. I will be using my paper card as well though. The app will be useful to review my scores and even share screen shots! Thanks guys! It will be interesting to see if anyone attempts to punch a hole through an iPhone when they earn yardage. Lol.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.